RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Nav Question - Want Aftermarket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-17, 06:30 PM
bondra76
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Question - Want Aftermarket Replacement

I apologize if this has already been asked before – I’ve tried a couple of times looking for answers to this question but haven’t run across anything yet.

Has anyone been able to replace their Nav system in an RX 350 with success?

I have been shopping for after market video receivers, mostly to replace the factory Nav system with something that can connect to my phone/Appleplay (Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze, anything….)

I’ve visited Crutchfield and went in to talk to the guys at Car Toys but every single one of them wants to put the video receiver in the bottom double-din slot (where my radio currently sits). I’m hoping to put something at the top of my paneling where the navigation unit currently sits.

Has anyone successfully pulled this off? Would be very interested in your build. I’ll attach a photo to clarify what I am seeking to do.

Old 01-18-17, 03:19 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I do not think you have any other alternatives....
you have the climate control in the factory Navigation system, you cannot pass up on climate control, therefore logically you would also need to find a standard factory climate control for the space where your Nav is since you
do not want to keep the Nav. system where it presently is.
I was thinking of upgrading to what Car Toys suggested as a DIY project as it wouldn't be that difficult to accomplish, although what is stopping me is everything functions perfectly & the vehicle may have more value if left as is.
Once the Nav/ Climate Control or the Stereo fails, it will definitely be worthwhile upgrading.
Carver has a excellent write up....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...a-dnx6960.html

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 01-18-17 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Add Info
Old 01-18-17, 10:37 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

As of now, exactly what you want is impossible. This is because the Nav screen is just a screen. The brain is located in the trunk. You would need a system that integrates both the OEM functionality and the unit's own features which isn't a priority for electronic manufactures for such an old car.

What can get you close is a V-Line unit from GROM. It isn't perfect from what I'm hearing but does exactly what you want. It uses an Android OS to take over stock functionality and include features like maps, google mirror, youtube, wifi, etc. The module links between the OEM nav screen and the radio for functionality. Check it out, pretty neat stuff.
Old 01-18-17, 11:03 AM
bondra76
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
What can get you close is a V-Line unit from GROM. It isn't perfect from what I'm hearing but does exactly what you want. It uses an Android OS to take over stock functionality and include features like maps, google mirror, youtube, wifi, etc. The module links between the OEM nav screen and the radio for functionality. Check it out, pretty neat stuff.
Wow that V-Line is incredible. I may have to switch from my beloved IPhone to Android just for this.

Thanks for the response. May just have to pony up the money for this thing. I've done crazy amounts of research on this and haven't found anything yet even remotely close, except the V-Line.

People keep talking about the Nav unit being tied to the Climate Control, but replacing the climate control seems like it basically takes out that whole upper panel as well.
Old 01-18-17, 11:08 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by bondra76
Wow that V-Line is incredible. I may have to switch from my beloved IPhone to Android just for this.

Thanks for the response. May just have to pony up the money for this thing. I've done crazy amounts of research on this and haven't found anything yet even remotely close, except the V-Line.

People keep talking about the Nav unit being tied to the Climate Control, but replacing the climate control seems like it basically takes out that whole upper panel as well.
The V-Line is pretty neat, not sure if it has carplay but that would be sweet. Carplay is nice but it has limitations, I have an aftermarket unit on my Camry with Carplay.

Yes, to replace the climate controls it does require the display to come out too, simply because the climate buttons surround the display. Last time I saw one at a junk yard the display is relatively thin compared to a double din unit so idk how you could replace it with anything except another monitor.
Old 01-18-17, 01:52 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

The V-Line is pretty neat, not sure if it has carplay but that would be sweet. Carplay is nice but it has limitations, I have an aftermarket unit on my Camry with Carplay.

Yes, to replace the climate controls it does require the display to come out too, simply because the climate buttons surround the display. Last time I saw one at a junk yard the display is relatively thin compared to a double din unit so idk how you could replace it with anything except another monitor.
Agreed, it is an excellent concept, I was interested in the product therefore I filled out the form several weeks ago Grom Audio requests consumers to fill out
Most likely since I am located in Canada, Grom Audio never responded, in my opinion that was extremely unprofessional in their part especially if they want their product accepted on the worldwide stage in the future.
A courteous response with an explanation would have sufficed than to get completely ignored. It's either poor customer service/support or they are not entirely prepared for the demand.
Hopefully one of their Reps will read this.

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 01-18-17 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-18-17, 01:56 PM
bondra76
Driver School Candidate

I've pretty much accepted the fact that this V-line is the solution to all my problems.

Not sure how far out they are on getting Apple into the mix though. I really don't want to move to an android phone. I think I'm resigned to installing my new Pioneer 4200 NEX and saving everything, then waiting/hoping for V-Line to adopt Iphone as a platform. Sounds like they're at least testing it or trying to bring Apple into the mix. I definitely like the fact that Waze could be played on it.

