LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1993 LS400 hesitation at very high speed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-17, 04:21 PM
KikeNY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1993 LS400 hesitation at very high speed!

Hey guys, new to post, but been browsing the forums for years now. Love this place!
Anyways, I have finally reached a gripe with my LS in that it drives near perfectly under my normal daily commute to work/school and back, but every once in a while I love to push it, and this is where my problems begin.. On the highway, usually only around midnight on empty road, I floor it to get to high speed, but I get this very hard shift, check engine light, and inability to go faster than maybe 100-110 mph.. Anyone have a similar problem? I've tried checking to see if it would save the code but the check engine just flashes and goes away.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-17, 05:38 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Is this a serious question?
Old 01-17-17, 06:16 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

So, the question is what is the stored trouble code. Use the paperclip method

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html

and let us hear the answer...that is if you live long enough.
Old 01-17-17, 06:18 PM
KikeNY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Banshee365
Is this a serious question?
Very serious.
Old 01-17-17, 06:20 PM
KikeNY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YODAONE
So, the question is what is the stored trouble code. Use the paperclip method

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html

and let us hear the answer...that is if you live long enough.
Sorry, I was in a rush when typing up the post and scrambled it together. I already tried doing that and no codes are stored.
I'm not doing this intentionally, I'm just curious how everyone else can easily hit a high speed while I struggle to hit 115. Didn't mean to
offend anyone. I'm like a jew in a mosque here, christ.
Old 01-17-17, 08:38 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

What happens driving between 0-80?
Old 01-18-17, 06:37 AM
wolfy53
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad you are in texas and not here in KS, please don't kill anyone going that fast. if you are doing that on public roads shame on you. You do not want to be the person that kills someone do you? Just think about that for a bit. What if you got in a wreck and killed some kids that were traveling with their parents. Then you had to see the pain in there faces when you were on trial. Could you live with that?

You said you are in school. Here is a lesson for ya. Grow up a bit and think about what you are doing. I understand the "open" road in the middle of no and where. My friend in HS knew that too... Unfortunately he lost his life along with 3 of my other classmates in a wreck going way to fast in an open flat road in KS.

PS ease up on the blasphemy. Not a good trait

Last edited by wolfy53; 01-18-17 at 06:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wolfy53:
mmvitch (01-18-17), saleenssc (01-18-17)
Old 01-18-17, 07:01 AM
KikeNY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wolfy53
Glad you are in texas and not here in KS, please don't kill anyone going that fast. if you are doing that on public roads shame on you. You do not want to be the person that kills someone do you? Just think about that for a bit. What if you got in a wreck and killed some kids that were traveling with their parents. Then you had to see the pain in there faces when you were on trial. Could you live with that?

You said you are in school. Here is a lesson for ya. Grow up a bit and think about what you are doing. I understand the "open" road in the middle of no and where. My friend in HS knew that too... Unfortunately he lost his life along with 3 of my other classmates in a wreck going way to fast in an open flat road in KS.

PS ease up on the blasphemy. Not a good trait
Okay, you're right haha. My bad. Sorry for being such an inconvenience.
Old 01-18-17, 08:19 AM
wolfy53
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KikeNY
Okay, you're right haha. My bad. Sorry for being such an inconvenience.
I hope you don't truly find that funny... haha... I'm glad that you recognize that your are wrong here for driving like such a fool. the inconvenience here is nothing compared to the inconvenience of hurting or killing some people.

This is a great site, some awesome helpful people. i'm sure you know that already, hope you have some good to add to this as well, which I am sure you do.
Old 01-18-17, 08:49 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i know of this one MANIAC who occasionally records himself (and only himself) going very fast in his LS, and he never seems to have any trouble reaching high speeds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCmEHRp8Hko

i'm kind of surprised KikeNY was even allowed to be a username lol, i'm a jew and i don't mind but i can imagine some people (possibly certain residents of kansas) having an issue with that haha... apart from ANY discussion like this always turning into an ethics and morals class, there's definitely a problem with the car. was it like this since you've had it or did this just suddenly start? a 1st gen LS should have no problem reaching at least 150, whether you should or shouldn't that's what the car should do. definitely find out what the code is though.

oh and let me just give my 2 cents about driving fast on a highway late at night... it's not a great time to do it (i would know). it's more difficult to see things in front of you, whether they be debris in the road or the damn popo hiding at the side of the road with their lights off, it's just a generally more risky time to do so. also do yourself a favor and invest in a Valentine One, but fix the car first!! lol
Old 01-18-17, 09:04 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

A few years ago a kid (16-17) from my hometown here in FL was posting in a BMW forum about how to get some more speed out of his V10 powered BMW M5. Not long after that he and 4 of his friends were dead with pieces of them scattered all over the place off the end of a runway. I saw the scene the night that it happened and it's something I will never forget.

​​​​​​​http://jalopnik.com/349540/flying-bm...ts-darwin-wins
Old 01-18-17, 09:13 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

So you're saying a high RPM 3-4 shift is when the hard shift occurs? My 97 usually has no problems going to 120, that's when I give up though because speed doesn't climb as fast since I've got the non vvti V8 and I've got stock tired old suspension so it's pretty scary. But its much safer I think to do this in the day, vs. at night on a dark dimly lit road where any animals could jump out.

Try checking your ECU for any leaking capacitors, I know those can wreak havoc on other important electronic components in the box.

These cars were designed to compete with BMW and Mercedes on the Autobahn so it really shouldn't have a problem going 150 for a sustained period.

It could also be your physical engine timing that could be off a tooth. I know my engine ran like crap right after a mechanic did the timing belt and set timing incorrectly.
Old 01-19-17, 05:39 AM
Yamae

Received 851 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
So you're saying a high RPM 3-4 shift is when the hard shift occurs? My 97 usually has no problems going to 120, that's when I give up though because speed doesn't climb as fast since I've got the non vvti V8 and I've got stock tired old suspension so it's pretty scary. But its much safer I think to do this in the day, vs. at night on a dark dimly lit road where any animals could jump out.

Try checking your ECU for any leaking capacitors, I know those can wreak havoc on other important electronic components in the box.

These cars were designed to compete with BMW and Mercedes on the Autobahn so it really shouldn't have a problem going 150 for a sustained period.

It could also be your physical engine timing that could be off a tooth. I know my engine ran like crap right after a mechanic did the timing belt and set timing incorrectly.
+1 for this.
A hard shift, check engine light and no code are often caused by the too much ripple at the Vcc line for sensors and the processor in the ECU. You'd better check those infamous QAS capacitors.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html