RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Degregation in gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-17, 01:10 PM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Degregation in gas mileage

I've owned my 2010 RX AWD since 2012. While I'm less than impressed with the gas mileage overall at least it was reasonably consistent.

Then a few months ago I notice the mileage got significantly worse.
Doing the same commute I've always done I'm seeing maybe a 10%-15% reduction.

Around here they reformulate the gas in November (I think) and I normally see a reduction but what I'm getting recently is still 10%-15% less than that.

Even on the highway I can't seem to get over 20 MPG.

The car seems to run fine otherwise and I'm using the same 93 octane gas from the same station I've always used.
I put new tires on but I doubt they could make that big of a difference. Tires are inflated properly.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-13-17, 01:14 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

The winter reformulation always messes up my mpg along with lower tire pressure due to colder temps. Please write your Congress Person to get rid of the ethanol requirement. We can and need to support our domestic (U.S.) oil drillers while supporting our farmers. Mandatory corn oil is not the way.
Old 01-13-17, 01:23 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe your gas station got a new supplier?
I'd say your new tires may be affecting gas mileage, and winter gas blend making it worse.
Old 01-13-17, 08:56 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Check you air pressure. Also your tires may be too heavy or too much resistance?

Try a different brand of gas?

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Maybe your gas station got a new supplier?
I'd say your new tires may be affecting gas mileage, and winter gas blend making it worse.
Old 01-14-17, 05:07 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I filled up yesterday at a different station so we'll have to see if that helps.
I will also check tire pressure to make sure it's still normal.
Old 01-14-17, 06:20 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You already know the answer, haha. It's the new tires and the winter blend fuel that are making the difference.
Old 01-14-17, 07:58 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ejm3
... I can't seem to get over 20 MPG...
Any thoughts?
How do you determine your MPG?
Old 01-16-17, 09:33 AM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=ejm3;9736590]I've owned my 2010 RX AWD since 2012. While I'm less than impressed with the gas mileage overall at least it was reasonably consistent.

The car seems to run fine otherwise and I'm using the same 93 octane gas from the same station I've always used.
I put new tires on but I doubt they could make that big of a difference. Tires are inflated properly.

New tires are making the difference, and possibly a tune issue, or other variable. Often, the ECM in the vehicle can make adjustments to compensate for a bad state of tune, and the car will feel and sound okay, but is not as efficient as when properly tuned. I am betting on tires, though. Tell us exactly what tires, brand, model, and size, please.
Old 01-16-17, 11:38 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Last week I filed up at my local Costco gas station. I got only 22 mpg on highway. Then I filled up at a Love's truck stop. Coming back on I5 the same route in central CA got 33 mpg . Both fill ups were with regular gas. I think Costco gas is not any good. Now I'm back home driving in mixed city and highway and I'm getting around 35mpg. Usually in mixed driving I get around 40 mpg.

This is on my CT200h, BTW.

IDK if this winter blend gas did this? When did the winter gas started? My tires and other variables are the same with no changes.

[QUOTE=11bravo;9738967]
I've owned my 2010 RX AWD since 2012. While I'm less than impressed with the gas mileage overall at least it was reasonably consistent.

New tires are making the difference, and possibly a tune issue, or other variable. Often, the ECM in the vehicle can make adjustments to compensate for a bad state of tune, and the car will feel and sound okay, but is not as efficient as when properly tuned. I am betting on tires, though. Tell us exactly what tires, brand, model, and size, please.

Last edited by lexusrus; 01-16-17 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-16-17, 11:54 AM
11bravo
Pit Crew

[QUOTE=lexusrus;9739126]Last week I filed up at my local Costco gas station. I got only 22 mpg on highway. Then I filled up at a Love's truck stop. Coming back on I5 the same route in central CA got 33 mpg . Both fill ups were with regular gas. I think Costco gas is not any good. Now I'm back home driving in mixed city and highway and I'm getting around 35mpg. Usually in mixed driving I get around 40 mpg.

Sir, you did not indicate that you are driving a Prius. You must be, because there is not an RX350 in the world that gets 40MPG. And, the only way you could go from 22mpg on one leg of a trip to 33 on the return is if the first was all uphill, and the return was all downhill. Surely you realize that your numbers are an absolute impossibility, correct?

A simple change in fuel cannot account for 11MPG, all other things being equal. Costco fuel is Top Tier, equal to the best anyone else sells. You really need to figure out how to determine mileage, and what affects mileage. I'm jus' sayin'....
Old 01-16-17, 01:55 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

AND I'm just saying what I see on the dash readout. Same route no other changes except for different gas statios. This is on my CT200h, BTW.

It was the same route back and forth. To was with Costco fill up. Trip back was the Love Truck Stop fill up.

Incidentally I fly out of LAX a lot and every single shuttle van drivers (Super Shuttle and Prime Time) I asked, they all DO NOT use Costco or Sam's Club gas even though they have access to and cheaper. They seemed to use mostly Chevron, Texaco, Mobil, Shell, and etc. Also they STAY AWAY FROM ARCO AM/PM CRAP.

You said Costco is "TOP TIER" which is true. But did you know ARCO AM/PM also HAS "TOP TIER" designation? But ARCO is crap BC every time I put in ARCO gas, even premium, I get bad mileage and just not very smooth driving.
So to me "TOP TIER" IS JUST SOME MARKETING SCAM.

