Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Airbox Mod (good or bad?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-17, 10:01 PM
eefmydee
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Airbox Mod (good or bad?)

So I decided to mod my airbox and see if this is going to make a difference. I wanted to see what people have done and to see peoples different intake mods for the SC400. Feel free to post up your pics and tell your stories of before and after please. My after will be coming up soon.

Old 01-15-17, 09:51 AM
zeus87gn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, you have just removed the cold air capability of the intake
it is now drawing in warm air from the engine compartment

I don't have any pictures, but I did mod my air intake on my 92 400 (I can get pictures if you really want)
I'll try and describe what I did
The 'snorkel' (your second pic, left box, oval rectangle) has an extension that gets too close to the inside of the bumper, within the right front fender (in front of the front tire) - I removed the lower half of the extension to allow it to have more available air from the large cavity in there - I also covered a large opening on the plastic cover that divides the engine compartment from this cavity in the fender - this basically turns the entire cavity into a giant air catcher with the lower air dam opening on the right side gathering outside air
Old 01-15-17, 12:16 PM
eefmydee
Rookie

yea zeus I see what ur saying. I forgot to say I am not done yet because I will be making it a sealed box to where the radiator heat and engine heat will not get to it and also getting air from where the original snorkel was. I was thinking about doing a ram air but the problem with that is if there's rain and you have it direct and it went to the Box I'm afraid that water will get in there so I think I'm just going to have a sealed off box where air gets shoved into an area for the engine to suck up instead of it going from outside directly to box
Old 01-15-17, 12:19 PM
zeus87gn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eefmydee
...I will be making it a sealed box to where the radiator heat and engine heat will not get to it and also getting air from where the original snorkel was.
Ah, now I think I see what your doing
Basically putting a larger snorkel down into the fender?
The following users liked this post:
eefmydee (01-17-17)
Old 01-17-17, 03:46 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Just make sure water doesn't get into that filter box or your engine will be ingesting water / mist...rather than clean air and it will lock up.
Old 01-17-17, 01:18 PM
eefmydee
Rookie

I was looking on how the challenger have there ram air intake setup that sticks out in the middle of the hood. When they opened the hood I was not a ram air at all but on the outside it looked like it. What they did is feed the rammed air into a large box where the filer was in and the pipe that came from the ram air part to the box did not aim right at the filter. It just looked like a cold air intake sitting in a large box. Thats what imma try and do.
Old 01-17-17, 02:04 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I've done that before, it helps some especially if you close it off. I used to leave the snorkel on the bottom, and just cut another hole on the top but what you did works also.
Old 01-17-17, 02:46 PM
eefmydee
Rookie

by the way now it sounds really deep concerning the intake note, and with the deleted resonators.........its pure sex
Old 01-16-18, 01:51 PM
Celtica
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus87gn
IMO, you have just removed the cold air capability of the intake
it is now drawing in warm air from the engine compartment

I don't have any pictures, but I did mod my air intake on my 92 400 (I can get pictures if you really want)
I'll try and describe what I did
The 'snorkel' (your second pic, left box, oval rectangle) has an extension that gets too close to the inside of the bumper, within the right front fender (in front of the front tire) - I removed the lower half of the extension to allow it to have more available air from the large cavity in there - I also covered a large opening on the plastic cover that divides the engine compartment from this cavity in the fender - this basically turns the entire cavity into a giant air catcher with the lower air dam opening on the right side gathering outside air
Do you have any pics ? I just posted a thread asking about this very thing before I saw this, I'm thinking of cutting down the snorkel some and adding some tubing from it to the opening next to the fog light for a direct airflow set up.
Old 01-17-18, 02:12 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

The space below the front of the snorkel is open for pulling air from below the headlight, instead of through it. Just gotta open up the bottom of the snorkel and optionally build a ramp to direct more air to it.
Old 01-17-18, 03:38 PM
Celtica
Driver

Originally Posted by t2d2
The space below the front of the snorkel is open for pulling air from below the headlight, instead of through it. Just gotta open up the bottom of the snorkel and optionally build a ramp to direct more air to it.
have you tried this yet, and if so, how did you like it, any seat of the pants change in acceleration?
Old 01-17-18, 11:16 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Celtica
have you tried this yet, and if so, how did you like it, any seat of the pants change in acceleration?
No, I'm in the habit of recommending things I haven't tried.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-thoughts.html

3+ years later, I can't say I really remember how much difference it made. It definitely didn't hurt.
Old 01-18-18, 05:06 AM
logix7
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

i did the BFI (per planetsoarer http://planetsoarer.com/BFIHardware/BFIHardware.html) about a month or so ago. I can't really say ive noticed any difference. intake is ever-so slightly louder but barely. hasnt hurt anything, thats for sure
Old 01-18-18, 08:53 AM
Celtica
Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by t2d2
No, I'm in the habit of recommending things I haven't tried.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-thoughts.html

3+ years later, I can't say I really remember how much difference it made. It definitely didn't hurt.
.Oh hey, awesome, I'm going to check that out. Thanks brother !
Old 01-18-18, 08:56 AM
Celtica
Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by logix7
i did the BFI (per planetsoarer http://planetsoarer.com/BFIHardware/BFIHardware.html) about a month or so ago. I can't really say ive noticed any difference. intake is ever-so slightly louder but barely. hasnt hurt anything, thats for sure
Well at least it didn't hurt anything like you said.��

Quick Reply: Airbox Mod (good or bad?)