GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I hate that my car drives like Prius after I put Penzoil Platinum oil at 15K services

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-17, 10:32 PM
Jrdonta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate that my car drives like Prius after I put Penzoil Platinum oil at 15K services

I hate that my car drives like Prius instead of GS sport sedan after I change my oil with Penzoil Platinum at 15K servcies even though the oil level is perfect.

1. Do I need to reset ECU after oil change ?
2. Does Toyota oil provide better performance f since the engine was filled with oil made by Idemitsu from factory in Japan then oil made by Mobil at 10K services at Lexus dealer ?
3. Penzoil Platinum additives are not good for Toyota engine ?

Please let me know if any of you have bad experience with Penzoil Platinum. I switched from Mobil to Penzoil after it solves the knocking valves in my wife MDX 2010.
Old 01-18-17, 12:20 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrdonta
I hate that my car drives like Prius instead of GS sport sedan after I change my oil with Penzoil Platinum at 15K servcies even though the oil level is perfect.

2. Does Toyota oil provide better performance f since the engine was filled with oil made by Idemitsu from factory in Japan then oil made by Mobil at 10K services at Lexus dealer ?

Please let me know if any of you have bad experience with Penzoil Platinum. I switched from Mobil to Penzoil after it solves the knocking valves in my wife MDX 2010.
You didn't mention the viscosity of the oil lexus recommended is 0w20. Might have to do something with that.
Old 01-18-17, 06:54 AM
Jrdonta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
You didn't mention the viscosity of the oil lexus recommended is 0w20. Might have to do something with that.
It is 0w-20. I have read someone mentioned in another forum of Acura MDX that directly engine oil should not affect how transmission shifts but engine oil may cause power loss and the lost power may affect how the transmission shifts. He did not get slip with Penzoil, get slip with Mobil 1, and no slip with Penzoil after switching back. I am so tempted to switch back to Toyota oil to verify engine oil can turn my car from sport sedan to Prius in term of how transmission shifting.
Old 01-18-17, 07:02 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

its all in your head.
The following users liked this post:
OUGrad05 (01-31-17)
Old 01-18-17, 07:12 AM
Jrdonta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
its all in your head.
LOL my friend who is a mechanic that change oil for me said the same thing. I have observed that the RPM was between 2 - 3 when I neeed to pass another car on local street, now the RPM is between 3 - 4 to pass another car on local street. Basically I feel the power and torque is no longer between 2 - 3 RPM.
Old 01-18-17, 07:41 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

More likely to be a gas issue... oil of the same viscosity cannot possibly make that much difference.
OUGrad05 (01-31-17)
Old 01-18-17, 07:47 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

It is 0w-20. I have read someone mentioned in another forum of Acura MDX that directly engine oil should not affect how transmission shifts but engine oil may cause power loss and the lost power may affect how the transmission shifts. He did not get slip with Penzoil, get slip with Mobil 1, and no slip with Penzoil after switching back. I am so tempted to switch back to Toyota oil to verify engine oil can turn my car from sport sedan to Prius in term of how transmission shifting.
LOL my friend who is a mechanic that change oil for me said the same thing. I have observed that the RPM was between 2 - 3 when I neeed to pass another car on local street, now the RPM is between 3 - 4 to pass another car on local street. Basically I feel the power and torque is no longer between 2 - 3 RPM.
This kind of thinking comes from someone that is oblivious to the topic, or at the very least uninformed and ignorant. Not to say that your car doesn't have a problem, but it is most definitely not because of the engine oil that you have most recently used.

It's a figment...

Last edited by bclexus; 01-18-17 at 08:45 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bclexus:
endo022 (02-01-17), LatinLS430 (01-18-17), OUGrad05 (01-31-17)
Old 01-18-17, 08:49 AM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
This kind of thinking comes from someone that is oblivious to the topic, or at the very least uninformed or ignorant. Not to say that your car doesn't have a problem, but it is most definitely not because of the engine oil you have most recently used.

It's a figment...

You're a funny guy bclexus!...
DP03 (01-18-17)
Old 01-18-17, 09:43 AM
Jrdonta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by er34
More likely to be a gas issue... oil of the same viscosity cannot possibly make that much difference.
I have used Shell 91 from 2 different locations since I drove off from dealer lot. The only difference now is Toyota and Penzoil Platinum oil. I hope someone can share his/her same experience or I have to drive 5K miles before switching back to Toyota oil for verification.
Old 01-18-17, 09:47 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Trade it in, for a Prius...apparently you think you're driving one anyways...
Old 01-18-17, 10:00 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

I have used Shell 91 from 2 different locations since I drove off from dealer lot. The only difference now is Toyota and Penzoil Platinum oil. I hope someone can share his/her same experience or I have to drive 5K miles before switching back to Toyota oil for verification.
Well you don't HAVE to wait 5k miles.. if it's bothering you that much, it's well worth $50 to get it switched back to Toyota oil, though we're all saying it almost certainly has nothing to do with it.

I wouldn't waste my life driving a Prius for 5k miles even if someone paid me $500 to do it.
Old 01-18-17, 10:08 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by viperr
You're a funny guy bclexus!...
Only stating my belief about this obtuse declaration...

Last edited by bclexus; 01-18-17 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-18-17, 10:08 AM
Jrdonta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by er34
Well you don't HAVE to wait 5k miles.. if it's bothering you that much, it's well worth $50 to get it switched back to Toyota oil, though we're all saying it almost certainly has nothing to do with it.

I wouldn't waste my life driving a Prius for 5k miles even if someone paid me $500 to do it.
I really like your statement. I will consider it.
Old 01-18-17, 02:49 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

It's not the oil. It could be something else they inadvertently did when they changed the oil, but oil alone could not be the problem if it was changed with any decent oil of the same weight. Simply not possible. Make sure everything was reconnected properly, screwed on tight, no wiring connectors knocked loose, diagnostic plug not damaged or not properly connected etc.
JellyBean (08-17-17)
Old 01-18-17, 04:30 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its the 87 octane, LOL! 'Bought a performance car, use performance supplies/products!

Quick Reply: I hate that my car drives like Prius after I put Penzoil Platinum oil at 15K services