IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My brand new car's steering wheel still vibrates at highway speeds - after service

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-16, 06:24 PM
Boomette
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My brand new car's steering wheel still vibrates at highway speeds - after service

Hi guys,
I just upgraded to a new 2016 IS 350 F Sport just over a week ago and noticed that there is a vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds. I took it in for service and they had it over the weekend. I picked it up tonight and I still feel the vibrations. They said they balanced the wheels and that the technician tested the car and all was good. Since it's clearly not corrected, I will need to go back. But any thoughts on what could be the issue if they actually balanced it? Suggestions on what I can ask?
Thanks for any advice you might have.
Old 12-05-16, 09:08 PM
Boomette
Rookie

Thanks! The vibrations are just by feel. Yes, always appears at highway speeds - more at 75-80. Hard to test anywhere else besides the highway though
Old 12-05-16, 09:23 PM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Wheel balance related, highly suggest ground balancing as it targets high speeds tire balance.
Old 12-05-16, 09:31 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep - the culprit is most likely something to do with the balancing of the wheels and tires.
Old 12-06-16, 07:57 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Welcome to Club Lexus. Vibrations in the steering wheel at speed can be caused by many things, from brakes, to tires, to shocks, to other suspension parts. Is the vibration pronounced enough to see visually or just by feel? Does the vibration always appear at a similar speed? Does this occur on all roadways?
Eh, not really. You post some somewhat accurate things sometimes mixed in with just wrong information. Vibrations "at speed" aren't really caused by brakes or shocks or "other" suspension parts. At least not in the OP's context. I wonder if you leave out any specifics because you don't know what parts could cause vibration at speed?

If you want to be helpful, and be specific, there are some specific parts within the general framework of the front subframe which can cause vibrations, but highly unlikely.

OP, first and foremost obviously you want to describe your problem what speed it comes, goes, and how severe the shaking is and when the shaking occurs. Does using the brakes affect it at all? My guess is you simply have a vibration that comes and goes 60-65mph and is not dependent on brake application.

Two if you get your wheels balanced, the quality of that balance is dependent on the tech doing it and the machine he's doing it with. That machine has to be regularly calibrated. My guess if it's a dealer, it probably is. But don't rule it out.

Three assuming the balance job is done correctly, you could have an out of round wheel. Unlikely if your car is new. But don't rule it out.

Four you could have a defective tire. Have the tech swap wheels out from another used IS to rule out the wheels/tires.

Five wheel to hub interface must be pristine. Wheel fasteners torqued to spec. (Unlikely on a new car but again don't rule it out)

There are two specific parts that come to mind that can be defective that may cause vibration but very highly unlikely.

I will tell you, as for your steering wheel vibration at speed that is not brake dependent, the parts that won't cause it:

"Suspension parts" as some think of it in a sense of shocks and springs. Shocks and springs will not cause vibrations as you are experiencing. Sway bars, steering shafts, steering shaft couplers/joints/ will not cause it.

If it were me, my money is on the tires. Or possibly ONE defective part. If your tech can't rule it out by swapping your wheels/tires, I can let you know what specific part he should check.

You should post a video of your vibration. Can the tech reproduce it?
Old 12-06-16, 08:00 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Also make sure you don't have a rock or something stuck in the wheel or tire. These things are QC'd from the factory. Did you test drive the car and it didn't have this vibration?
Old 12-06-16, 11:13 AM
Boomette
Rookie

Thanks so much for all the feedback guys, they said they did the balance and the tech's comments were if the customer still notices it to let him know. Makes me feel like he's hoping I'll just let it go. It's a very steady vibration, does not shake the steering wheel visibly, but you feel it enough that if I go on a trip, my hands will go numb from the vibration after a bit. I feel the slight numbness going to/from work and that's only a 15-20 min drive. But when I called this morning, the service guy said they are going to replace all the tires thinking that it might just be because of the car sitting on the lot for a period of time. He said the balance zeroed out, but suggested this is a common reason for it to continue. It's a 2016, so I have no idea when it actually arrived on the lot or how long it's been sitting. It only had 53 miles when I got it. Let's see if these new wheels do the trick.
Old 12-06-16, 11:55 AM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there another highway you can test on? I know that part of the 101 where I live looks smooth but you can feel the vibrations (and it worried me at first too). But when I went to a bunch of other smooth highways, it was perfectly fine. After closer inspection, it turns out that part of the 101 actually is kind of wavy, which is what was causing the vibrations.
Old 12-06-16, 01:43 PM
Boomette
Rookie

Well, in thinking about this further, my previous car (IS250) did not have this issue on the same highway, so it has to be this car/tires. It's also not an issue for other family members on this same road, they're all fine and no vibrations. Thanks for all the suggestions though.
Old 12-06-16, 04:56 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Was this car brand new or a demo or something?
Old 12-10-16, 07:07 AM
Boomette
Rookie

Default Update

So I have an update...but where do I begin?? I am having a terrible experience this time around. Back and forth with them all week, I am in my 3rd loaner now. They replaced the tires but I don't even know if that did the trick, cuz I didn't even drive off the lot. my husband noticed something on the rim.......curb rash!!! So now I'm in an RX and my car is sitting there all weekend...they can't look at it until Monday. No idea if I'll actually get it back on Monday or not. And....I have a Joe-Z axle back sitting on my living room floor waiting to be installed. smh
Old 12-10-16, 09:04 AM
janterry15
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boomette
So I have an update...but where do I begin?? I am having a terrible experience this time around. Back and forth with them all week, I am in my 3rd loaner now. They replaced the tires but I don't even know if that did the trick, cuz I didn't even drive off the lot. my husband noticed something on the rim.......curb rash!!! So now I'm in an RX and my car is sitting there all weekend...they can't look at it until Monday. No idea if I'll actually get it back on Monday or not. And....I have a Joe-Z axle back sitting on my living room floor waiting to be installed. smh
tires should do the trick. If not, u need to go do a "road force" balance. I had the same issue on my Miata back then. Balanced it 3 times until doing road force did the trick.

https://youtu.be/DQxVAssnbp8
Old 12-15-16, 09:19 PM
Boomette
Rookie

Angry Update

So I have a new update...afraid it's the same issue. They tried balancing, the did the road force balance, and still had an issue so they replaced the tires. But I finally got my car back and it's still vibrating at high speeds - and I did try another highway. It's in that 75-80 mph range that it really kicks in. I will have to take it back again.

And these are the tires they gave me: Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport --- are these the stock tires for a 2016 IS350 F Sport?
Old 12-15-16, 09:31 PM
PapaLeo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure if you considered that but by what you explained, you car fits profile of the Florida Lemon Law. Check it out if you would consider taking legal actions.
http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/automo.../lemon-law.php
The following users liked this post:
Boomette (12-22-16)
Old 12-16-16, 06:49 AM
metrik
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaLeo
Not sure if you considered that but by what you explained, you car fits profile of the Florida Lemon Law. Check it out if you would consider taking legal actions.
http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/automo.../lemon-law.php
this would be quite interesting if it qualifies. Good luck

Quick Reply: My brand new car's steering wheel still vibrates at highway speeds - after service