GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Gas Pump Constantly Shutting Off Prematurely

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 04:27 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Gas Pump Constantly Shutting Off Prematurely

Hi All,

I did some searching and found many other posts on CL about other models of Lexus experiencing the same problem. No concrete reason seems to have been found.

Basically, since I got my 2008 GX470 a month ago, every time I take it to the gas station (ANY gas station) the pump shuts off prematurely long before the tank is anywhere near full.

There have been a variety of reasons posited for why this happens, but again, there's been no concrete follow ups that point to the actual problem.

Has anyone experienced this with their GX specifically?

Some have suggested just putting the auto-fill latch at halfway so the fuel dispenses more slowly. Which I'll be sure to try next time I tank up. But today I literally stood at the pump for over 10 minutes meting out little squirts of fuel as it constantly shut off. Similar to what the nozzle is supposed to do when your tank is actually full and you start overfilling (which I wasn't).

I did notice that if I took the nozzle out of the tank and waited for 30 seconds, that I could get a half gallon in before it shut itself off again.

Should I take this to mean that some kind of vent isn't working as intended?

I've owned 3 Lexus prior to this and a myriad of other cars and I've never experienced this before so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-17, 05:23 PM
Listers
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the exact same problem with the Mazda I owned just before I bought the GX. It would work fine when I filled the tank with the engine running but if I did it with the engine off, the nozzle would click off every $3-5 and take forever.
Old 01-09-17, 08:37 PM
Luap
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you try different angles , the nozzle , and maybe pull it out some , find a sweet spot , move it around
Old 01-10-17, 10:39 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Something not right with your GX, maybe a collapsed fill tube--I can put the nozzle in and open it up wide open and it will continue till its full, then I slowly add another 3 gallons or so til she is right at the top of the filler neck )
Old 01-10-17, 11:46 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same problem with my truck. Do not put the nozzle all the way down to the tank, have to pull it out until you see the nozzle tip just 1/4 inches over the gas tank gate.
Old 01-10-17, 01:59 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the same problem when I 1st got mine. I did the same thing shyguyF did, I wasnt putting the nozzle all the way in! NEVER had that problem again! LOL!
Old 01-10-17, 02:48 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Shyguy says OUT and Dx22 says all the way in lol----When I fill up I stick the nozzle in all the way and never had an issue.

I think thats what you guys are saying from the way I read it
Old 01-11-17, 11:16 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Pull it out some. Also start slow and then lock it open, it should fill. Gas pumps know to shut off by a hole in the end of the nozzle that senses vacuum. If thw gas reaches that hole, it will shut off.
Old 01-17-17, 09:08 AM
ddoo3105
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 gx470

Hi all, I'm also experiencing the same issue with my new-to-me 2005 GX470. I've tried five different gas stations all with the same result. The gas pump would shut off prematurely whether I pump fuel at full throttle, half throttle, or quarter throttle. I've tried with the nozzle partially and fully inserted into the tank with the same results. This is very annoying and frustrating. Anybody come up with a definitive solution to this problem?

Thanks!
Old 01-17-17, 09:31 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

weird---I have zero issues with any stations, I can pump in gas full tilt at any time--
Old 01-17-17, 12:19 PM
Luap
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ddoo3105
Hi all, I'm also experiencing the same issue with my new-to-me 2005 GX470. I've tried five different gas stations all with the same result. The gas pump would shut off prematurely whether I pump fuel at full throttle, half throttle, or quarter throttle. I've tried with the nozzle partially and fully inserted into the tank with the same results. This is very annoying and frustrating. Anybody come up with a definitive solution to this problem?

Thanks!
come to Sedona Az , and try the pump I am using to see if it works in yours
Old 01-17-17, 04:39 PM
ddoo3105
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My independent mechanic said that the problem could be caused by either an EVAP issue or a venting issue. Does this sound like a reasonable cause of the problem? Any thoughts on how much either of these solutions would set me back?
Old 01-17-17, 04:59 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

I have had my GX for about 2 years. I remember putting gas in the 1st time, it was a bit awkward position. I want to say it........ IM GOING TO GET GAS NOW!!!

ddoo did he say a smoke rest? It could be BIG bucks!

I AM REALLY GOING, BE BACK W/UPDATE!

Too many people are having issues. The easiest and fastest thing I would do is clean and inspect the gas cap and filler tube, wipe around it.

Ok, Im OUT!
Old 01-17-17, 05:51 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Just put 40 bucks in, full throttle, no issues. I did notice that I (ok, I have a dirty mind. This is for demonstration purposes ONLY! ) I take the nozzle and put it directly into the filler hole. Some may be kind of sliding it in? Using the filler as a guide? Straight in and pump away! I did inspect my fuel cap, O.E. the rubber seal didn't look dry rotted or torn/worn. I did notice on the right side of the filler tube (facing the truck) a small hole, which may be a breather for the evap. I didn't spend too much time out, no jacket on.
Old 01-17-17, 10:34 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Could be an EVAP canister all messed up, I would think it would give you a code if it was that big an issue-- not sure on where it is but they are pretty pricey 400-800 bucks

Last edited by Booyah; 01-17-17 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Gas Pump Constantly Shutting Off Prematurely