Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Is Opti Coat worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 10:46 AM
paulwall4
Lead Lap

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Is Opti Coat worth the money?

Is it worth the money or is it just some BS?
need some input on this
Old 12-07-16, 11:16 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

It depends on what "worth it" means to you.

What specifically are you hoping to get out of having your car coated?

Please see the sticky: Everything You Need to Know About Paint Coatings!

In short, coatings will provide a far more durable layer of protection that will help to keep your car cleaner for longer periods of time and help to keep it looking better for longer periods of time. It is by no means a maintenance free system. Coatings still require regular proper care, but in the long run, it is much less work to maintain a coated vehicle than an uncoated vehicle. Also, despite what some detailers and manufacturers may claim, coatings will need to be reapplied from time to time if you wish to maximize the performance and appearance of your vehicle. We tend to recommend our customers come see us every 2-3 years for an extensive cleaning, light polish, and coating reapplication.

Other recent and possibly helpful articles:
The Truth Behind Wild Coating Claims by Zach McGovern
Coating Warranties…Valuable? by Greg Gellas

There are many options out there for long-term coatings, Opti-Coat Pro is just one option. If you're more of a DIYer, you can certainly apply a nano coating on your own as well.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

-Zach
Old 12-07-16, 11:35 AM
paulwall4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
It depends on what "worth it" means to you.

What specifically are you hoping to get out of having your car coated?

Please see the sticky: Everything You Need to Know About Paint Coatings!

In short, coatings will provide a far more durable layer of protection that will help to keep your car cleaner for longer periods of time and help to keep it looking better for longer periods of time. It is by no means a maintenance free system. Coatings still require regular proper care, but in the long run, it is much less work to maintain a coated vehicle than an uncoated vehicle. Also, despite what some detailers and manufacturers may claim, coatings will need to be reapplied from time to time if you wish to maximize the performance and appearance of your vehicle. We tend to recommend our customers come see us every 2-3 years for an extensive cleaning, light polish, and coating reapplication.

Other recent and possibly helpful articles:
The Truth Behind Wild Coating Claims by Zach McGovern
Coating Warranties…Valuable? by Greg Gellas

There are many options out there for long-term coatings, Opti-Coat Pro is just one option. If you're more of a DIYer, you can certainly apply a nano coating on your own as well.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

-Zach
Well it would be the OPTI-COAT PRO +

I just wanna know if i should save my money and not do it
the car has a full clear bra on it
and i normally wash the car every two weeks
Old 12-07-16, 11:37 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Is this something being pushed by the dealer when you sell the car??? How much is it???

Personally I think if you wax your car about once every 8 weeks with a quality wax by hand(assuming there are no swirls in the paint to start with), and never ever use an automatic car wash you'll be fine.
Old 12-07-16, 11:42 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by paulwall4
Well it would be the OPTI-COAT PRO +

I just wanna know if i should save my money and not do it
the car has a full clear bra on it
and i normally wash the car every two weeks
As I asked above.... what are you hoping to accomplish by having your vehicle coated? "Worth it" is a very subjective term. I have coated all of my vehicles for the past 4 years and will never go back to traditional waxes or sealants due to the added benefits of a nano coating, however not everyone shares the same feeling.

Is the entire vehicle wrapped in clear bra? or just the full front end?

Washing every 2 weeks using proper technique and products is a great maintenance plan. In fact, we recommend our customers wash their vehicles at least every 2 weeks to maintain their finish.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Is this something being pushed by the dealer when you sell the car??? How much is it???

Personally I think if you wax your car about once every 8 weeks with a quality wax by hand(assuming there are no swirls in the paint to start with), and never ever use an automatic car wash you'll be fine.
OC is installed by authorized detailers, not typically found at dealerships.

There are many benefits that a coating can provide compared to traditional waxes and sealants. You can find more info in the links I posted above.
Old 12-07-16, 11:42 AM
paulwall4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000

no i would never buy a coating from a dealer (i use to work for a dealership)
they charge way too much, they sometimes sell it but never apply the coating and it cost around $100 for the dealership and they would sell it for 1000-1500(when i was there i would never sell the coating to the customers)

its a shop that did my clear bra thats offering the opti coat pro +
Old 12-07-16, 11:45 AM
paulwall4
Lead Lap

As I asked above.... what are you hoping to accomplish by having your vehicle coated? "Worth it" is a very subjective term. I have coated all of my vehicles for the past 4 years and will never go back to traditional waxes or sealants due to the added benefits of a nano coating, however not everyone shares the same feeling.