Sooo...right now I guess I am swapping out the radio as a (hopefully) temporary fix until V-Line advances.
Old 01-18-17, 02:03 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
Agreed, it is an excellent concept, I was interested in the product therefore I filled out the form several weeks ago Grom Audio requests consumers to fill out
Most likely since I am located in Canada, Grom Audio never responded, in my opinion that was extremely unprofessional in their part especially if they want their product accepted on the worldwide stage in the future.
A courteous response with an explanation would have sufficed than to get completely ignored. It's either poor customer service/support or they are not entirely prepared for the demand.
Hopefully one of their Reps will read this.
That's strange. I tried myself to be a beta tester but since I'm from the Midwest, they flat out denied me since I needed to be near San Fran for data logging. I think it's fully on the market though and can just be bought (don't quote me though) but I haven't spoke with them in months.

Originally Posted by bondra76
I've pretty much accepted the fact that this V-line is the solution to all my problems.

Not sure how far out they are on getting Apple into the mix though. I really don't want to move to an android phone. I think I'm resigned to installing my new Pioneer 4200 NEX and saving everything, then waiting/hoping for V-Line to adopt Iphone as a platform. Sounds like they're at least testing it or trying to bring Apple into the mix. I definitely like the fact that Waze could be played on it.

Sooo...right now I guess I am swapping out the radio as a (hopefully) temporary fix until V-Line advances.
Small world, I have a AVH-4000NEX on my camry for carplay. Fun to have.
Old 01-18-17, 02:29 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

That's strange. I tried myself to be a beta tester but since I'm from the Midwest, they flat out denied me since I needed to be near San Fran for data logging. I think it's fully on the market though and can just be bought (don't quote me though) but I haven't spoke with them in months.

Small world, I have a AVH-4000NEX on my camry for carplay. Fun to have.
Their invitation for Beta testers is currently still up, at $199. net I would have been interested after testing.
I recall a 3D Printer supplier having a similar promotion with success with no boundaries to receive the product worldwide in order test the product & to assist their financial plan.
At $699., I don't think so, Beat-Sonic would appear as a bargain, proven product with much better customer service/ support.

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 01-18-17 at 02:45 PM. Reason: spelling again
Old 01-19-17, 03:24 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I tried applying for the GROM beta testing and they rejected me. They only want people in their area. Wish they would have posted that on their site so people wouldn't waste their time.

The GROM is cool. If you get it, please do a review for us.
Old 01-19-17, 03:29 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by aachowhan
I tried applying for the GROM beta testing and they rejected me. They only want people in their area. Wish they would have posted that on their site so people wouldn't waste their time.

The GROM is cool. If you get it, please do a review for us.
Same here, it's too bad, they really need to spread their testing range. Things usually work great in the silicone valley LOL.
Old 01-19-17, 03:49 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Same here, it's too bad, they really need to spread their testing range. Things usually work great in the silicone valley LOL.

No kidding. I tried to get them to agree. I told them they needed to test in different climates and also put it to daily use and have all of it's features tested out. I was even willing to do online meetings to help debug/improve the product but they didn't bite.
Old 01-19-17, 05:15 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

No kidding. I tried to get them to agree. I told them they needed to test in different climates and also put it to daily use and have all of it's features tested out. I was even willing to do online meetings to help debug/improve the product but they didn't bite.
If Grom is seriously aiming to market their product on the International stage, serving only the San Francisco area certainly won't cut it.
All of the USA & Canada for starters would be more impressive & more likely accepted as a final viable product after the test stage, even if it means asking (as an example) $299. instead of $199. to participate in the Beta version.
Positive Reviews from a wider range of consumers & areas are worth their weight in gold.
Old 01-19-17, 06:05 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Funny, I did the exact same. I'm pretty handy and techy myself and told them I could easily data log and dump it onto their servers. But still, a solid no after a few conversations. I stopped talking to them after that as $500 for such an old vehicle isn't worth it IMO.

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
If Grom is seriously aiming to market their product on the International stage, serving only the San Francisco area certainly won't cut it.
All of the USA & Canada for starters would be more impressive & more likely accepted as a final viable product after the test stage, even if it means asking (as an example) $299. instead of $199. to participate in the Beta version.
Positive Reviews from a wider range of consumers & areas are worth their weight in gold.
I agree with you but at the same time, keeping beta testers local allows for fewer errors in data logging and can cut costs associated with long distance communication. As much as I hate it, GROM has a point.
Old 01-20-17, 02:23 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Funny, I did the exact same. I'm pretty handy and techy myself and told them I could easily data log and dump it onto their servers. But still, a solid no after a few conversations. I stopped talking to them after that as $500 for such an old vehicle isn't worth it IMO.

I agree with you but at the same time, keeping beta testers local allows for fewer errors in data logging and can cut costs associated with long distance communication. As much as I hate it, GROM has a point.
As you mentioned you communicated with them months ago, months later, no real progress, not a good sign, usually a protect with such potential & obvious demand would be installed in millions of vehicles by now.

Quick Reply: Nav Question - Want Aftermarket Replacement