LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hitch on LS400?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-16, 04:40 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Hitch on LS400?

So I was looking around and found out you can install a hitch to your LS400 without drilling or putting holes in your car. I was wondering if this is true or not and if it is, is there a step by step tutorial on how to do it? I made a post here about a roof rack for skis a while ago but I am thinking if I install a hitch I can put in a ski hitch basket.

Thanks
Old 12-11-16, 05:45 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Hitches come with instructions but it is extremely easy and obvious how to install them on LS400's. I had hitches on both my 1990 and 2000 LS400 and used them countless times over 24 years to tow trailers and to carry bike racks. Here is a thread with photos that show the hitch I had on my 2000 LS400: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-to-ls400.html

LS400 hitches use the exhaust hanger bolts so it might be a bit difficult to remove yours after all these years. And I've never seen a 2" hitch for any LS400 - only the 1 1/4". If your exhaust hanger bolts remove easily installing a hitch should take no more than 30 minutes.
Old 12-11-16, 01:11 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I think you have to cut the plastic bumper panel where it would stick out the back. A special designed hitch would not need that and be a stronger hitch and a lot more money to do.
Old 12-11-16, 04:37 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dicer
I think you have to cut the plastic bumper panel where it would stick out the back. A special designed hitch would not need that and be a stronger hitch and a lot more money to do.
Cutting or removing the detachable trim panel under the rear bumper to install a trailer hitch is necessary only on the 90-94 Gen 1 LS400. Installation on the 95-00 LS400 is super easy although it would be best to have a helper since these hitches are heavy and both sides have to be held up at the same time.
Old 12-13-16, 08:58 AM
wolfy53
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Hitches come with instructions but it is extremely easy and obvious how to install them on LS400's. I had hitches on both my 1990 and 2000 LS400 and used them countless times over 24 years to tow trailers and to carry bike racks. Here is a thread with photos that show the hitch I had on my 2000 LS400: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-to-ls400.html

LS400 hitches use the exhaust hanger bolts so it might be a bit difficult to remove yours after all these years. And I've never seen a 2" hitch for any LS400 - only the 1 1/4". If your exhaust hanger bolts remove easily installing a hitch should take no more than 30 minutes.
This exactly. I removed mine and that is how it was installed. Easy to remove so easy to install. Just unbolted some of the exhaust hangers, then put them back on without the hitch. No cutting on my 99.

Also to get one installed try uhaul or any trailer company. I had one installed on my 06 f150 at a trailer place. Cheep and they did a great job, plus hooked up the wiring.
Old 12-13-16, 05:01 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wolfy53
This exactly. I removed mine and that is how it was installed. Easy to remove so easy to install. Just unbolted some of the exhaust hangers, then put them back on without the hitch. No cutting on my 99.

Also to get one installed try uhaul or any trailer company. I had one installed on my 06 f150 at a trailer place. Cheep and they did a great job, plus hooked up the wiring.
Be careful if you have a "uhaul or any trailer company" install a trailer light harness on an LS400. I bought a trailer light harness for my 2000 LS400 at a local hitch company that I had done business with for years. They were in the process of installing it when I saw that they were about to drill a hole from the trunk through the gas tank behind the rear seat to route the power wire through the interior to the engine compartment! I stopped them just in time. I was told that they were familiar with the LS400 but it was obvious they weren't. My regular mechanic then ran the trailer light harness's power wire out a hole in the trunk that an ABS wire passed through and then forward under the car to the accessory terminal in the engine compartment fuse box. He did a great job hiding the wire - I looked but couldn't find it.

