Brand-new RC350 got keyed :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-16, 12:46 PM
hubadahub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brand-new RC350 got keyed :(

Hey all,
Figured I'd make a commiseration post if anyone else has had this happen (long-time lurker).
This Sunday, I bought a brand-new 2016 RC350 F sport in Atomic Silver. It's absolutely gorgeous/breathtaking to look at, and a true pleasure to drive. I've been looking for excuses to drive it...
This morning I went to a nearby Starbucks and when I came home I noticed that someone had drawn two distinct key-strokes on the passenger-side hood of the car. Thankfully my neighbor saw me trying to buff it out and gave me Formula1 Scratch Polish and a towel. It all buffed out, so they either didn't try very hard or Lexus clear coat is magical.

Has anyone else had this happen to their brand-new Lexus?

I've been fretting about it for the past few hours--just can't get over it!! I'm so afraid it's going to happen again. At the same time, I want to just be OK with it getting scratched. I'm trying to tell myself I'll get it fixed if someone does anything worse...which, hopefully they won't. Ordered some Formula1 and will carry that and a soft towel in my trunk from now on. Haters, man.

Going downtown today and have to park my car in a shopping lot, so I'm very nervous about that. I hate these feelings because I love driving my car!!
Old 12-13-16, 02:05 PM
paulwall4
Lead Lap

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by hubadahub
Hey all,
Figured I'd make a commiseration post if anyone else has had this happen (long-time lurker).
This Sunday, I bought a brand-new 2016 RC350 F sport in Atomic Silver. It's absolutely gorgeous/breathtaking to look at, and a true pleasure to drive. I've been looking for excuses to drive it...
This morning I went to a nearby Starbucks and when I came home I noticed that someone had drawn two distinct key-strokes on the passenger-side hood of the car. Thankfully my neighbor saw me trying to buff it out and gave me Formula1 Scratch Polish and a towel. It all buffed out, so they either didn't try very hard or Lexus clear coat is magical.

Has anyone else had this happen to their brand-new Lexus?

I've been fretting about it for the past few hours--just can't get over it!! I'm so afraid it's going to happen again. At the same time, I want to just be OK with it getting scratched. I'm trying to tell myself I'll get it fixed if someone does anything worse...which, hopefully they won't. Ordered some Formula1 and will carry that and a soft towel in my trunk from now on. Haters, man.

Going downtown today and have to park my car in a shopping lot, so I'm very nervous about that. I hate these feelings because I love driving my car!!
Damn that sucks but glad it came off
im skeptical too but sadly it will eventually happen
the first week i had my car found a shopping cart next to my rear bumper, luckily nothing happened
The following users liked this post:
hubadahub (12-13-16)
Old 12-13-16, 02:13 PM
hubadahub
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot for these responses, guys! Definitely agree with you, PatrixUSA. That's when they win, and it really is just an object (a gorgeous one). Even if it's got several scratches or dings, it still has a beautiful interior and a rockin' bulletproof engine
Old 12-14-16, 05:42 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

So sorry to hear this, hopefully "karma" will catch up with the a-hole that did that to you... People have not respect for others and it's only getting worse..

The emotions you're feeling now will eventually go away as you use and park it more.. Although it can still happen, when you go shopping park away from everyone else in the lot.. Again, anything can still happen but at least you're not near anyone who can ding or scratch it..

Good luck and try to enjoy your new RC..

Last edited by JT4; 12-14-16 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-14-16, 02:21 PM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
So sorry to hear this, hopefully "karma" will catch up with the a-hole that did that to you... People have not respect for others and it's only getting worse..

The emotions you're feeling now will eventually go away as you use and park it more.. Although it can still happen, when you go shopping park away from everyone else in the lot.. Again, anything can still happen but at least you're not near anyone who can ding or scratch it..

Good luck and try to enjoy your new RC..
Totally agree with this. The general public is full of deplorable individuals. When I take my RC, I always park as far away as possible -- in a visible location. I don't street park in busy urban areas (like a downtown neighborhood) and when in doubt during an event or someplace questionable I just take another car, the train or cab/uber.

