IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rear Wheel Uneven Wear (Vossen CVT Stagger Fit)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-16, 01:25 PM
GreentAzn
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy Rear Wheel Uneven Wear (Vossen CVT Stagger Fit)

Hey All,

It has been awhile since my last post, to get right to the point, I've been running on the below spec for about a year now.

Wheel Spec & Lowering Spring
Vossen CVT Gloss Graphite 20x9 +38 20x10.5 +45, RSR Half Down

1st Set of Tires
Toyo 4 Plus Front 225/35/20, Rear 255/30/20

About 6 months into this ride, one day my rear tires had a blowout, there was a hole penetrated from the inner-side of the rear tires. At that point, I knew it was due to my setup of a stagger fit with a Negative Camber. There were some friends that suggested to get my wheel aligned to correct the offset so it's sitting less on the inner sides of the rear wheels. At that point, it really didn't hit me that this was much bigger issue than I imagined, I do take fault for being careless. So I purchased 2 Hankook Ventus V12, and completed the wheel aligned and thinking the issue would go away.

Fast forward 5 months later (today), I recently noticed it's rubbing again on the inner-side of the rear tires. Noticed my front tires has been phenomenal, no issues whatsoever. I then brought the car back into the wheel aligned shop and they jackedup the car, it was then I noticed that I need way more work than alignment. Take a look at the pics below, it's essentially the same type of wearing that I've experienced from my first set of rear tires, except this one has not blow out yet, but it's really close.

Current tire condition (left, about to blow)

Current Tire Condition (right)

Alignment spec before adjustment ( it appears that the higher the toe on the right, it's saving my tires a little more for now, comparing to the left side)

I've asked the mechanic to temporary adjust the toe to match up to the right side tire for now so I can run couple more miles to get home. I'm not touching the car now until I find a solution. The adusted specs are below. You can see the toe on the left is now near equivalent to the right. This is a temporary fix on the left, so I don't have a blow-out.

I need all of your support to advise me on what to do, what to buy and preferably with specific recommended brand. At this point, I just want to have this fix and willing to pay to get my car all patched up so this doesn't happen again.

The mechanic is suggesting camber arms so I can work with the camber tilt and get it as close as it can get to zero, cause the stock camber is not adjustable. Are there any other solution or suggested fix I should put in place? Can you guys recommend a good quality camber arm or whatever is needed to fix this? I know there are quite a few of people on this forum that has this setup, are you guys experiencing the same thing?

Some background information, I'm a very frequent driver, I put out 70miles everyday for my commute, I have my car for about a year and half now, I'm at 35k miles.

This is a 2015 IS350 FSport. I am in the Orange County area, if you're a sport tuner shop that can take care my issues, please contact me direct or ask for my number.

Thanks for all your support as always!
Old 12-06-16, 01:27 PM
GreentAzn
Driver

Side note, I am pulling the trigger on getting 2 Toyo Proxes T1R immediately in the following spec: 255/30/20

Also, any best practice advise for guys like us sitting on a custom fit wheel for spares? Clearly the ones that comes with the car won't work.. what are you guys doing for backup incase a tire get nailed?
Old 12-06-16, 02:09 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

with RSR Half Downs, you should be able to get your toe numbers within spec... not sure why they are setting you up with such aggressive toe in numbers. Camber arms will help to an extent. SPC makes rear camber arms that are readily available (72450).

here's my spec sheet. front toe almost zero degrees, and rear toe less than .16 degrees. changing your wheel/tire setup will not affect how poorly your wearing your tires. you need to go to an alignment place that will line up your toe!!!! again... why the hell would that alignment shop set you up for 5.5mm and 6.0mm for your rear toe?! that's baffling.
The following users liked this post:
GreentAzn (12-06-16)
Old 12-06-16, 03:52 PM
GreentAzn
Driver

Originally Posted by dnasians
with RSR Half Downs, you should be able to get your toe numbers within spec... not sure why they are setting you up with such aggressive toe in numbers. Camber arms will help to an extent. SPC makes rear camber arms that are readily available (72450).

