IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hit a curb very hard :(((

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-16, 08:45 PM
Fbtiger01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hit a curb very hard :(((

Hi, two days ago I was being an idiot and decided to speed up coming to a round about in the middle of the night. I speed up and ended hitting the curb pretty hard. So here's what happened: I speed up and the rear of the car kicked out and I ended hitting the rear passenger wheel very hard on the curb, it bounced the car hard and then I hit the front wheel of the passenger side the scraped that as well. The rear wheel is all scarped up and has a chip. The curb wasn't high, mostly the tire took it (no damage to the tire) and the edge of the wheels. Not concerned with the wheels at all because I can fix or even replace them.

My main concern is this: After I hit I stopped and look at the car, smelled a bit of tire smoke but that went away. Drove home, the car drove fine; it was not pulling to any side there is no vibration. Took on the highway and did up 100mph same thing. The only thing is that there is a sound from the rear wheel. The sound comes on from 35+ speed, and stays on at highway speeds. The volume of the noise does not seem to increase with the speed. It noise is there on smooth and bumpy roads and I can't really describe it at all. It doesn't sound like scrapping. It sounds something like this: whoop-silent-whoop-silent-whoop-silent, you could describe it as a "wobbling sound" without physical wobbling.

I'm taking to either a dealership or a performance car mechanic that usually fixes BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes as I don't know any real Lexus independent mechanics around me, live in Michigan 30 miles from Downtown Detroit.

But what could be the cause of that issue? I'm scared and sad by this as my old car was a 2007 Honda Accord, and I'm 22 and I bought this car about a month ago with 21,000 miles and I want to fix it and i'm hoping for a best case scenario.
Old 12-04-16, 01:56 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Pull the wheel off and look for anything that looks out of place or damaged. You might have just knocked some plastic out of place or something simple like that.
Old 12-04-16, 07:02 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Sounds like maybe a wheel bearing?
Old 12-04-16, 12:14 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

As i know wheel bearing will sound louder with the speed. He did state that no increase sound with the speed
Old 12-04-16, 03:05 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

I agree with taking out you factory jack, loosen the lug nuts, raise the car, remove the wheel, and examine the area. Possible issues :

1) Damaged/bent wheel
2) Though no visible sidewall damage, the tire might have unseen damage (bubbles/deformation)
3) Wheel liner pulled down hitting something
4) Damaged suspension (bad shock, damaged/bent 4-link arms or LCA)
5) Wheel bearing

We all live and learn; just chalk this one up to being young.
Old 12-04-16, 03:26 PM
jjc250
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably one of the following: knuckle,bearing,or control arm.
Old 12-05-16, 10:39 AM
Fbtiger01
Driver School Candidate

Ok so i jacked up the car, did the whole 6 & 12 and 9 & 3 to see if there is any play. There is not. I also check the components and they look exactly like the opposite side. I wanted to take it to Lexus to have them check and they wanted $140 just to check it -_-

The sound does gets a tiny bit louder in the car at higher speeds. But, if I go over 80mph it is gone, so the sound is about from 35-80 or so mph. But sometimes it disappear in between those speeds and then it comes back.

Is there anyway to make sure it is wheel bearing? Because I think I can replace that at home by replacing the entire wheel hub assembly. But what other symptoms could the car have? Because that is the only symptom the car has, is the sound.
Old 12-05-16, 12:10 PM
Fbtiger01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fbtiger01
Ok so i jacked up the car, did the whole 6 & 12 and 9 & 3 to see if there is any play. There is not. I also check the components and they look exactly like the opposite side. I wanted to take it to Lexus to have them check and they wanted $140 just to check it -_-

The sound does gets a tiny bit louder in the car at higher speeds. But, if I go over 80mph it is gone, so the sound is about from 35-80 or so mph. But sometimes it disappear in between those speeds and then it comes back.

Is there anyway to make sure it is wheel bearing? Because I think I can replace that at home by replacing the entire wheel hub assembly. But what other symptoms could the car have? Because that is the only symptom the car has, is the sound.

actually i don't think it gets louder it just sounds like it is spinning faster because of the increase in speed
Old 12-05-16, 07:45 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

That is the wheel bearing that was broken. To insure its need of replacement, jack up the rear, and pull on the wheel side to side like your trying to wiggle it off, forwards and backwards. There should be no movement.
Old 12-05-16, 07:48 PM
Fbtiger01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400slide
That is the wheel bearing that was broken. To insure its need of replacement, jack up the rear, and pull on the wheel side to side like your trying to wiggle it off, forwards and backwards. There should be no movement.

i did that already, and no movement at all, i went under the car as well and tried to move any peice and nothing moved or made any sound at all. I think whatever sound is coming is from the wheel component
Old 12-05-16, 07:50 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbtiger01
i did that already, and no movement at all, i went under the car as well and tried to move any peice and nothing moved or made any sound at all. I think whatever sound is coming is from the wheel component
I'd replace the bearing first. (after the wheel and tire, of course) Speed dependent noise/grind/whine should be the wheel bearing.
Old 12-14-16, 09:43 AM
Antoniobro
Driver School Candidate

I agree with SC400slide. I'd replace the wheel bearing/wheel hub assembly first and see if that gets rid of the noise/issue. I recently had the same thing happen but I was not speeding, I avoided a car T-Boning me & slammed on the gas & my rear end kicked out, loss traction & slid right towards the curb hard! My Front Passenger Wheel was all curb rashed.. I replaced the wheel hub assembly a week ago & my car is running like a champ now! No noise, no vibration, no pulling to the right. Nada.

Here is a link to my thread I had a little while ago about it:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...mbly-help.html

Hope it helps !
Old 12-14-16, 09:46 AM
Antoniobro
Driver School Candidate

Also check out RockAuto for the Wheel Hub Assembly, thats where I got mine for $160. Brand was MOOG I believe, Timken was reccomended but it was sold out. Part from lexus is 400+. I will say the part looks smaller than original but got it checked out by lexus just to make sure & all is well !
Old 04-23-17, 05:05 PM
Fbtiger01
Driver School Candidate

Default Update!

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies,

Unfortunately I still haven't fixed the issues yet, because the issue didn't get worse. And when I took it to the mechanic he said come back when it gets worse. However, I managed to record a audio clip of the sound, and you will have to use headphones to hear it because it is very faint. The clip was recorded when my friend was sitting on the side that is making the noise and yet it is still faint.

Give it a listen and tell me what you guys think.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
2017_04_22_23_45_38.mp3 (604.1 KB, 170 views)
Old 04-23-17, 05:54 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I could hardly hear anything. I like what all have suggested above. I am assuming it's all stock? So it shouldn't be that difficult but a lil tricky. Take off both rear tires and compare examine. Have you and your friends look over what you may have missed. Check all all bushings, ball joints, control arms, etc. Is it a humming noise? You still could have a bad bearing and obviously not see it but by noise and or pulling on wheel. I'm just trying to think of all possibilities. Oh don't forget to check all bolts. If you have a buddy with the same bolt pattern then switch up wheels. Test drive it. It seems as if the sound is only while driving over 35mph not at slow speeds? So fast movement on flat roads as well? Hhhmmmm. Rear wheel or awd? Shoot maybe it's the wheel that's "warped" or bent making the noise?

Quick Reply: Hit a curb very hard :(((