All I can find is that my map version is this:

21-12-27 (2012-06-1)

I looked at this link:

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what-to-order/

And this one:

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/how-to-install-update/

Does the dealer have to install it?

Do I have to buy it from the dealer?

How much does it cost to buy, and install?
Old 12-04-16, 02:45 PM
Maljunulo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is of interest to me, because my salesman said they would do it, but I don't know how to tell if they did.

2013 ES 350.
Old 12-04-16, 06:14 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
I have an ES 350.

How do I know what generation I have?

All I can find is that my map version is this:

21-12-27 (2012-06-1)

I looked at this link:

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what-to-order/

And this one:

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/how-to-install-update/

Does the dealer have to install it?

Do I have to buy it from the dealer?

How much does it cost to buy, and install?
You have the 2012 version. I believe the update is $169 or $210 depending on your year and around $100 to have it installed. And yes, the dealer has to do it. (unless you have an older DVD based system). Your gen is based on your model year. Find your year in the left column and then your gen in the 4th column.
Old 12-04-16, 06:17 PM
Maljunulo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchey
You have the 2012 version. I believe the update is $169 or $210 depending on your year and around $100 to have it installed. And yes, the dealer has to do it. (unless you have an older DVD based system). Your gen is based on your model year. Find your year in the left column and then your gen in the 4th column.
What is the latest version dated?
Old 12-04-16, 06:19 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Maljunulo
What is the latest version dated?
2016 V16.1 (CY16)
They are released in the late fall of each year. You would have to really love the navigation in these things to pay that much for a map update.
Old 12-29-16, 07:08 AM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Nav Update - My Experience

I got the nav update recently and thought I'd share my experience. While phone nav apps work well and are up to date, I prefer the convenience of the built-in nav on the ES. My July 2014 ES came with the [2013-06-01] nav data (i.e., 2013). The nav updates are dated JUNE but are available in OCTOBER. So I went in for my 35K a few days ago and decided to get the nav update after three years...to get the 2016 data. I figured every three years would justify the cost.

The "data sheet" that comes with the nav update they gave me afterwards says over 20% POIs [points of interest] were updated (over 8 million). Over 200,000 miles of new roads, over 50 metro areas have been updated, and hundreds of new subdivisions added. This is all from the last update--in 2015. So to upgrade from three years prior, there has got to be piles 'o updates. So I think it was definitely worth it.

After I updated, the screen looks slightly better. Some more green areas, blue water areas (creeks, etc.), cemetery's. The streets look better drawn. Some places that are "new" in the last few years in the DFW area are all there now. My wife and I will be traveling more and I wanted a newer nav + POIs for everywhere.

So, overall, I'm pleased. The final cost was $169 for the "part" and $98 for labor = $267. And for those who ask, to the best of my research, you used to be able to order the nav update part yourself, but now (as of 2013?) you HAVE to go through a Lexus dealer--i.e., pay the labor cost. $98 is silly for a software update, but that's life in a luxury dealership, I guess. I get a free lunch of drinks and snacks, tho--heh--always make sure I use that benefit!

My plan is to update every three years, I figure that justifies the cost. I'll still have my iPhone with me if push comes to shove.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kijug:
jollick (12-29-16), nuraman00 (01-02-17)
Old 01-02-17, 11:21 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kijug
I got the nav update recently and thought I'd share my experience. While phone nav apps work well and are up to date, I prefer the convenience of the built-in nav on the ES. My July 2014 ES came with the [2013-06-01] nav data (i.e., 2013). The nav updates are dated JUNE but are available in OCTOBER. So I went in for my 35K a few days ago and decided to get the nav update after three years...to get the 2016 data. I figured every three years would justify the cost.

The "data sheet" that comes with the nav update they gave me afterwards says over 20% POIs [points of interest] were updated (over 8 million). Over 200,000 miles of new roads, over 50 metro areas have been updated, and hundreds of new subdivisions added. This is all from the last update--in 2015. So to upgrade from three years prior, there has got to be piles 'o updates. So I think it was definitely worth it.

After I updated, the screen looks slightly better. Some more green areas, blue water areas (creeks, etc.), cemetery's. The streets look better drawn. Some places that are "new" in the last few years in the DFW area are all there now. My wife and I will be traveling more and I wanted a newer nav + POIs for everywhere.

So, overall, I'm pleased. The final cost was $169 for the "part" and $98 for labor = $267. And for those who ask, to the best of my research, you used to be able to order the nav update part yourself, but now (as of 2013?) you HAVE to go through a Lexus dealer--i.e., pay the labor cost. $98 is silly for a software update, but that's life in a luxury dealership, I guess. I get a free lunch of drinks and snacks, tho--heh--always make sure I use that benefit!

My plan is to update every three years, I figure that justifies the cost. I'll still have my iPhone with me if push comes to shove.
Thanks for the post.

I hadn't gotten any notifications for this thread until your reply.

I agree I like the built-in nav. I don't want to use my phone for navigation (uses battery; uses data). And I like the screen size of built-in navs.

$267 is a bit much, but there are so many POIs missing, especially in newer retail areas.

How do you get free drinks and snacks?
Old 01-02-17, 11:23 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ratchey
So if I have a 2013 ES 350, does that mean it is a 7th gen and can be updated via USB?
Old 01-02-17, 01:52 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Go here for info: http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what-to-order

I don't recall where I read it, but you USED to be able to update the Nav yourself...perhaps GEN 6 and before. I can't speak for the 2016+ models, I just know they won't let the 2013-2014 ES folks personally updated the Nav. I wonder if it has to do with "doing it wrong" and blaming Lexus for some silly lawsuit or bad traffic or who knows what in our society these days. I don't have a 2015 (obviously!) but don't know where a MicroSD card would be inserted into the car anyway.

Oh, and my Park Place (TX) Lexus dealership offers free drinks (sodas, etc.) and snacks (bagels, apples, nuts, M&Ms, etc.) while you wait--even waiting for free car washes. I make sure to use that each time I go. Heh.
Old 01-02-17, 02:06 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
Thanks for the post.

I hadn't gotten any notifications for this thread until your reply.

I agree I like the built-in nav. I don't want to use my phone for navigation (uses battery; uses data). And I like the screen size of built-in navs.

$267 is a bit much, but there are so many POIs missing, especially in newer retail areas.

How do you get free drinks and snacks?
If you decide to get it done at the dealership, check onlne to see if they have any Service Specials. Usually you can save a few bucks with a coupon or a % off special.

I believe you had to take the car in to the dealer beginning with the 2010 model year. It was the first ES to have a hard drive for the navigation.
Old 01-02-17, 03:01 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kijug
Go here for info: http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what-to-order

I don't recall where I read it, but you USED to be able to update the Nav yourself...perhaps GEN 6 and before. I can't speak for the 2016+ models, I just know they won't let the 2013-2014 ES folks personally updated the Nav. I wonder if it has to do with "doing it wrong" and blaming Lexus for some silly lawsuit or bad traffic or who knows what in our society these days. I don't have a 2015 (obviously!) but don't know where a MicroSD card would be inserted into the car anyway.

Oh, and my Park Place (TX) Lexus dealership offers free drinks (sodas, etc.) and snacks (bagels, apples, nuts, M&Ms, etc.) while you wait--even waiting for free car washes. I make sure to use that each time I go. Heh.
Thanks, I'll ask about snacks and sodas next time.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If you decide to get it done at the dealership, check onlne to see if they have any Service Specials. Usually you can save a few bucks with a coupon or a % off special.

I believe you had to take the car in to the dealer beginning with the 2010 model year. It was the first ES to have a hard drive for the navigation.
Thanks.