GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Which year is better 2013 or 2014???? Or it doesn't matter???

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-17, 01:28 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which year is better 2013 or 2014???? Or it doesn't matter???

So, I currently have a 2008 GS 350, but I'm thinking of making the move to a 2013 or 2014 GS350 F Sport - I've found one out of town and the other in my area, one with 27,9xx miles (out of town - $26,900 - RWD), and the other with 36,xxx miles (in town - $32,000 - AWD). I have been looking through the threads and haven't found what I'm looking for, which is, are there any pressing issues that I need to know about for either year, or is one year better than the other??? Both of the cars listed above are 2013s, but I have found some decent deals on 2014s, so I just want to make sure there isn't some crazy issue like there was with the GS300's vs the GS350s.... Sorry if this has been asked/answered - feel free to post a link if you know where this discussion has been held already!!!
Old 01-11-17, 01:37 PM
Nasrul3698
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go for the 2014. The 2014 has that Enform app and a few other improvements.
Old 01-11-17, 01:39 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

One thing you may want to consider, or at least to have knowledge about is - the 2013 GS 350 has a 6-speed transmission, which is thought by many to be a better transmission. Starting the 2014 the GS 350 RWD received an 8-speed transmission, whereas the 2014 AWD kept the 6-speed.

The 8-speed transmission has a tendency for the ECU to make it hunt for its best gear at times, whereas the 6-speed does not tend to do this.
The following users liked this post:
Kuleaze (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 01:40 PM
yang88she
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 2014 will have the updated transmission too
Old 01-11-17, 01:41 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by yang88she
The 2014 will have the updated transmission too
Updated, but not necessarily better...as viewed by many.
Old 01-11-17, 01:46 PM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

This topic was discussed numerous times.

What's New for 2014
-Transmission Sport mode now provides eight steps, rather than six, and also adds a kickdown switch
-Flush mounted sensors for available Intuitive Park Assist
-Full color display added to optional Heads-Up Display
-Available Blind Spot Monitor adds Rear Cross Traffic Alert and power-folding mirrors
-Siri Eyes Free technology licensed from Apple; compatible with iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 models
-Climate Concierge feature now included with optional heated/ventilated seats.
-Luxury Package changes: LED foglamps, Superchrome finish for 18-inch wheels, and the rear armrest control panel display adds display option to view radio station and song title information.
-Lexus Night View system discontinued

Originally Posted by atrac7
I test drove a bunch of 14's and 13's before going with the 13.

I will say, since my model DOES have the HUD, I would have liked the color display. I also could have benefited from the powerfolding mirrors when parking in downtown Dallas at times. A power trunk close would have been nice too, because for some reason the rear deck requires an awful amount of force to close it. Kind of silly for such a high end car (regardless of the year).

However...the downshifts on the 14 versus the 13 was very noticeable for me. On the 14, you could sense a feeling of the car "hunting" for the proper RPM range and gear. On the 13, there was much more of a sense of urgency when clicking down a few gears. I enjoyed the sound tone more on the 13 too when throwing it into sport + and downshifting.

If one isn't into spirited driving and feeling more "connected" to the car, then 14 is the way to go. However, if you enjoy a little bit of drama, the 13 really made me smile when test driving. Can't go wrong with either options though.

2013 Pros:
  • Better for spirited driving (IMO, could be subjective)
  • Price point. There was a noticeable difference in pricing between 13 and 14s. The deals around here were too sweet for me to look beyond the 2013 model

2014 Pros:
  • More refined in terms of tech updates, but I think you'd really appreciate it only if you're used to a 2014+, and then have to go back to 2013. Then you may gripe about the lack of some creature comforts.
  • I would assume it seems to hold its resale value a bit better due to some "future" proofing of said technology (8spd vs 6spd)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-or-14-gs.html
Kuleaze (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 01:47 PM
atrac7
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^Like BClexus said...i am one of those who believes the 2013 has a better transmission.

More info and opinions from this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-or-14-gs.html

This is what I posted there:

I test drove a bunch of 14's and 13's before going with the 13.

I will say, since my model DOES have the HUD, I would have liked the color display. I also could have benefited from the powerfolding mirrors when parking in downtown Dallas at times. A power trunk close would have been nice too, because for some reason the rear deck requires an awful amount of force to close it. Kind of silly for such a high end car (regardless of the year).

However...the downshifts on the 14 versus the 13 was very noticeable for me. On the 14, you could sense a feeling of the car "hunting" for the proper RPM range and gear. On the 13, there was much more of a sense of urgency when clicking down a few gears. I enjoyed the sound tone more on the 13 too when throwing it into sport + and downshifting.

If one isn't into spirited driving and feeling more "connected" to the car, then 14 is the way to go. However, if you enjoy a little bit of drama, the 13 really made me smile when test driving. Can't go wrong with either options though.

2013 Pros:
  • Better for spirited driving (IMO, could be subjective)
  • Price point. There was a noticeable difference in pricing between 13 and 14s. The deals around here were too sweet for me to look beyond the 2013 model

2014 Pros:
  • More refined in terms of tech updates, but I think you'd really appreciate it only if you're used to a 2014+, and then have to go back to 2013. Then you may gripe about the lack of some creature comforts.
  • I would assume it seems to hold its resale value a bit better due to some "future" proofing of said technology (8spd vs 6spd)
Kuleaze (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 01:48 PM
atrac7
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whoa...songoku and i were in near unison with our posts and referencing same thread

But yes, discussed many times. Overall conclusion is you can't lose with either, basically matter of preference.
Old 01-11-17, 01:51 PM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by atrac7
Whoa...songoku and i were in near unison with our posts and referencing same thread

But yes, discussed many times. Overall conclusion is you can't lose with either, basically matter of preference.
Beat you by a minute. lol
Old 01-11-17, 02:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by songoku
This topic was discussed numerous times.

What's New for 2014
-Transmission Sport mode now provides eight steps, rather than six, and also adds a kickdown switch
Just to note my '15 does not have the throttle kickdown switch. So to clarify, that's only on the RWD models (8 speed) right?
Old 01-11-17, 03:53 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Always buy the newest, lowest mileage car you can afford. On a '13, the original 4yr-50k bumper to bumper warranty most likely has expired or will expire this year. On the '14s, you will likely have some time left on the 4yr-50k original warranty.

If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, a 2013 is the ticket. IMO, the updates/changes to the '14 aren't worth paying extra for...if the prices are close, get the '14. Good luck with hunting one down, you can't go wrong with either one!
Old 01-11-17, 05:50 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Always buy the newest, lowest mileage car you can afford. On a '13, the original 4yr-50k bumper to bumper warranty most likely has expired or will expire this year. On the '14s, you will likely have some time left on the 4yr-50k original warranty.

If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, a 2013 is the ticket. IMO, the updates/changes to the '14 aren't worth paying extra for...if the prices are close, get the '14. Good luck with hunting one down, you can't go wrong with either one!
Eh, I'm not sure newest and lowest should "always" be the driving factor. Is it nice to have a newer car with lower miles when you can afford it, absolutely, but my main goal here was really to get input on known issues. I didn't want to go with the '13 or '14 and find out there was some issue that happened to plague that model or year.

For example, the 8-speed hunting for a gear would drive me nuts, so I'm especially thankful for that bit of information. The Enform App is something I'll have to look up and then decide how important that feature would be to me, if it is, than knowing a '14 AWD with the 6-speed is the way to go.

I will say this, when I first starting looking for my '08 GS 350 I was not a member of this site. It was after I bought the car that I joined and learned about the issues with AWD when it came to lowering the vehicle. This time around I will most likely stick to RWD so I don't experience the vibration that comes with lowering the vehicle - assuming that's still the case with the AWD '13 or '14 and the Enform App doesn't make me want it so badly that I don't worry about lowering the car?? :-)

As for the topic being discussed, I appreciate all of you still responding - I promise I did look, but either missed it or my search was flawed!!
Old 01-11-17, 08:05 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Pros and cons on specs as discussed, it comes down to what you value more. Also, CPO vs non-CPO should also be a factor when deciding between each year. I've seen some amazing deals on non-CPO '13s, it's crazy how cheap you can get a 4th gen with reasonable mileage nowadays. But if going CPO, a '14 will give you the longer warranty.
Old 01-12-17, 12:33 AM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kamskeez
Pros and cons on specs as discussed, it comes down to what you value more. Also, CPO vs non-CPO should also be a factor when deciding between each year. I've seen some amazing deals on non-CPO '13s, it's crazy how cheap you can get a 4th gen with reasonable mileage nowadays. But if going CPO, a '14 will give you the longer warranty.
Completely understand the value aspect. To be honest, I'm leaning toward the 2013, only because I've found one with 27K miles for a really good price ($26K), and only because I've not heard from anyone here about serious issues with that year. I'm not too concerned with the warranty - I make a point to put a certain percentage of my income away until I hit $2500 for the unexpected car repair, so I have that covered. I have to ask though, what does CPO mean? That's one I haven't heard before.

On a side note, I'm also shocked at the price I can get a 2013-14 with low miles.. I bought my '08 GS 350 with 46K miles for 23K and I thought that was a deal at the time (bought in 2014). Even now I've been checking prices for my current car and it's still around 19K. I've had the car 3 years and only put 22K miles on it. Working from home helped in that department! :-)
Old 01-12-17, 01:59 AM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuleaze
Completely understand the value aspect. To be honest, I'm leaning toward the 2013, only because I've found one with 27K miles for a really good price ($26K), and only because I've not heard from anyone here about serious issues with that year. I'm not too concerned with the warranty - I make a point to put a certain percentage of my income away until I hit $2500 for the unexpected car repair, so I have that covered. I have to ask though, what does CPO mean? That's one I haven't heard before.

On a side note, I'm also shocked at the price I can get a 2013-14 with low miles.. I bought my '08 GS 350 with 46K miles for 23K and I thought that was a deal at the time (bought in 2014). Even now I've been checking prices for my current car and it's still around 19K. I've had the car 3 years and only put 22K miles on it. Working from home helped in that department! :-)
Gotcha, that makes sense. CPO means Certified Pre-Owned. It's the premium that Lexus adds on to their used cars that fall within a specific range of requirements. They do an inspection, fix certain things, and tack on a 2 yr warranty beyond the 4yr/50k factory warranty. Some more info here.

Quick Reply: Which year is better 2013 or 2014???? Or it doesn't matter???