GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Mark Levinson or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-16, 12:17 PM
10tlshawd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mark Levinson or not?

I am looking at new Gs 350 F sports.I live in the midwest and there is no 2016's left.But several dealers have a few 2017's.None have the Mark Levinson audio system.I did look at one i am interested in without it.I listened to some music and it sounded really good.The salesman even got the keys to a truck they had with the mark levinson.The Gx i believe it was.I couldn't tell much of difference.So my question is.Is the 1400 option for the Mark Levinson worth it?I though it might be good to have for resale later.But the sales manager said it would only add a few hundred when traded in.I can see it being a option on Lexus's cheaper cars.But why on the GS especially the f sport model that is close to 60k sticker.Should be standard.I asked if they could see if any incoming stock might have that option in the next month or so.All they said was it would need to be a special order and it could take 6 months.I also could not get a clear answer on how many speakers does the regular radio have less than a Mark Levinson or how much wattage less is it.
Old 12-09-16, 12:31 PM
tknx
Pole Position

I think it is worth it, but Toyota sound systems are all pretty decent.
Old 12-09-16, 12:43 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Not sure this is much help, but on my '14 IS, I did not get the ML and regretted it. The base audio was fine but not that great. I do not know how it compares to the base audio in the GS. When I bought my GS, I made sure to get ML.
Old 12-09-16, 12:53 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

There is a reason it's not standard. 835w compared to stock and frequency achievement at the level ML can isn't stock...or they'd just make it the standard. The truest comparison is equal cars, one ML, one not, sound settings down to the details have to be matched and with the same source (CD, radio, HD radio, Satellite, BT), same music selection ....doors open, doors closed..etc. Then you can say for a fact you've heard the true differences.

The salesman wants you to buy a car.

Wait for the car you want. Not saying you will regret it, but you might wonder about it...
\
Sal

Last edited by MustangSal; 12-09-16 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-09-16, 01:08 PM
spiveyb
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I was in a similar situation about 2 months ago when I purchased my 15 gs350, same color as yours. I went with the one without the ML system just due to the fact of a better deal. Not to mention the standard sounds great to me. It's not like I'm blasting my system anyways lol. Go for whatever makes you happy, mines was getting the best deal as long as it was an F Sport.
Old 12-09-16, 01:24 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Where in Illinois are you? I would assume maybe the Chicagoland area, If so, you'll have a good selection of dealers to choose from. Living here in Peoria, most people drive to Chicago to purchase their cars due to better selection. I would go for the ML if possible but, you're the one who needs to decide. Are you willing to travel out of state to find what you want? I'll be buying mine either out west or the southeast due to no RWD's being available here in the rust belt.
Old 12-09-16, 08:58 PM
10tlshawd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MustangSal
There is a reason it's not standard. 835w compared to stock and frequency achievement at the level ML can isn't stock...or they'd just make it the standard. The truest comparison is equal cars, one ML, one not, sound settings down to the details have to be matched and with the same source (CD, radio, HD radio, Satellite, BT), same music selection ....doors open, doors closed..etc. Then you can say for a fact you've heard the true differences.

The salesman wants you to buy a car.

Wait for the car you want. Not saying you will regret it, but you might wonder about it...
\
Sal
Yes i know the salesman wants me to buy the car.I keep thinking that when he said there wasn't much difference between the two.I even said Lexus wouldn't charge 1400 dollars for something that wasn't better.I am going to keep thinking and see if i can find one with it to compare.Thanks for your input
Old 12-09-16, 09:10 PM
10tlshawd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by charley95
Where in Illinois are you? I would assume maybe the Chicagoland area, If so, you'll have a good selection of dealers to choose from. Living here in Peoria, most people drive to Chicago to purchase their cars due to better selection. I would go for the ML if possible but, you're the one who needs to decide. Are you willing to travel out of state to find what you want? I'll be buying mine either out west or the southeast due to no RWD's being available here in the rust belt.
Yes i am in the Chicago area.I have looked at the inventory from other dealers in the area online.It looks like Lexus has sent the dealers here all the same option equipped GS 350 F sports right now.None look to have the Mark Levinson.I am going to keep thinking right now.Keep searching for one to show up hopefully.Thanks for the input.If any one else went threw this decision let me know how you came to a decision
Old 12-10-16, 04:12 AM
jeffreyr
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the standard system in my RX350, and it was just fine, though not outstanding. I got the ML in my 2016 GS350 and I think it is terrific. At the end of the day, we are talking about audio, so a lot of it is subjective. But the ML sounds crisp, clear, full, with good solid bass. Everything sounds good, including XM, FM, iPhone, etc. DVD-Audio discs, of which I have quite a few, sound exceptional.

Like anything else, you need to weigh this option along with all of the others, the cost, what is available, etc. But ML is definitely one to strongly consider IMHO. Good luck.
Old 12-10-16, 04:40 AM
rodnex
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got no ML in my GS... I love the standard sound system when surround sound is enabled. Don't see necessity for ML.
Old 12-10-16, 08:06 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by rodnex
I've got no ML in my GS... I love the standard sound system when surround sound is enabled. Don't see necessity for ML.
Some people have reported that the standard Lexus sound system actually sounds better than the Mark Levinson sound system when certain music file formats and radio delivery (e.g. satellite radio) is used.

I have the standard sound system and I think it sounds great. I've heard the Mark Levinson system and personally wouldn't pay anything close to the premium price for it.
Old 12-10-16, 08:53 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I think the Mark Levinson system is great and wouldn't get a Lexus without it. It's not that expensive compared to other sound system upgrades on other luxury car makers. For the 2015MY and newer, the Mark Levinson system has a new feature called Clari-Fi that improves the sound quality of less than optimal audio sources (I.e., satellite radio and MP3).
Old 12-10-16, 09:04 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 10tlshawd
Yes i know the salesman wants me to buy the car.I keep thinking that when he said there wasn't much difference between the two.I even said Lexus wouldn't charge 1400 dollars for something that wasn't better.I am going to keep thinking and see if i can find one with it to compare.Thanks for your input
I was just meaning that they're pretty much going to try and influence you around the things you might be stuck thinking about. They'll definitely exploit the things you outwardly love about the car. If they're really serious about making a sale, nothing is an obstacle. Especially for new...should be able to negotiate some dealer to dealer shipping.

I'm in Virginia and bought my GS from a dealer in California. Just nothing worth the $ here on this coast. The dealer was very fair about a covered trailer and transport fee.
Old 12-10-16, 10:03 AM
scfz1000
Rookie

i have the premium (12 speaker) sound system in my 2011 rx-350 and ml in my 2007 es350...no comparison...ml is much better.....i don't think i would buy another Lexus without it.
Old 12-10-16, 11:57 AM
Dkp1111
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2016 gs350 has ml, last week took a loaner 2016 gs350 non ml to a long trip out of town. Would say i missed my ML! The bass is nicer, trep and mid much better. Both have 12 speakers but the sound is no comparison. Sound system is the option that you will use the most out of all so i think it is worth to wait for it. (Has the technology package with adapt cruise control, but I don't even use it ()

Cars ship to dealer everyday, check on cars.com for dealer inventory. Rule #1 never rush when you purchase a car.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson or not?