LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Sad day :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-17, 07:41 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Sad day :(

on the way home and "bam" sound like the the water bottle cracking sound, it is not loud and my wife look up the windshield here what is the damage ony my three months old baby (
Attached Thumbnails Sad day :(-img_8536.jpg   Sad day :(-img_8538.jpg  
Old 01-16-17, 12:49 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Sorry about your loss.

My poor VP was on the way back with his brand new 2017 F250 and a rock did the same to his windshield with 8 miles on the odometer.

Worst is no one has a new windshield.

Make sure you insist on a Lexus windshield.
Old 01-16-17, 03:19 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Actually, that can be repair for free with your insurance company. Take it to Safelte and they can repair it. From this point, don't apply sudden temperature change (such as turning the AC/heater on when it is super cold outside) or you will see the crach literally expand across your windshield. Get it fix ASAP and it could save you a ton of cash.
Old 01-16-17, 07:19 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
Actually, that can be repair for free with your insurance company. Take it to Safelte and they can repair it. From this point, don't apply sudden temperature change (such as turning the AC/heater on when it is super cold outside) or you will see the crach literally expand across your windshield. Get it fix ASAP and it could save you a ton of cash.
Before you jump into a deal with Safelite, take a few days and do your research. Read the online reviews, both those posted by Safelite, and those reviews posted on other sites. But first, check to see who your local dealer uses for their new and used vehicle glass work. Remember that the technician(?) you get may have a totally different work attitude and skill set than the person they send to the dealer's shop, though. A dealer is a steady source of business, and you are a one-and-done stranger. Maybe the dealer will tell you both the company and the specific technician they routinely use. Ask for that person by name. However, when I had a similarly damaged windshield, my dealer arranged the repair in their shop. I dropped my car off and picked up a loaner for the day. Remember, the dealer wants your repeat business, and would like your car in the best condition when you trade it in with them. This is particularly important if your windshield needs replacement. Safelite makes money for themselves by using after-market glass. Your dealer can make sure your vehicle gets the right glass.
Old 01-16-17, 08:19 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Thanks guys for all great tips, I already set up an appointment with safelite this week and my LX is in the garage now, I won't drive it until my appointment is up, i really don't want to replace the windshield due to it is brand new and don't want it to tear it apart and they might not shield is properly, but I don't want to see the hair line on the windshield even after they get the repair (, has anyone had windshield replaced by the dealer? And I don't think the insurance will pay to get it replacement versus repair it?
Old 01-16-17, 08:56 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie1
Before you jump into a deal with Safelite, take a few days and do your research. Read the online reviews, both those posted by Safelite, and those reviews posted on other sites. But first, check to see who your local dealer uses for their new and used vehicle glass work. Remember that the technician(?) you get may have a totally different work attitude and skill set than the person they send to the dealer's shop, though. A dealer is a steady source of business, and you are a one-and-done stranger. Maybe the dealer will tell you both the company and the specific technician they routinely use. Ask for that person by name. However, when I had a similarly damaged windshield, my dealer arranged the repair in their shop. I dropped my car off and picked up a loaner for the day. Remember, the dealer wants your repeat business, and would like your car in the best condition when you trade it in with them. This is particularly important if your windshield needs replacement. Safelite makes money for themselves by using after-market glass. Your dealer can make sure your vehicle gets the right glass.
Satellite "quality" is location-specific. You can either have the dealer replace the glass, or you can ask the dealer for their glass-guy's contact info. I'd be shocked if a Lexus or Toyota dealer used Satellite. I'd double-check extent of glass coverage if you're going for a Lexus windshield. Pilkington is an acceptable substitute. Chinese windshields are not particularly high quality.

Originally Posted by ohiois350
Thanks guys for all great tips, I already set up an appointment with safelite this week and my LX is in the garage now, I won't drive it until my appointment is up, i really don't want to replace the windshield due to it is brand new and don't want it to tear it apart and they might not shield is properly, but I don't want to see the hair line on the windshield even after they get the repair (, has anyone had windshield replaced by the dealer? And I don't think the insurance will pay to get it replacement versus repair it?
You may want to check the factory shop manual instructions on how to remove, prepare the truck, and install the new glass. Link to fsm (older, but same body style) is here... http://www.moranbahweather.com/toyota/index2.html When the page opens, click on 'vehicle exterior' and then 'windshield'. Be aware that the wiper deicer connections on both sides need re-connection and need to be handled gently. Auto-sensing wiper module is to the right of the mirror and takes a bit of practice to install correctly. Unless the sensor membrane is in PERFECT contact with a very clean windshield, wiper may be intermittent or not work on the auto setting.

Why would I take my truck to a dealer? I'm looking at Lexus/Toyota or Pilkington glass. So is the dealer. What I get depends on my insurance and/or wallet. The dealer and I use the same guy. Part of it also is that the glass guy lives a mile or 2 away, closest Toyota or Lexus store is around 20.