Is the entire vehicle wrapped in clear bra? or just the full front end?

Washing every 2 weeks using proper technique and products is a great maintenance plan. In fact, we recommend our customers wash their vehicles at least every 2 weeks to maintain their finish.

OC is installed by authorized detailers, not typically found at dealerships.

There are many benefits that a coating can provide compared to traditional waxes and sealants. You can find more info in the links I posted above.
well I'm worried about bird poop staining and I don't know if can help with tree sap

yes the car is completely wrapped in clear bra
Old 12-07-16, 11:50 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

well I'm worried about bird poop staining and I don't know if can help with tree sap

yes the car is completely wrapped in clear bra
Coatings will provide a more durable sacrificial barrier that will help to protect the surface (paint) from being damaged by bird bombs and other harmful contaminates, but the coating is by no means bullet proof. These things still need to be removed ASAP to reduce the risk of etching.

My honest opinion is that if your entire car is wrapped in PPF, I would not spend the money on a pro coating like OC Pro + as the PPF will provide a substantially thicker barrier between the elements and your paint, and a nano coating will only add some chemical resistance to the surface. You can purchase consumer grade nano coatings (Optimum Gloss Coat is a fine example) that can be applied on your own that will help to add some durable protection on top of your PPF.

Since your car is wrapped entirely in PPF, the steps to prep the surface for coating is a bit different than working with bare paint... you will need to thoroughly wash and decontaminate the PPF. I'm hoping you haven't waxed the PPF... and if not, you will just need to do a quick wipe down with Optimum Paint Prep before applying Gloss Coat.
Optimum Paint Prep and Coating Kit
Old 12-07-16, 11:51 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

One key thing to remember with both PPF and Nano coatings is the word sacrificial barrier. Both of these products are applied over top of your paint as a means to protect the paint by taking the damage in the film and/or coating layer. Therefore both PPF and Nano coatings can and will get damaged and need replacing over time.
Old 12-07-16, 12:15 PM
paulwall4
Lead Lap

Coatings will provide a more durable sacrificial barrier that will help to protect the surface (paint) from being damaged by bird bombs and other harmful contaminates, but the coating is by no means bullet proof. These things still need to be removed ASAP to reduce the risk of etching.

My honest opinion is that if your entire car is wrapped in PPF, I would not spend the money on a pro coating like OC Pro + as the PPF will provide a substantially thicker barrier between the elements and your paint, and a nano coating will only add some chemical resistance to the surface. You can purchase consumer grade nano coatings (Optimum Gloss Coat is a fine example) that can be applied on your own that will help to add some durable protection on top of your PPF.

Since your car is wrapped entirely in PPF, the steps to prep the surface for coating is a bit different than working with bare paint... you will need to thoroughly wash and decontaminate the PPF. I'm hoping you haven't waxed the PPF... and if not, you will just need to do a quick wipe down with Optimum Paint Prep before applying Gloss Coat.
Optimum Paint Prep and Coating Kit
alright i appreciate the help!!!

so how do i go about cleaning the car with ppf?
Old 12-07-16, 12:39 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

alright i appreciate the help!!!

so how do i go about cleaning the car with ppf?
PPF does not change the way you wash the car... proceed as you normally would using the techniques in the link I shared above.

-Zach
Old 12-07-16, 12:48 PM
paulwall4
Lead Lap

PPF does not change the way you wash the car... proceed as you normally would using the techniques in the link I shared above.

-Zach
so i don't wax the ppf?
Old 12-07-16, 12:52 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

so i don't wax the ppf?
If you are not going to apply a coating, I would use a spray sealant to protect the PPF.
Examples: 22ple VS1 Final Coat, GTechniq C2 V3, CarPro Reload.

If you are going to apply a coating like I mentioned before, then you will not apply any other protection before the coating as the coating needs a clean surface to bond to.
Old 12-07-16, 03:26 PM
LDEUX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think it's worth the yen man, especially if you have the car fully wrapped already. If this were an LFA, GT3, or even a GT-R you planned to keep and hand down then yes but I think you've done well enough for an RC-F.
Old 12-07-16, 04:29 PM
paulwall4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LDEUX
I don't think it's worth the yen man, especially if you have the car fully wrapped already. If this were an LFA, GT3, or even a GT-R you planned to keep and hand down then yes but I think you've done well enough for an RC-F.
cool thanks man
yea i told the guy I'm gonna pass on the coating

Quick Reply: Is Opti Coat worth the money?