RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2017 iihs top safety pick +

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-16, 01:08 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 2017 iihs top safety pick +

Good news and bad news...first the good: The 2017 Lexus RX 350 and 450h was awarded the 2017 IIHS Top Safety Pick+ rating. That's great news that the RX is considered one of the safest cars on the road.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...light-criteria
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh.../rx-4-door-suv

Unfortunately, not everything is great...for those of us (me included) with Triple-Beam LED headlights. If you optioned up for the Triple-Beam Headlights, apparently the IIHS does not think they are acceptable and only gave a "Marginal" rating. While I think they are some of the best headlights I have used...I've never actually tested them with meters and equipment. At least they look cool !

Luckily for those with Bi-LED projectors with turn assist, those units got an "Acceptable" rating were the standard headlights also got a "Marginal" rating.

As a point of comparison, here are the other cars in this class that at least got a TSP+ rating (in other words, "Acceptable" headlight ratings as well).
Acura MDX

Acura RDX

Audi Q5

Buick Envision

Lexus NX

Lexus RX

Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class

Volvo XC60
Old 12-08-16, 02:46 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice info. My guess is that the triple beam lights provide higher light intensity at closer distances, and less at further distances compared to the base LED projectors. The IIHS data only shows where the intensity drops below the 1 lux (which is 1 lumen per square metre) threshold. It doesn't indicate the light intensity closer to the headlights. I could see this method being applicable to high-beam testing, but in most city conditions, it's not applicable. Also, the intensity is tested at a height of 10 inches off the ground, which is a pretty low object. For us nerdy folks, it would be nice to see a contour plot of the intensity at various distances and angles.

I thought the triple beams also have adaptive lighting... but maybe I'm getting confused with auto-levelling instead?

Last edited by computerwi; 12-10-16 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-08-16, 09:16 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

My triple beam LEDs low beams seem to be pretty bright narrow beams, maybe due to its L-shape configuration. The high beams have more of a wider spread. The lights do not turn with steering, but another LED next to fog light turns on when the signal/blinker is activated or driving slow and turning. This illuminates the turn. Very useful turning at crossroad and into driveways.

Wished different segmants of the high beam would turn on depending on adjacent traffic or incoming traffic.
Old 12-10-16, 04:10 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

My question is how douchey is it when the auto high beams are on and doesn't turn off on oncoming traffic or when someone is trying to turn right on the street you're on at a signal light and is blinded by your high beams..

I wish I could leave the auto high beams always on.
Old 12-10-16, 10:39 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
My question is how douchey is it when the auto high beams are on and doesn't turn off on oncoming traffic or when someone is trying to turn right on the street you're on at a signal light and is blinded by your high beams..

I wish I could leave the auto high beams always on.
Luckily high beam on auto turns off below a certain speed (I think < 15 mph), so you can always leave it on. I leave it on on my GS.
Old 12-12-16, 05:43 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dchar
Luckily high beam on auto turns off below a certain speed (I think < 15 mph), so you can always leave it on. I leave it on on my GS.
Interesting. Never noticed that. Ok cool.
Old 12-12-16, 07:55 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

According to the manual the automatic high beam turns on at "approximately 21 mph (34km/h) or more."
Old 12-12-16, 08:28 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Curryolla
Good news and bad news...first the good: The 2017 Lexus RX 350 and 450h was awarded the 2017 IIHS Top Safety Pick+ rating. That's great news that the RX is considered one of the safest cars on the road.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...light-criteria
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh.../rx-4-door-suv

Unfortunately, not everything is great...for those of us (me included) with Triple-Beam LED headlights. If you optioned up for the Triple-Beam Headlights, apparently the IIHS does not think they are acceptable and only gave a "Marginal" rating. While I think they are some of the best headlights I have used...I've never actually tested them with meters and equipment. At least they look cool !

Luckily for those with Bi-LED projectors with turn assist, those units got an "Acceptable" rating were the standard headlights also got a "Marginal" rating.