Last edited by hankinid; 01-16-17 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-17-17, 12:44 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I've had glass repairs or replacements in 3 Lexus vehicles. My experience with Safelite was not good -- the workmanship was pretty shoddy.

If possible, I'd ask around and find the best glass shop in your area. If OEM glass is too costly, the glass shop might give you some other options. I recommend Pilkington glass (which is OEM glass for several manufacturers).
Old 01-17-17, 05:48 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, go to the Lexus dealer.

The windshield on the LX570 is very complex.

Incidentally, a friend of mine discovered his brand new 2017 Toyota Tacoma's windshield was leaking whenever it rained. He took it to his local Toyota dealer. Comes to find out the windshield in question was not an OEM Toyota windshield!!! And Toyota HQ had no idea why happened!!! Except to say it got changed to an non OEM windshield sometime between factory and the dealer!!!

He later got it all sorted outt with a new OEM windshield. I would have insisted on another new Tacoma truck!!!

Originally Posted by hankinid
Satellite "quality" is location-specific. You can either have the dealer replace the glass, or you can ask the dealer for their glass-guy's contact info. I'd be shocked if a Lexus or Toyota dealer used Satellite. I'd double-check extent of glass coverage if you're going for a Lexus windshield. Pilkington is an acceptable substitute. Chinese windshields are not particularly high quality.

You may want to check the factory shop manual instructions on how to remove, prepare the truck, and install the new glass. Link to fsm (older, but same body style) is here... http://www.moranbahweather.com/toyota/index2.html When the page opens, click on 'vehicle exterior' and then 'windshield'. Be aware that the wiper deicer connections on both sides need re-connection and need to be handled gently. Auto-sensing wiper module is to the right of the mirror and takes a bit of practice to install correctly. Unless the sensor membrane is in PERFECT contact with a very clean windshield, wiper may be intermittent or not work on the auto setting.

Why would I take my truck to a dealer? I'm looking at Lexus/Toyota or Pilkington glass. So is the dealer. What I get depends on my insurance and/or wallet. The dealer and I use the same guy. Part of it also is that the glass guy lives a mile or 2 away, closest Toyota or Lexus store is around 20.
Old 01-17-17, 09:07 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Thanks, yeah i just talk with state farm insurance, they told me they would up to the costof the aftermarket windshield with their policy's, if i go with the oem one i would pay the difference, but my concern is would they mess up my dash or the trim on the put side of the truck?
Old 01-17-17, 10:17 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I would try a repair first. This is to preserve the overall integrity of windshield and not mess the senors up.

You can still replace the windshield later if it continued to crack.

The price difference between the OEM and aftermarket is substantial.

Either way, I would insists a Lexus dealership do it unless they say no and refer you somewhere else. If that were the case I will go elsewhere PERMANENTLY and never look back.

Thanks, yeah i just talk with state farm insurance, they told me they would up to the costof the aftermarket windshield with their policy's, if i go with the oem one i would pay the difference, but my concern is would they mess up my dash or the trim on the put side of the truck?
The following users liked this post:
ohiois350 (01-17-17)
Old 01-17-17, 10:32 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I would try a repair first. This is to preserve the overall integrity of windshield and not mess the senors up.

You can still replace the windshield later if it continued to crack.

The price difference between the OEM and aftermarket is substantial.

Either way, I would insists a Lexus dealership do it unless they say no and refer you somewhere else. If that were the case I will go elsewhere PERMANENTLY and never look back.
thanks for a great advices, finally the state farm agree to get replace by the lexus dealer with oem on for the total cost $1750 which i only pay my deductible is $500 it is high, but the cost for a repair is $137 versus new windshield for $500, the money wise i am not concern about, all I afraid is the technician could mess up my truck
Old 01-17-17, 03:32 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs up

thanks for a great advices, finally the state farm agree to get replace by the lexus dealer with oem on for the total cost $1750 which i only pay my deductible is $500 it is high, but the cost for a repair is $137 versus new windshield for $500, the money wise i am not concern about, all I afraid is the technician could mess up my truck
You did very, very well. IF the technician is the one the dealer normally uses for glass repair, he's done a Lexus or Land Cruiser before. This is not a vehicle where you call Safelite and they replace the glass while your kid is in a school recital, a'la the TV commercial.

I'll send $100 to your favorite charity if the Lexus dealer uses Safelite . I'll also wish you good luck with leaks and wind noise.

Report back when done. Great thread but sorry it had to happen.
Old 01-17-17, 07:44 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hankinid
You did very, very well. IF the technician is the one the dealer normally uses for glass repair, he's done a Lexus or Land Cruiser before. This is not a vehicle where you call Safelite and they replace the glass while your kid is in a school recital, a'la the TV commercial.

I'll send $100 to your favorite charity if the Lexus dealer uses Safelite . I'll also wish you good luck with leaks and wind noise.