Running the power wire for a trailer light harness underneath a vehicle to the engine compartment is pretty standard and a lot of installation instructions say to do it that way. I did it myself on my Sienna right after I bought it in 2014. If I had realized how easy it was I would have done it myself on my 00 LS400.
Old 12-14-16, 02:10 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

And like Kansas says, there is no reason what so ever to drill a hole anyplace to get a wire or wires out side, there are lots of used wire grommets and rubber plugs here and there to use. And still better than drilling a hole is to use one of the rubber plugs in the spare tire well, you'd have to be careful with the wire routing, but its doable.
Gosh follow the moon roof drains or something. I would have loved to see the aftermath of them drilling into that gas tank!
And lesson learned when ever having work done or install done on any car specify "Do not drill any non factory holes, meaning no drills come close to this car"
Old 12-14-16, 06:22 AM
wolfy53
Driver

And like Kansas says, there is no reason what so ever to drill a hole anyplace to get a wire or wires out side, there are lots of used wire grommets and rubber plugs here and there to use. And still better than drilling a hole is to use one of the rubber plugs in the spare tire well, you'd have to be careful with the wire routing, but its doable.
Gosh follow the moon roof drains or something. I would have loved to see the aftermath of them drilling into that gas tank!
And lesson learned when ever having work done or install done on any car specify "Do not drill any non factory holes, meaning no drills come close to this car"
Originally Posted by Kansas
Be careful if you have a "uhaul or any trailer company" install a trailer light harness on an LS400. I bought a trailer light harness for my 2000 LS400 at a local hitch company that I had done business with for years. They were in the process of installing it when I saw that they were about to drill a hole from the trunk through the gas tank behind the rear seat to route the power wire through the interior to the engine compartment! I stopped them just in time. I was told that they were familiar with the LS400 but it was obvious they weren't. My regular mechanic then ran the trailer light harness's power wire out a hole in the trunk that an ABS wire passed through and then forward under the car to the accessory terminal in the engine compartment fuse box. He did a great job hiding the wire - I looked but couldn't find it.

Running the power wire for a trailer light harness underneath a vehicle to the engine compartment is pretty standard and a lot of installation instructions say to do it that way. I did it myself on my Sienna right after I bought it in 2014. If I had realized how easy it was I would have done it myself on my 00 LS400.
Wow that is crazy! I'm glad you were able to stop them from doing that. Fortunately on my LS they never installed any lights! And they just used the factory exhaust hangers.
Old 12-16-16, 11:04 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

And goes to show you that just because there is a business that does something to peoples cars, it doesn't always mean they do it right or are qualified to do said work, or are honest about the work they are doing, or have people qualified to do the work.
I know I worked for a total crook one time when I was a teenager he had a specialty car shop of sorts and really ripped off his customers, big time.
Old 12-19-16, 10:04 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Sorry for not responding, for some reason I was not getting emails lol. Thanks, yea I do see the bolts and it seems very simple to do

It's good to know I can do this in case I wanted to get a bike hitch or ski hitch I don't have plans on towing anything with this car tho.
Old 12-20-16, 07:28 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by winter4w
Sorry for not responding, for some reason I was not getting emails lol. Thanks, yea I do see the bolts and it seems very simple to do

It's good to know I can do this in case I wanted to get a bike hitch or ski hitch I don't have plans on towing anything with this car tho.
Don't be afraid to tow with an LS400.I have Curt class 1 hitches on my 97LS and 99LS and tow short and long distance several times a year.The LS have power to spare and you can easily forget you are towing.Be sure to educate yourself on towing before making that first run.Good Luck.
Old 12-21-16, 01:18 PM
wolfy53
Driver

And goes to show you that just because there is a business that does something to peoples cars, it doesn't always mean they do it right or are qualified to do said work, or are honest about the work they are doing, or have people qualified to do the work.
I know I worked for a total crook one time when I was a teenager he had a specialty car shop of sorts and really ripped off his customers, big time.
Great advice here dicer! sadly this is the case in far to many places. Makes me appreciate the good mechanics I have found here locally even more!
Old 01-13-17, 01:51 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

So I was thinking about how hearing from some of you and reading elsewhere that people would screw up with the wiring on the car. I saw online those wireless blinkers. I am wondering if anyone has attempted to use one of those?