IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Seat Belt Pillar noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-17, 08:04 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Seat Belt Pillar noise

anyone else have the annoying seat belt pillar noise? driver side is worse, but if i don't buckle the passenger seat belt it'll bang against the pillar. mostly driver side is the seat belt adjustment lever that makes the most noise. my GS 350 doesn't do this and never did any of my Fords.
Old 01-18-17, 09:25 PM
eddyisf
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I love the seat belt noise and also the chitty handling ..also how the rear view mirror vibrates...
Old 01-18-17, 10:05 PM
ISFCOBRA
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the issue on the passenger side and it took the dealership 2 days to pin point where it was coming from. it was a loose plate or bolt on the pillar.
Old 01-18-17, 10:33 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

No seatbelt noise No chitty handling No vibrating mirror. Hey eddy you better do some work.lol
Old 01-19-17, 04:23 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine does this too but its pretty much drowned out by exhaust/music/wind. Its like a small creaking noise though instead of a cracking.

Last edited by nks979; 01-19-17 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-19-17, 07:48 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by isfvss
No seatbelt noise No chitty handling No vibrating mirror. Hey eddy you better do some work.lol
well i know the mirror was fixed and the handling/comfort is better after coils adjusted, everything else is still Chitty LOL.
Old 01-19-17, 07:50 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFCOBRA
i had the issue on the passenger side and it took the dealership 2 days to pin point where it was coming from. it was a loose plate or bolt on the pillar.
do you know exactly what it was and how it was fixed? IIRC we have side airbags right, so i don't want to try and fix myself if there's a chance it's activate.
Old 01-19-17, 11:42 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by nks979
Mine does this too but its pretty much drowned out by exhaust/music/wind. Its like a small creaking noise though instead of a cracking.
Mine does this too... can't figure out which piece of plastic is actually moving. It sounds like it is somewhere on the B pillar or the window surround or something. Drives me nuts sometimes.
Old 01-19-17, 12:02 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

What kind of noise is it? I haven't experienced anything of the sort.
Old 01-19-17, 01:16 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joker4096
What kind of noise is it? I haven't experienced anything of the sort.
i experience chattering, squeaking, clunking and my favorite, rattling.
Old 01-19-17, 01:18 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mindcrime
i experience chattering, squeaking, clunking and my favorite, rattling.
Oh, that's my suspension that does that LOL.
Old 01-19-17, 01:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,078 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Before you try to waste a lot of time finding a source of noise, use 3M Dry-type silicone spray on the rubber seals around the doors and sunroof. You would be amazed at how many noises disappear when you do this. There was a thread about it long ago in the 2IS section that I saw when I had a 350. I have done it ever since and eliminated lots of interior noises in my F.
Old 01-19-17, 02:33 PM
dprada01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I purchased my ISF I had a 2012 LCI 335i M-sport with only 18k miles at time of purchase. Man that thing creaked and rattled and bottomed out at every pothole.
I stumbled across a thread about the lexus being compared to a tomb in terms of how quiet it was. Fast forward a few years and I had to get rid of the bimmer ( out of warranty LOL)
I test drove the F and fell in love. All the test drives were spirited runs and checking out the engine performance and suspension (awesome!!!)
Now i hate my life because even with my upgraded suspension which made the ride 100x better, I still have insane amounts of little clicks and rattles that with enough music volume they disappear but crap!
I love driving without music sometimes and i have soooooooo many little rattles. I've fixed at least 10 myself with felt tape and teflon but more keep appearing.
Just a small list of ones i have not been able to fix yet

- digital clock surround squeaks over bumps
- behind my gauge cluster clicks over bumps
- center ac vents creak over bumps
- side panels of the center console creak and rattle
- both door pillars underneath seat belts have like a crunching sound
- passenger door rattles with music bass and bumps
- sunroof rattle (seal is loose and jiggles around)
- rear deck rattles with bass and bumps
- rear view mirror rattle
- rear passenger internal door rattle ( goes away with window slightly lowered)

Oh and my dashboard is melting. I purchased my 2008 with 52k miles about 2 years ago for 28k. When I am not driving the car spirited I honestly rather drive my companies brand new Kia soul that has more tech and feels more luxurious than my Lexus.
All in all i love the F when i get on it but thats maybe 30% of the time. High payments for an outdated (tech and ride quality) / rough 2008 is starting to bug me.

The weird thing is that there are some random days that the car is as quiet as a mouse. Same route to work so I know its not the roads. Maybe im going crazy?
Old 01-19-17, 06:32 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dprada01
Before I purchased my ISF I had a 2012 LCI 335i M-sport with only 18k miles at time of purchase. Man that thing creaked and rattled and bottomed out at every pothole.
I stumbled across a thread about the lexus being compared to a tomb in terms of how quiet it was. Fast forward a few years and I had to get rid of the bimmer ( out of warranty LOL)
I test drove the F and fell in love. All the test drives were spirited runs and checking out the engine performance and suspension (awesome!!!)
Now i hate my life because even with my upgraded suspension which made the ride 100x better, I still have insane amounts of little clicks and rattles that with enough music volume they disappear but crap!
I love driving without music sometimes and i have soooooooo many little rattles. I've fixed at least 10 myself with felt tape and teflon but more keep appearing.
Just a small list of ones i have not been able to fix yet

- digital clock surround squeaks over bumps
- behind my gauge cluster clicks over bumps
- center ac vents creak over bumps
- side panels of the center console creak and rattle
- both door pillars underneath seat belts have like a crunching sound
- passenger door rattles with music bass and bumps
- sunroof rattle (seal is loose and jiggles around)
- rear deck rattles with bass and bumps
- rear view mirror rattle
- rear passenger internal door rattle ( goes away with window slightly lowered)

Oh and my dashboard is melting. I purchased my 2008 with 52k miles about 2 years ago for 28k. When I am not driving the car spirited I honestly rather drive my companies brand new Kia soul that has more tech and feels more luxurious than my Lexus.
All in all i love the F when i get on it but thats maybe 30% of the time. High payments for an outdated (tech and ride quality) / rough 2008 is starting to bug me.

The weird thing is that there are some random days that the car is as quiet as a mouse. Same route to work so I know its not the roads. Maybe im going crazy?
I feel the same, however i don't have a couple issues as yours, but there are times when I don't hear the noises(not in my head HAHA). It seems everyday other day in my city there's street construction and when the street is patched back up it's worse than better and it's another obstacle I have to avoid, if I remember, when i go over that stretch of street. If the IS F was 15, 20 years old i could understand, but Toyota somehow must have only tested the car on the track that was newly paved.
Old 01-19-17, 06:34 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Before you try to waste a lot of time finding a source of noise, use 3M Dry-type silicone spray on the rubber seals around the doors and sunroof. You would be amazed at how many noises disappear when you do this. There was a thread about it long ago in the 2IS section that I saw when I had a 350. I have done it ever since and eliminated lots of interior noises in my F.
​​​​​​​thank you for the reminder. I have read that thread, but just forgot about doing it. oh, i won't be wasting any money, I do have two year warrant i bought though so maybe i can get some things fixed for free.

Quick Reply: Seat Belt Pillar noise