Report back when done. Great thread but sorry it had to happen.
thanks, i will let safelite to repair it first to see the out come? I had them done on my previous toyota cars before, and the out come was very impressed and very minimal lines still show if you look very close, and will drive the lx for a while if in the future i hit the rock again and then go head replace it, but for now state farm will send me a check for the cost of the OEM replacement windshield through the Lexus dealer and save it
Old 01-17-17, 08:18 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Back in around 2001 we had a stone chip on our then brand new 2000 LX470 we bought in 2000. Took less than a week before we had our first hit which were repaired satisfactorily by an out of town safelite in Orlando Mickey Mouse town while we were on vacation. The over the next 9 months or so with highway driving we sustained more hits which were repaired without any issues. Then one really cold morning I had to turn on the front defroster and seemed like all the prior repairs all CONNECTED WUTH EACH OTHER!!!! IT WAS BAD. SO I HAD TO GET THE ENTIRE WINDSHIELD REPLACED.

First go around was at a local mom and pop glass shop and OEM glass with Lexus logo was used. But due to their inexperienced staff, there were a lot of wind noise and water leaks on top of the windshield!!! Went back and the mom and pop glass shop said they can't guarantee anything on the second try. They offered to refund my deductible and call it even which I said OK.

Then we went to a Safelite that the Lexus dealer recommended. What a nightmare. That same Safelite shop did my windshield like literally 12, yes, twelve times!!! The same issue the first two times with water leaks plus wind noise. The next 9 times were wind noise. On the TWELVE try, the boss man himself showed up to make sure. Back then they had two colored "glue", one white and one black as I recalled. Evidently the tech did not out enough to complete the seal and hence the water leak and wind noise. And the glue cartridges were very expensive so they did not want to use to use too much. On the TWELVE try the boss man made sure all good which it was.

But here is the thing,....... Even though it was back in 2002, this record sticks. Whenever I change my insurance company when they run a loss report on me, this shows up with me changing twelve windshields in one year with the same vehicle. After I explained to the new insurance company they don't question me anymore for THAT INSURANCE company. I asked them what would I do with twelve windshields already mounted on my SUV? I can't really take it out quickly and resell it. Besides I have to take time out to get it done each and every time!!!

So just ask lots of questions. Ask the exact step by step what they will do and what is taken off AND WHAT IS REPLACED, including any rubber parts. What will be discarded and why? What if they damage something? How do you know if the rain sensors, auto headlights function, defroster function are still working?

Old 01-17-17, 08:58 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Back in around 2001 we had a stone chip on our then brand new 2000 LX470 we bought in 2000. Took less than a week before we had our first hit which were repaired satisfactorily by an out of town safelite in Orlando Mickey Mouse town while we were on vacation. The over the next 9 months or so with highway driving we sustained more hits which were repaired without any issues. Then one really cold morning I had to turn on the front defroster and seemed like all the prior repairs all CONNECTED WUTH EACH OTHER!!!! IT WAS BAD. SO I HAD TO GET THE ENTIRE WINDSHIELD REPLACED.

First go around was at a local mom and pop glass shop and OEM glass with Lexus logo was used. But due to their inexperienced staff, there were a lot of wind noise and water leaks on top of the windshield!!! Went back and the mom and pop glass shop said they can't guarantee anything on the second try. They offered to refund my deductible and call it even which I said OK.

Then we went to a Safelite that the Lexus dealer recommended. What a nightmare. That same Safelite shop did my windshield like literally 12, yes, twelve times!!! The same issue the first two times with water leaks plus wind noise. The next 9 times were wind noise. On the TWELVE try, the boss man himself showed up to make sure. Back then they had two colored "glue", one white and one black as I recalled. Evidently the tech did not out enough to complete the seal and hence the water leak and wind noise. And the glue cartridges were very expensive so they did not want to use to use too much. On the TWELVE try the boss man made sure all good which it was.

But here is the thing,....... Even though it was back in 2002, this record sticks. Whenever I change my insurance company when they run a loss report on me, this shows up with me changing twelve windshields in one year with the same vehicle. After I explained to the new insurance company they don't question me anymore for THAT INSURANCE company. I asked them what would I do with twelve windshields already mounted on my SUV? I can't really take it out quickly and resell it. Besides I have to take time out to get it done each and every time!!!

So just ask lots of questions. Ask the exact step by step what they will do and what is taken off AND WHAT IS REPLACED, including any rubber parts. What will be discarded and why? What if they damage something? How do you know if the rain sensors, auto headlights function, defroster function are still working?
Thanks for sharing your story, this is the reason why i am hesitate on replacement the windshield, i am just go to the repair route at least I won't get any wind noise or leak in the future, and might trade it in for the 17" or 18" models, i know it is big lost but i want my truck to be in a perfect condition, but let see how the repair turn out first?

Quick Reply: Sad day :(