GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bluetooth audio not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 03:32 PM
CTNYC
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bluetooth audio not working

I have a puzzling issue with my 2014 non-ML GS350. When I start my car, both my phone and my car automatically connect via bluetooth, and both show that music is playing. The bluetooth was working without issue for the first month of ownership, but this issue randomly came up.

I already tried
-Restarting the car
-Restarting my phone
-Quitting & relaunching the music app on my phone
-Deleting all phones stored in my car & deleting the car from my phone and then repairing them

However, I am able to both receive and make phone calls with no issues. I've also tried to connect my phone via USB (with bluetooth on and off on my phone) -- Same issue with the bluetooth connection - Shows as playing on both phone and car, but no audio.

Has anyone experienced this issue or have any suggestions? This has been available for a few days now and I can't figure it out.

Has anyone else had this issue? I have my 40k mile service coming up in around 2k miles/2 weeks, so I'll probably bring up the issue then, but I'm driving up to Toronto for the new year and would like bluetooth music (although I guess I can deal with XM)
Old 01-03-17, 01:45 PM
sakuragrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would make sure that apps such as YouTube is not being used on your phone. It would be safe to close all apps but your music app and see if it connects when you start it up.
Old 01-03-17, 02:12 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Phone volume turned up at least 1/2 way?
Old 01-03-17, 02:15 PM
sibs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my BT do some weird stuff like completely disconnect and not recognize the device - forcing me to delete and add back the device at times. In other instances, it acted as if the BT module in the car was disconnected - i.e. the option for the BT menu was grayed out. At my last service appointment they updated the firmware - no issues yet.
Old 01-03-17, 02:38 PM
CTNYC
Rookie

Thanks for the replies -- Issue seems to have gotten a little better... Seems like if I was listening to XM for a long time (2-3 hours) then try bluetooth, it doesn't work. But a couple hours of driving and it works again... I'm bringing this issue up with my service department tomorrow (wow... I drove 6k miles in the first 34 days of ownership!).

Will keep you guys updated!
Old 01-03-17, 02:40 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sibs
I've had my BT do some weird stuff like completely disconnect and not recognize the device - forcing me to delete and add back the device at times. In other instances, it acted as if the BT module in the car was disconnected - i.e. the option for the BT menu was grayed out. At my last service appointment they updated the firmware - no issues yet.
I have the same issue occasionally. Only fix is to cycle power two or three times.
Old 01-06-17, 02:34 PM
CTNYC
Rookie

Seems like a system reset and reset of my phone fixed the issue for now :/ hopefully everything works well from here on out.
Old 01-15-17, 06:31 AM
cvuplay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if we talking about the same thing here. Bluetooth works until I plug the USB to charge my phone it stops. I have switch it to radio and back to media to get the sound back.
Old 01-16-17, 08:16 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Is this for Android or iOS/iPhone?
Old 01-18-17, 11:58 AM
CTNYC
Rookie

Originally Posted by cvuplay
I'm not sure if we talking about the same thing here. Bluetooth works until I plug the USB to charge my phone it stops. I have switch it to radio and back to media to get the sound back.
Not the same issue - Mine wouldn't play at all, but seems to be okay now. That sounds like what Acuras do - Once you plug in the USB, you need to toggle to listen to music from "iPod" or "usb" rather than bluetooth.

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Is this for Android or iOS/iPhone?
This was on iOS - I'm usually on the latest version within a couple days of Apple releasing an update.