Just saying.

[QUOTE=11bravo;9739147]
Originally Posted by lexusrus
Last week I filed up at my local Costco gas station. I got only 22 mpg on highway. Then I filled up at a Love's truck stop. Coming back on I5 the same route in central CA got 33 mpg . Both fill ups were with regular gas. I think Costco gas is not any good. Now I'm back home driving in mixed city and highway and I'm getting around 35mpg. Usually in mixed driving I get around 40 mpg.

Sir, you did not indicate that you are driving a Prius. You must be, because there is not an RX350 in the world that gets 40MPG. And, the only way you could go from 22mpg on one leg of a trip to 33 on the return is if the first was all uphill, and the return was all downhill. Surely you realize that your numbers are an absolute impossibility, correct?

A simple change in fuel cannot account for 11MPG, all other things being equal. Costco fuel is Top Tier, equal to the best anyone else sells. You really need to figure out how to determine mileage, and what affects mileage. I'm jus' sayin'....

Last edited by lexusrus; 01-16-17 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-16-17, 02:03 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

My mistake for thinking I was on the RX forum. Whatever gas makes you happy, fine with me.

Our RX 350 gets pretty much the same mileage whether it is Costco, Sams Club, Arco, or Chevron. Tried 'em all, now buy mostly Costco.
Old 01-16-17, 02:22 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I also apologize for not making it clear on my first posting I was driving my CT200h, not my other RX450h.

It's just I find it interesting most, if not ALL Shuttle van drivers DO NOT go to Costco, Sam's Club, or ARCO. I have not seen any of the Super Shuttle or Prime Time Shuttle gas up at Costco, Sam's Club, or ARCO. It would sure be "cheaper" for them. I know a lot of them run CNG. But there are some nonconverted at SAN airport running regular gas. Same thing with all those Prius taxis at LAX.

Originally Posted by 11bravo
My mistake for thinking I was on the RX forum. Whatever gas makes you happy, fine with me.

Our RX 350 gets pretty much the same mileage whether it is Costco, Sams Club, Arco, or Chevron. Tried 'em all, now buy mostly Costco.
Old 01-16-17, 03:49 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

There is a lot of talk on numerous auto forums about "top tier" gas. Many folks think it is a marketing gimmick which a maker of fuels can purchase a license for use. It is much more than that, however. Certainly anytime you own the rights to a superior grade product, it will be marketed. We all have to decide for ourselves what is "gimmick", and what is the real thing.

Top Tier Detergent Gasoline is a performance specification and trademark designed and supported by several major automakers — BMW, General Motors, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi (as of 2017). Top Tier gasolines must maintain levels of detergent additives that result in a higher standard of engine cleanliness and performance as compared to the EPA requirement. In addition, Top Tier fuels may not contain metallic additives, which can harm the vehicle emission system and create pollutants. Fuels which qualify for Top Tier status mush achieve the higher requirements in every grade of gasoline produced. Resultantly, no vendor selling Top Tier fuel can only have Top Tier Premium...all grades must qualify under the TTDA guidelines.

Independent studies by AAA and Consumer Reports found that gas labeled "Top Tier" had significantly higher levels of beneficial additives, sufficient enough for both to consider the generally higher price of TT fuel to be worth it for longer engine life, and overall better performance.

I don't advocate any brand of gas over another. Since Costco and ARCO are both Top Tier, and both far cheaper than other leading brands, I use them regularly. I won't disagree with anyone else's feelings, or results. We must decide for ourselves.
Old 01-16-17, 04:02 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I see what you are saying.

Question:. Are there different grades within "top tier" gas brands? Who had done "controlled double blind" studies (if even possible?) and see if there are any differences WITHIN "top tier" gas brands (especially mpg differences within the same octane level across different gas brands)?

Originally Posted by 11bravo
There is a lot of talk on numerous auto forums about "top tier" gas. Many folks think it is a marketing gimmick which a maker of fuels can purchase a license for use. It is much more than that, however. Certainly anytime you own the rights to a superior grade product, it will be marketed. We all have to decide for ourselves what is "gimmick", and what is the real thing.

Top Tier Detergent Gasoline is a performance specification and trademark designed and supported by several major automakers — BMW, General Motors, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi (as of 2017). Top Tier gasolines must maintain levels of detergent additives that result in a higher standard of engine cleanliness and performance as compared to the EPA requirement. In addition, Top Tier fuels may not contain metallic additives, which can harm the vehicle emission system and create pollutants. Fuels which qualify for Top Tier status mush achieve the higher requirements in every grade of gasoline produced. Resultantly, no vendor selling Top Tier fuel can only have Top Tier Premium...all grades must qualify under the TTDA guidelines.

Independent studies by AAA and Consumer Reports found that gas labeled "Top Tier" had significantly higher levels of beneficial additives, sufficient enough for both to consider the generally higher price of TT fuel to be worth it for longer engine life, and overall better performance.

I don't advocate any brand of gas over another. Since Costco and ARCO are both Top Tier, and both far cheaper than other leading brands, I use them regularly. I won't disagree with anyone else's feelings, or results. We must decide for ourselves.

Quick Reply: Degregation in gas mileage