As a point of comparison, here are the other cars in this class that at least got a TSP+ rating (in other words, "Acceptable" headlight ratings as well).
Acura MDX

Acura RDX

Audi Q5

Buick Envision

Lexus NX

Lexus RX

Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class

Volvo XC60
For those of us with the triple beam, I have a dumb question. Since the light diagram for the tri-beams shows light falloff closer than desired, would adjusting the beams very slightly upwards increase the distance without blinding oncoming drivers? And if yes, can the beams in fact be adjusted slightly upwards? (If not, why not just put slightly larger tires on the front (LOL)).

Last edited by sderman; 12-12-16 at 08:30 PM. Reason: missppelling
Old 12-12-16, 09:35 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sderman
For those of us with the triple beam, I have a dumb question. Since the light diagram for the tri-beams shows light falloff closer than desired, would adjusting the beams very slightly upwards increase the distance without blinding oncoming drivers? And if yes, can the beams in fact be adjusted slightly upwards? (If not, why not just put slightly larger tires on the front (LOL)).
The test measured light at 10 inches from the ground, so that is pretty low. Maybe the headlights center spot is higher than 10". Or maybe the small lenses of the triple beam cannot properly gather all the rays in that direction.

Also, note that a Philips screwdriver can be used to move the headlights aim. There are two bolts behind the headlight to adjust the headlight aim. The headlight aim is supposed to have been carried out at the factory.
Old 12-13-16, 09:08 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Originally Posted by sderman
I had the same conversation with my brother. Fixing the headlight distance could be as simple as adjusting the beam upwards. IIHS claims the triple beams do not cause any glare right now, so there is some room to move upwards.

In fact, this is sort of how the Prius with LED lights went from a (2016) Poor rating to (2017) Acceptable. Originally, they were causing "excessive glare" so Toyota angled them down for 2017. Now they are considered Acceptable, but lost about 11 meters of distance.
Old 12-13-16, 09:13 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

I had the same conversation with my brother. Fixing the headlight distance could be as simple as adjusting the beam upwards. IIHS claims the triple beams do not cause any glare right now, so there is some room to move upwards.

In fact, this is sort of how the Prius with LED lights went from a (2016) Poor rating to (2017) Acceptable. Originally, they were causing "excessive glare" so Toyota angled them down for 2017. Now they are considered Acceptable, but lost about 11 meters of distance.
I had a question about this. IF we do raise the headlights higher, wouldn't it just lower it because of the AUTO leveling? Or are we moving the whole housing so regardless, the auto leveling wouldn't be a factor?
Old 12-13-16, 11:52 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
I had a question about this. IF we do raise the headlights higher, wouldn't it just lower it because of the AUTO leveling? Or are we moving the whole housing so regardless, the auto leveling wouldn't be a factor?
Hmmm...that's a good question. I don't think Auto Leveling will automatically level down just like that. It is only activated by the amount of load in the car. Auto leveling probably has some preset level that it tilts down when it senses a certain amount of load in the car. So, if we adjust up, will it set that new position as center? I would imagine so.
Old 12-13-16, 12:40 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm...that's a good question. I don't think Auto Leveling will automatically level down just like that. It is only activated by the amount of load in the car. Auto leveling probably has some preset level that it tilts down when it senses a certain amount of load in the car. So, if we adjust up, will it set that new position as center? I would imagine so.
Cool. This sounds fun
Old 12-14-16, 12:49 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

When I first read about it, I thought it was like the European version where it constantly levels the headlights when you go over a bump... Lexus implementation seems to level when the car is started depending on the tilt of the car due to how it is loaded. Does anybody know how it really works?
Old 12-14-16, 01:39 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
When I first read about it, I thought it was like the European version where it constantly levels the headlights when you go over a bump... Lexus implementation seems to level when the car is started depending on the tilt of the car due to how it is loaded. Does anybody know how it really works?
This is what I found in the manual, but it would make sense to respond to bumps. But, yeah....does anyone know how it really works?

Quick Reply: 2017 iihs top safety pick +