here's my spec sheet. front toe almost zero degrees, and rear toe less than .16 degrees. changing your wheel/tire setup will not affect how poorly your wearing your tires. you need to go to an alignment place that will line up your toe!!!! again... why the hell would that alignment shop set you up for 5.5mm and 6.0mm for your rear toe?! that's baffling.
Thanks for the response man. I will look into that, yea.. It's definitely not normal, but once I get my new set of rear tires on, and have camber in place, will definitely tailor back. Are there any other options out there for camber arm that fits my setup?
Old 12-06-16, 04:47 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Putting the month aside, how many miles did you have on both rear sets? Those tires are not designed to last over 10-12k miles if you are driving mostly city. I have the same camber wear on my stock RCF
Old 12-06-16, 05:32 PM
GreentAzn
Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Putting the month aside, how many miles did you have on both rear sets? Those tires are not designed to last over 10-12k miles if you are driving mostly city. I have the same camber wear on my stock RCF
Just north of 10k miles..
Old 12-06-16, 05:42 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GreentAzn
Just north of 10k miles..
thats pretty average for sports car low profile tires to last only 10k miles. Especially if you drive like you stole it daily in the city. Plus, you cant rotate them and the car comes with negative camber
Old 12-06-16, 05:46 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

From your tire picture, the wear looks pretty uniform for a negative camber setup. You are almost at the wear bar near the center and outward facing part of the tire
GreentAzn (12-07-16)
Old 12-06-16, 09:40 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

If you can make the drive, go to West End Alignment in Gardena and they'll help you out. No alignment sheet, because they do it old school by measuring, famous for doing a lot of race cars, but they'll be more than happy to tell you what parts you need and what you need to do to fix this.

If you want something in OC, try Corner 3 garage in Lake Forest, also very honest guys that will let you know what the best setup is and if you need to buy any parts to fix this.
GreentAzn (12-07-16)
Old 12-07-16, 09:40 AM
GreentAzn
Driver

Originally Posted by CLUM
If you can make the drive, go to West End Alignment in Gardena and they'll help you out. No alignment sheet, because they do it old school by measuring, famous for doing a lot of race cars, but they'll be more than happy to tell you what parts you need and what you need to do to fix this.

If you want something in OC, try Corner 3 garage in Lake Forest, also very honest guys that will let you know what the best setup is and if you need to buy any parts to fix this.
Hey CLUM,

thanks so much for your insight, I am no stranger to Lake Forest, on the call now with them already. Will provide update here soon.. thanks again man1

My tires just came today, so i'm excited to get this issue out of the way...
Old 12-07-16, 09:41 AM
GreentAzn
Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
From your tire picture, the wear looks pretty uniform for a negative camber setup. You are almost at the wear bar near the center and outward facing part of the tire
Hey ssmoked!

Thanks for the comment here, will definitely get it check out soon..
Old 03-29-17, 08:33 PM
Jsrog11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey GreentAZN - Any update on this? Looking to use same wheel and tire setup however putting on coilovers instead of just springs. I want to avoid the wear issue you were experiencing at all cost. Do you have RWD or AWD. If AWD, have you had any issue with transmission due to staggered setup? Thanks for any help guys.
Old 03-30-17, 05:27 AM
Napalvr
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE=Jsrog11;9818780]Hey GreentAZN - Any update on this? Looking to use same wheel and tire setup however putting on coilovers instead of just springs. I want to avoid the wear issue you were experiencing at all cost. Do you have RWD or AWD. If AWD, have you had any issue with transmission due to staggered setup? Thanks for any help guys.[/QUOTE
I have the same setup as GreenAZN with RSR downs for 2 years with no ill effects with the car and how it drives. My car is AWD BTW
Old 03-30-17, 05:38 AM
Jsrog11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Napalvr;9818993]
Originally Posted by Jsrog11
Hey GreentAZN - Any update on this? Looking to use same wheel and tire setup however putting on coilovers instead of just springs. I want to avoid the wear issue you were experiencing at all cost. Do you have RWD or AWD. If AWD, have you had any issue with transmission due to staggered setup? Thanks for any help guys.[/QUOTE
I have the same setup as GreenAZN with RSR downs for 2 years with no ill effects with the car and how it drives. My car is AWD BTW
@Napalvr any tire wear as described or camber issues? Rubbing? Can you also confirm tire/wheel sizes? Thanks again.
Old 03-30-17, 03:33 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

I always tell every car enthusiast about Suspension geometry, if you lower your car more than an inch you NEED CAMBER KIT and you need to SET THE ALIGNMENT to OEM SPEC otherwise this is what you gonna get. Even if you lower your car half inch you'll still get little camber wear it's like OEM suspension with off-alignment, custom setting only to look nice and cool, but if your car is a daily commute YOU CAN"T do that, yep tires will be gone in every 5-6 months exactly time range when we were tested back in the day.

Prepare 2000k $ for the camber kit or else go back to stock ! you gonna change new tires every summer ?

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Uneven Wear (Vossen CVT Stagger Fit)