CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Stock Antenna Base Dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-16, 11:44 AM
mmmboost
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Stock Antenna Base Dimensions

Hi all, I have an aftermarket shark fin antenna installed and I'm looking to replace with with a different one. This is why I'm not able to measure my own antenna.

Can someone give me the L x W x H of the factory antenna base?

Here's the antenna I'm looking to try out...I know I will have to use a dremel to open the gap a bit, but I need to know the dimensions of the stock base first so I know if it's possible before I purchase.

Old 12-07-16, 06:54 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 121 Posts

I don't know if these help or not. it was difficult to get the right angle out of the camera lens, especially due to the sun being out and make it hard to see the screen.

Length is actually between 6.5" and 7".
Width at the widest and Height both seem to be about 2.5".

You can also drop by your local Lexus dealer and measure there if you ever need to, or contact their parts department to see if they have any antennas in stock.
The following users liked this post:
mmmboost (12-08-16)
Old 12-07-16, 02:26 PM
mmmboost
Driver School Candidate

@Raidin, Thank you for going out to measure that for me! I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I own a 2012 and and it has the older style with the long antenna mast (which is why I want to move to the shark fin style antenna like you have).

Below is the antenna base that I need the measurements for (excluding the antenna mast). If the dimensions work for the shark fin antenna I want to install, I will share that information and what I needed to do to get it to fit!

Old 12-08-16, 03:46 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Is it safe to assume you want to buy a cheap eBay shark fin vs the expensive beat sonic one?

I know I do. I got 2 and both didn't work and wasted money and time. So i have given up.
mmmboost (12-08-16)
Old 12-08-16, 08:14 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 121 Posts

Oh ok. I thought you were looking for stock sharkfin dimensions so you can install one.

Well then, best of luck! Might want to visit a used car site and see if anyone has a used CT of the year you need in your area if no one uploads pictures.
mmmboost (12-08-16)
Old 12-08-16, 09:44 AM
mmmboost
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gshadow325
Is it safe to assume you want to buy a cheap eBay shark fin vs the expensive beat sonic one?

I know I do. I got 2 and both didn't work and wasted money and time. So i have given up.
That's correct, I don't like the look of the Beatsonic antenna and the price doesn't help. Which two did you purchase and why didn't it work?
Old 12-08-16, 08:10 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmmboost
That's correct, I don't like the look of the Beatsonic antenna and the price doesn't help. Which two did you purchase and why didn't it work?
I just measured my 2013 antenna base. It's ~6" x 2.5" x 1.5". So that cover you're looking at will not fit unfortunately.
mmmboost (12-09-16)
Old 12-09-16, 04:28 PM
mmmboost
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RonSwanson
I just measured my 2013 antenna base. It's ~6" x 2.5" x 1.5". So that cover you're looking at will not fit unfortunately.
Thanks for measuring! I'm going to order the antenna anyways and take a Dremel to it. There was another user who did the same with a different cheap shark fin antenna with similar dimensions so I'm going to give it a try and report back.
Old 12-09-16, 04:56 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmmboost
Thanks for measuring! I'm going to order the antenna anyways and take a Dremel to it. There was another user who did the same with a different cheap shark fin antenna with similar dimensions so I'm going to give it a try and report back.
No problem! My two cents - I personally have no issue w/ the non-shark fin antenna look, but I have purchased a few aftermarket antennas to try to get it as low profile as possible. The ones I've picked up in the past were very similar to the picture you posted on 12/7, which I've had to replace many times because the black loses it's color and becomes a weird green. However, after you made this post, I checked out eBay again and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/232080731172. I just bought it yesterday and hopefully it'll look nice!
Old 12-09-16, 05:18 PM
mmmboost
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RonSwanson
No problem! My two cents - I personally have no issue w/ the non-shark fin antenna look, but I have purchased a few aftermarket antennas to try to get it as low profile as possible. The ones I've picked up in the past were very similar to the picture you posted on 12/7, which I've had to replace many times because the black loses it's color and becomes a weird green. However, after you made this post, I checked out eBay again and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/232080731172. I just bought it yesterday and hopefully it'll look nice!
Thanks for the input! I did something similar and was using a stubby 1.7" carbon antenna for a while and it looked better than the long 7" antenna that comes with the car.

I found that the antenna I'm planning to use comes with a removable base creating a larger opening so it should fit the stock CT antenna base. Here's a picture I found:

Old 12-21-16, 12:14 AM
604ct
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did that work?
Old 12-21-16, 03:02 PM
mmmboost
Driver School Candidate

I have not been able to try it yet because I currently have a different shark fin installed. But from measuring the opening of the new shark fin I received, I'm not confident it will fit even after modification due to the measurements I was given in this thread. I believe the opening of the new shark fin antenna is wide enough and tall enough but not long enough. The length of the opening is just under 6 inches and I was told the length of the OEM base is 6" or longer.

I may just remove the old shark fin antenna and mock up the new one...but here are some pics in the meantime.

Old 12-21-16, 05:45 PM
604ct
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what's the current one you have right now and why don't you like it? just like you, I have a 2012 and have already bought two antennas from eBAY/China but both of them seem too small for the longer antenna base the 2012 model has.
Old 12-21-16, 11:14 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Don't mean to thread jack, but I put on the antenna that I linked earlier. I really like it although I might dip it to give it a matte look. Just an alternative for those w/ pre-2014s.

Last edited by RonSwanson; 12-21-16 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 04:32 PM
mmmboost
Driver School Candidate

Default Complete

UPDATE: I was finally able to finish this project...

After dissembling the shark fin antenna, you have to dremel the little nubs that are left over from the inner skeleton of the antenna cover that was taken apart. I also dremeled the entire inside a bit to widen the opening to fit over the stock antenna.

You'll want to add a nubby antenna to the stock base for reception. The antenna that came with this shark fin antenna cover didn't fit right.

Put some 3M double sided moulding tape on the insde front and rear of the antenna cover and slide it over the top of the stock antenna base.
Finished product: