Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trumpmobile will be an upgraded version of Obama's Limo

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-17, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Trumpmobile will be an upgraded version of Obama's Limo

President-Elect Trump, after he officially becomes President on Friday, will ride in an official White House Limo that is essentially an upgraded version of the one President Obama used the last several years. Trump, of course, has his own collection of privately-owned vehicles, but this will be the one officially assigned to him as President. Using Cadillac Escalade front-end styling, the 7-seater is done on an elongated Kodiak, truck-based, body-on-frame platform, but, of course, has special reinforced armor almost everywhere, and a number of special safety and security features. This video gives at least some of the details (the ones, of course, that presumably are not classified, or that have been released by the Secret Service)

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-17-17 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-18-17, 10:55 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like its the same limo with a different front clip that looks a bit closer to the current Escalade. I remember "the beast" being a big deal when Obama became pres, as it was all new and not even a car, medium duty truck chassis with diesel engine, custom body and armor. It has "sedan" proportions, until you see somebody standing next to it and realize how freaking huge it is.

That door looks like something from a bank vault more than a car door. And the secret service guys are freaking huge, I'm sure that guy holding the door open is 6 feet tall or better. Notice how the limo is about the same height. Also look at the wheel/tire package in that photo. Looks like something you would see on a semi-truck in terms of size.

Perhaps the best part of the Presidential motorcade is that big black suv following the limo. Most people figure its full of secret service guys and don't know the real surprise its hiding.

Last edited by Aron9000; 01-18-17 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-18-17, 12:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Same vehicle, just upgraded. I read somewhere that it will have blood and a transfusion system just in case...
Old 01-18-17, 12:29 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Wonder what's the horsepower and curb weight of the beast.
Old 01-18-17, 12:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Same vehicle, just upgraded. I read somewhere that it will have blood and a transfusion system just in case...
Yes, they mention that in the video....a container on board with the President's blood type. There is also equipment on board to treat exposure to chemical-weapons, if that should be needed.
Old 01-18-17, 12:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
Wonder what's the horsepower and curb weight of the beast.
From what I understand, it has a diesel power plant, but the HP/torque figures and weight aren't public. I guess they don't want (potential) enemies trying to figure out, from the data, how fast it might be able to accelerate and/or be able to elude them.
Old 01-18-17, 12:40 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From what I understand, it has a diesel power plant, but the HP/torque figures and weight aren't public. I guess they don't want (potential) enemies trying to figure out, from the data, how fast it might be able to accelerate and/or be able to elude them.
I'm guessing no more than 10K lbs and close to 1K HP but I may be wrong lol.
Old 01-18-17, 01:25 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Its based on a medium duty GM "Kodiak" truck chassis, which is what they build some fire trucks and bucket trucks(telephone company truck) on. I'd guess its a Duramax diesel/allison automatic combo found in those trucks under the hood, probably stock for a reliability standpoint. So maybe 350-400hp, 800-900lb-ft of torque, which is about that that engine makes in newer GM dually trucks. And I bet that thing weighs north of 20,000lbs, so the answer is its not that fast. Maybe 100mph top speed???? Driving something that big and heavy in a high speed pursuit, you wouldn't want to go that fast anyways because you'd end up flipping it/crashing it into something trying to make a turn. That's what those mini-gun Suburbans are there for, to stop the threat and let the limo get away. Those guns aim upward too in case there is a helicopter or somebody playing Oswald, shooting out of a window in a tall building.
Old 01-18-17, 01:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'd guess its a Duramax diesel/allison automatic combo found in those trucks under the hood, probably stock for a reliability standpoint. .
I wonder if the White House maybe snuck in a Toyota 5.7 iForce for reliability concerns.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Driving something that big and heavy in a high speed pursuit, you wouldn't want to go that fast anyways because you'd end up flipping it/crashing it into something trying to make a turn. T.
Yes, totally makes sense. The main limo needs to just get away. You don't want that vehicle in a high speed pursuit. I read elsewhere that the main limo is only ever used for 30 minute rides or less. Otherwise they would use the helicopter.
Old 01-18-17, 05:07 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I wonder if the White House maybe snuck in a Toyota 5.7 iForce for reliability concerns.

Yes, totally makes sense. The main limo needs to just get away. You don't want that vehicle in a high speed pursuit. I read elsewhere that the main limo is only ever used for 30 minute rides or less. Otherwise they would use the helicopter.
Nah, Duramax diesels are pretty reliable and bullet-proof. That 5.7 Toyota V8 isn't nearly enough engine to move something that heavy. Plus you know this car is maintained to a T, failure is not an option when it goes out. I'm sure being a mechanic on the beast is like the Air Force guys who work on Air Force One. Only the best Air Force mechanics with years of experience get to work on that plane. For the first year you are on the job as an aircraft mechanic for Air Force one all you do is wash and polish the plane. I kid you not.
Old 01-18-17, 06:02 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Imported from Mexico just under the wire before the border tax is imposed.
Old 01-18-17, 07:20 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I am betting that there are quite a number of changes under the skin of this new state car that are not immediately visible. It has, after all, been in development for the past 2+ years (since mid-2014 at least).

Source

If this new Beast runs on diesel, that would be a change from Mr. Obama's Beast, which ran on gasoline (and broke down in Israel when they allegedly filled it with diesel by mistake).

Sources: Details and Breaking down in Israel
Old 01-18-17, 10:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Whoever does the detailing on that car deserves a slap on the wrist. Tailpipe tips are filthy!
Old 01-19-17, 12:24 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
I am betting that there are quite a number of changes under the skin of this new state car that are not immediately visible. It has, after all, been in development for the past 2+ years (since mid-2014 at least).

Source

If this new Beast runs on diesel, that would be a change from Mr. Obama's Beast, which ran on gasoline (and broke down in Israel when they allegedly filled it with diesel by mistake).

Sources: Details and Breaking down in Israel
I figured it had the duramax diesel under the hood, as that is a common option on GM medium duty trucks. I forgot that GM offered the 8.1 liter "big block" gas V8 in their medium duty trucks(both engines were optional in the 3/4 and 1 ton GM pickup trucks as well)