IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Sound System Upgrade Options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-17, 04:36 AM
sabapa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Sound System Upgrade Options?

Hello everyone! First time posting here, as a matter of fact, first time posting for any car, ever. So I traded in my 2015 Kia Soul for 2014 IS 350 AWD F Sport. Soul was nice, but it didn't have the looks, comfort, and power of the IS 350. Only thing the IS doesn't have is the premium sound system. I have been spoiled by the Inifinity sound system in my Soul; that thing was on par with other high end sound systems in terms of bass, quality, and clarity. My IS' sound system seems like every part (lows, mids, and highs) of the sound is competing with one another to come out of it, and quite frankly, it somewhat ruins the drive and overall experience. I had no idea how much of an effect a good sound system has on the drive of a car. Maybe that's just me!

My question to you guys is what did you do when you weren't happy with the base sound system? Did you purchase an aftermarket sound system or did you go for its own premium sound system, Mark Levinson? What do you guys suggest? Is there a quick and dirty way to clear up this messy sound? Or is it going to be complicated no matter what? I am not handy with installation etc, but I do have a friend who does this stuff for a hobby, so I might be able to get his help with it.

My car comes with navigation if that matters. Hopefully I gave you guys all the necessary information! Any help or feedback will be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-18-17, 05:27 AM
Diesel26
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I encourage you to use the search function on the forum. There are lots of threads where people talk about trying to upgrade the stereo in these cars.

Although I also think the stock stereo it pretty horrible, I've all but given up on upgrading. It can be done, but after reading some of the threads it seems very difficult.
The following users liked this post:
sabapa (01-18-17)
Old 01-18-17, 06:01 AM
sabapa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Diesel26
I encourage you to use the search function on the forum. There are lots of threads where people talk about trying to upgrade the stereo in these cars.

Although I also think the stock stereo it pretty horrible, I've all but given up on upgrading. It can be done, but after reading some of the threads it seems very difficult.

I did actually do some searching, but I wanted to start my own thread to hopefully take the conversation further.

Is it difficult as DIY project or just difficult even if someone good with doing this stuff do it as well? I read some threads about adding a sub, and letting the speakers handle the highs and mids. If that's the easier and better option, I am all for it, but I was wondering where the subs would go? In the trunk, taking up space? Or it has its own designated spot in the back?
Old 01-18-17, 08:12 PM
luuser75
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My Mark Levinson system is good enough for me! The bass hits more than any stock system I've experienced.
Old 01-19-17, 06:43 AM
metrik
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the stock system on mine and I just added a 12" JL. Overall I'm very happy with it considering I didn't spend much money (I had the amp and sub already). The stock system isn't great but it's far from horrible
Old 01-19-17, 08:16 AM
sabapa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by luuser75
My Mark Levinson system is good enough for me! The bass hits more than any stock system I've experienced.
Yeah, I keep hearing that, but I can't find a good price on them anywhere! Did your car come with it or you got them afterwards? I wonder if I can just disconnect the current ones and hook up the ML speakers without replacing the entire wiring system? Anyone know if ML requires its own unique AMP?
Old 01-19-17, 08:19 AM
sabapa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by metrik
I have the stock system on mine and I just added a 12" JL. Overall I'm very happy with it considering I didn't spend much money (I had the amp and sub already). The stock system isn't great but it's far from horrible
Where does this 12" JL go? In the back? Does the car have its own AMP? What kind of sub did you get it? Is it taking up space in the trunk?

I can't seem to find a good technical documentations on the entire sound system layout of this car, so I am clueless what is where. Any helpful links?

Thanks again for all your replies, I am certainly starting to get some ideas!
Old 01-19-17, 01:52 PM
metrik
Rookie

Originally Posted by sabapa
Where does this 12" JL go? In the back? Does the car have its own AMP? What kind of sub did you get it? Is it taking up space in the trunk?

I can't seem to find a good technical documentations on the entire sound system layout of this car, so I am clueless what is where. Any helpful links?

Thanks again for all your replies, I am certainly starting to get some ideas!
I have a JL 12w3v2 with an older Rockford Fosgate amp. The amp is mounted on the backside of the rear seats and the sub is in a 1x1x1 enclosure. I've always preferred sealed vs ported as it hits tighter.

Overall it doesn't take up much space. I just shove it to the back. In order to make it work the installer had to use a line out converter for the RCA input and usual power, ground, remote turn on etc. Should cost more than $25-30 for a converter
Old 01-19-17, 01:53 PM
metrik
Rookie

*shouldnt cost more
Old 01-19-17, 01:57 PM
luuser75
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sabapa
Yeah, I keep hearing that, but I can't find a good price on them anywhere! Did your car come with it or you got them afterwards? I wonder if I can just disconnect the current ones and hook up the ML speakers without replacing the entire wiring system? Anyone know if ML requires its own unique AMP?
My car came with it. I think you would need a different amp of some sort since the stock system is rated around 200 watts while the Mark Levinson system is rated at about 800 watts. I feel like newer cars nowadays make it hard to change the speakers so I would just get an aftermarket amp and sub if I were you.
Old 01-20-17, 05:50 PM
sabapa
Driver School Candidate

I have a JL 12w3v2 with an older Rockford Fosgate amp. The amp is mounted on the backside of the rear seats and the sub is in a 1x1x1 enclosure. I've always preferred sealed vs ported as it hits tighter.

Overall it doesn't take up much space. I just shove it to the back. In order to make it work the installer had to use a line out converter for the RCA input and usual power, ground, remote turn on etc. Should cost more than $25-30 for a converter
That's very helpful! I'm going to have it run through my friend tomorrow to see my options.
Old 01-20-17, 05:51 PM
sabapa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by luuser75
My car came with it. I think you would need a different amp of some sort since the stock system is rated around 200 watts while the Mark Levinson system is rated at about 800 watts. I feel like newer cars nowadays make it hard to change the speakers so I would just get an aftermarket amp and sub if I were you.
I agree, newer cars make it hard to install aftermarket speakers smh. I'm going to run it through my friend tomorrow for analysis.
Old 01-21-17, 09:29 AM
metrik
Rookie

FYI - Don't pay attention to "watts" as companies will use it different ways (max watt, total watts, etc). What you want is the RMS watt rating. This will tell you how many watts you're consistently putting out.
Old 01-21-17, 12:03 PM
sabapa
Driver School Candidate

FYI - Don't pay attention to "watts" as companies will use it different ways (max watt, total watts, etc). What you want is the RMS watt rating. This will tell you how many watts you're consistently putting out.
Oh wow, I didn't know that. The more you know! I will bring that up for sure. Thanks!
Old 01-21-17, 01:28 PM
metrik
Rookie

Here's a REALLY good thread about sound system info for our car. Page 2 is most relevant

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-system-2.html

Quick Reply: Sound System Upgrade Options?