Glad to hear everything worked out! Enjoy your ride.
Old 12-14-16, 02:30 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

haters gonna hate. especially in CA.
Old 12-14-16, 09:02 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably the most anger I've ever had when I noticed someone keyed my ES300 at a walmart a few years ago. It was very deep, but I was able to make it almost invisible with Dr. Color Chip's Paint kit. Glad you were able to buff it out.I try to never park near anyone. Obviously a Starbucks it's nearly impossible.
Old 12-15-16, 06:53 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedRcr
Totally agree with this. The general public is full of deplorable individuals. When I take my RC, I always park as far away as possible -- in a visible location. I don't street park in busy urban areas (like a downtown neighborhood) and when in doubt during an event or someplace questionable I just take another car, the train or cab/uber.

Glad to hear everything worked out! Enjoy your ride.
I also will never street park my V and will never take it to a questionable area.... If I go to a parking lot that is jam packed I simply drive away and go somewhere else.. And by some chance if there is a particular store my wife needs to go into, I will sit in the car while she shops if I can't park alone.

It always amazes me what you see while sitting in your car in a parking lot as other people "try" to park. I always cringe at how close most people come to other vehicles even though there is plenty of room. Or my favorite, more than a few times I have seen people put their packages on the hood or trunk of the car parked next to them as they open their car. Or the mom who leans the folded stroller on the car next to her as she opens the cargo door of her minivan.

Some people think I'm nuts for being the way I am, and that's ok with me. I have been like this since I got my first car at 17, and now at 50 I'm not changing..
Old 12-15-16, 07:26 AM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
I also will never street park my V and will never take it to a questionable area.... If I go to a parking lot that is jam packed I simply drive away and go somewhere else.. And by some chance if there is a particular store my wife needs to go into, I will sit in the car while she shops if I can't park alone.

It always amazes me what you see while sitting in your car in a parking lot as other people "try" to park. I always cringe at how close most people come to other vehicles even though there is plenty of room. Or my favorite, more than a few times I have seen people put their packages on the hood or trunk of the car parked next to them as they open their car. Or the mom who leans the folded stroller on the car next to her as she opens the cargo door of her minivan.

Some people think I'm nuts for being the way I am, and that's ok with me. I have been like this since I got my first car at 17, and now at 50 I'm not changing..

Your dedication is admirable! I'm serious. I'm the same way, but that's the only way to keep your car looking great. I actually pay more to park in a premium lot near my office (full of R8s and other delights) just so I don't come out to find a nice scratch or dent. No regrets living this way as well!
The following users liked this post:
JT4 (12-16-16)
Old 12-18-16, 02:34 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

That sucks! What area was this at? How were you parked? Not 2 parking spaces, right? Maybe get a DashCam? Last resort a gun for shady places. Lol!
Old 12-27-16, 06:36 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Really sorry to hear about your experience, but glad you were able to buff it out. BTW, I posted another thread in this forum entitled "Wow!" because I was blown away by seeing an RC in Atomic Silver and thought it was the most beautiful color I'd ever seen... especially on that car. It definitely is gorgeous to look at.

If it makes you feel any better, I had a guy rear-end me in my brand new '17 A4 and then take off. I haven't been in an accident in a long time, nor have I ever been in a hit-and-run, and the first thing I learned was to have my phone ready to take a picture off the license plate. Anyway, the car is back from the bodyshop and looking brand new again. There are lots of mean and stupid people out there, and unfortunately we are all car enthusiasts, so it is tough just to treat it like any other common possession regardless of what we tell ourselves. But just about anything can be fixed. Glad your new car is okay!
Old 01-09-17, 11:46 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Talking

Glad to hear it all worked out and that so many other drivers are just as crazy as I am parking away from everyone!
Old 01-22-17, 09:09 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

some hater stuck gum on my car. i waxed it the night before so it came right off. lol
Old 01-22-17, 09:31 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow1118
some hater stuck gum on my car. i waxed it the night before so it came right off. lol
Wtf! Maybe put a dash cam because it may be a repeat offender...
Old 01-23-17, 04:17 AM
TuckerE36
Rookie

I had my brand new RC350 F Sport keyed along the rear passenger side quarter panel within 10 hours of having it, I was livid. It's Molten Pearl so I knew it would attract a lot of attention but within 10 hours of driving it off the lot...People are just A-Holes.

Quick Reply: Brand-new RC350 got keyed :(