IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Coilovers: KWv3 vs HKS Hipermax

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-17, 02:17 PM
Tom2769
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Coilovers: KWv3 vs HKS Hipermax

Coilovers will be my next upgrade to my '11 F and I'm primarily considering the KWv3s and HKS Hipermax IVs. I don't track my car, and while I value sporty driving (mountains/canyons, etc), I'd like to add a bit more comfort to the ride. I don't expect the car to ride like an LS, so no need for the "if you want comfort buy a different car" responses. I'd just like to minimize some of the thumping over road imperfections. My '11 suspension is currently stock except for the USRS. Has anyone driven/ridden in F's with both of these setups? What were your impressions between the two?
Old 01-12-17, 04:18 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

There are a few members here that have the HKS Hipermax IVs, hopefully they can chime in with their experience. From what I remember they like them and they are more compliant than the stock suspension, they are around $2000

The KW v3s are probably the most widely used coil over set up on the ISF maybe next to the BC coil overs. They seem to be a favorite among members here and soften up the ride. You can find a used set usually around $2,100 or so......
Old 01-12-17, 08:51 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Loved them..

Parted out my car and have them for sale.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 01-13-17, 06:48 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the HKS.
Between these 2 choices you need to ask yourself what type of ride you want.
KW are soft for the ISF but perfect for someone who daily drive and doesn't track the car.
HKS are stiffer but very well dampened. For myself I could've accepted even stiffer but overall happy with the HKS. Can't even consider the low rates of the KW.
Old 01-13-17, 07:35 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have HKS thanks to Max's recommendation. I found them to be a major improvement over my stock 08 suspension. Currently I have them dial closer to stiff (between half and full stiff) and it is very comfortable. I daily drive my F in all seasons
Old 01-18-17, 07:54 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Edit: i just adjusted the compression on the KW's and comfort is much better. however, here in SoCal, i don't think anything can help the IS F. that's my experience so far.

Last edited by mindcrime; 01-19-17 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-18-17, 11:12 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I know that the Hipermax IVs are a good setup for the money (I have actually used the Hipermax IV SP on my own vehicle when testing different single adjustable dampers). However, if you're looking for comfort and/or flexibility then I would definitely go with the KW V3s. They are a 2-way as well so you can adjust the compression damping to your liking independent of rebound. Essentially you can back down on (soften) compression without also softening the rebound damping, making the car bouncier and/or floatier (which is what typically happens when you run rebound too soft for a given spring rate).

On pretty much all single adjustable dampers the compression damping is pretty much fixed and the **** is to adjust rebound damping. Almost all of the consumer grade single adjustable dampers advertise the one **** being tied to both compression and rebound in one click but this can be a little misleading- anytime you adjust compression or rebound in a single, double or triple adjustable damper, it technically always slightly affects the other in a phenomenon known as "crosstalk". The degree to which a damper does this this varies widely and generally speaking you can expect a higher end damper do it less than the less expensive/lower quality ones. Just something to consider.

If you are interested in either PM me for pricing! We will be running a sale on the KW V3s soon but I would be happy to extend that discount now if you don't want to wait.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 01-18-17 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-18-17, 02:46 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

For the price of the kws you could get slightly used Penskes if performance is your priority. They also come with proper spring rates for the isf.
Old 01-18-17, 04:10 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I feel like the BCs with 16/12 Swifts are the top option on my list, all things considered. Even the almighty Penskes have their detractors among those that have them--I think there is a set for sale due to the harshness of the ride. The KW rates seem way too soft by the numbers.
Old 01-18-17, 06:20 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
I feel like the BCs with 16/12 Swifts are the top option on my list, all things considered. Even the almighty Penskes have their detractors among those that have them--I think there is a set for sale due to the harshness of the ride. The KW rates seem way too soft by the numbers.
The penskes are not harsh but they're a bit noisy over NYC roads. If you don't live in the NY metro area I'd definitely recommend them. When I took them to VA and Pennsylvania, they were great.
Old 01-18-17, 11:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
I know that the Hipermax IVs are a good setup for the money (I have actually used the Hipermax IV SP on my own vehicle when testing different single adjustable dampers). However, if you're looking for comfort and/or flexibility then I would definitely go with the KW V3s. They are a 2-way as well so you can adjust the compression damping to your liking independent of rebound. Essentially you can back down on (soften) compression without also softening the rebound damping, making the car bouncier and/or floatier (which is what typically happens when you run rebound too soft for a given spring rate).

On pretty much all single adjustable dampers the compression damping is pretty much fixed and the **** is to adjust rebound damping. Almost all of the consumer grade single adjustable dampers advertise the one **** being tied to both compression and rebound in one click but this can be a little misleading- anytime you adjust compression or rebound in a single, double or triple adjustable damper, it technically always slightly affects the other in a phenomenon known as "crosstalk". The degree to which a damper does this this varies widely and generally speaking you can expect a higher end damper do it less than the less expensive/lower quality ones. Just something to consider.

If you are interested in either PM me for pricing! We will be running a sale on the KW V3s soon but I would be happy to extend that discount now if you don't want to wait.

-Matt M.
What coils for the ISF do you like for moderate track work and streetability . You can PM
Old 01-19-17, 05:21 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
What coils for the ISF do you like for moderate track work and streetability . You can PM
Moderate track work? That's definitely an understatement from the likes of you, my friend!

-Mike
Old 01-19-17, 06:06 AM
Kojak77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the HKS Hipermax IV GT's and I love them.

I had Swift springs on stock suspension for a little over a year before I switched to the HKS, and I have zero regrets.

Install was easy, no need to take apart the factory suspension, and modify and factory parts like KW.
Old 01-19-17, 08:04 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Wouldn't the Greddy coilovers be more comparable to the HKS than the V3's?
Old 01-19-17, 08:12 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
Wouldn't the Greddy coilovers be more comparable to the HKS than the V3's?
I was wondering the same thing. Does the shock body valving have more affect on the ride/handling than the actual springs? It seems like Greddy may have changed out the springs (more stiff) for the IS-F application rather than developing a new coil over system. Correct me if I'm wrong but, would this be the same as taking a BC coilover for a x250 and then simply swapping a stiffer spring on it? In any case, I gave up on buying the GreddyxKw but wonder if anyone else bought it. Feedback would be great as they are priced well.

Quick Reply: Coilovers: KWv3 vs HKS Hipermax