GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Initial Impressions of the GS-F

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-16, 06:24 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Talking Initial Impressions of the GS-F

Picked up my GS-F yesterday afternoon, came out of a 2014 IS 350 F-Sport.

2016 GS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Circut Red.
Mark Levinson Audio
Orange Calipers

The finance lady would not let me leave without getting the 4 year wheel/tire protection package. She was literally begging and pleading with me. So after an hour of pleading, I finally decided to do 4 years for roughly $2,700. Increased my monthly payment by $44 a month. I live in NY and I guess it'll be worth it for the peace of mind. Has anyone else gotten this as well?

Odo had 149 miles at pick up and I have put 54 miles on the car so far and here are my initial impressions,

Pros
  • The ride is perfect, not too soft but not too stiff. The dampers are set at the perfect setting for comfort and sportiness.
  • The handling is truly impeccable, and on point. Though most of my driving was highway there were some twists and turns and the car feels extremely planted. This was a big concern for me coming from an AWD car to RWD.
  • The interior and technology are great! so many features to play with and learn.
  • That engine. Enough said.
Cons
  • Im a little confused with the infotainment system. My IS had a home button which I customized which allowed me to see the Weather, radio and map all on one screen. Im not liking the setup on this bigger screen. I find myself having maps open on both screens at the same time. The only way I can see so far how to get the weather app up is Info...weather....current weather. still trying to figure out how to set the screen to cater to my wants/needs display wise.
  • No physical A/C button? Am i crazy? or is is somewhere I'm not seeing, all cars I've owned had an A/C button, but on the GS-F you have to do it through the climate control on the screen?
  • No digital clock, Love my analog clock looks nice and classy, but for heavens sake my IS didn't have a digital clock either. The GS F-Sport has a digital clock, why couldn't lexus find place for digital time on the dash on their 87k model?!, unless I'm missing it.
  • Love the Brembos, but now that its cold here, they're a little squeaky, isn't there a TISB about changing to the lesser performance pads that don't squeak and give off less dust?
Still getting accustomed to the car, but overall an amazing purchase and vehicle. If anyone has any other quirks or input please feel free to chime in. Would like this to be a post to help potential and future GS-F owners. .

btw..Loving that new car smell

and sorry... can't figure out why pics are posting sideways...
Attached Thumbnails Initial Impressions of the GS-F-img_0228.jpg   Initial Impressions of the GS-F-img_0229.jpg   Initial Impressions of the GS-F-img_0230.jpg   Initial Impressions of the GS-F-img_0105.jpg   Initial Impressions of the GS-F-img_0108.jpg  

Last edited by CobraGSF; 11-27-16 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-27-16, 07:13 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Congrats, beautiful ride!

--Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 11-27-16, 07:39 PM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the gsf. Welcome to the club
Old 11-27-16, 07:46 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Thank You Josh and IsfClyde!!
Old 11-27-16, 09:57 PM
Bzguy78
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

congrats! And I did not purchase a tire/wheel package knowing I would end up changing the wheels in the future anyway.
Old 11-28-16, 11:57 AM
etomori
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting comments about the $2,700 Wheel/Tire protection plan. It would seem that the comprehensive coverage under the auto insurance should cover it beyond normal wear and tear. Additionally, the tires come with a warranty on a new car. I guess in the Northeast driving conditions are more severe than in California. I got almost 5,000 miles on mine and outside of the slow downshifting and the hard to control joystick, it has been a great ride so far.
Old 11-28-16, 12:04 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Congrats and welcome.

You will figure the nav screen split stuff out along with the little info screen above your brake leg. Analog clock, no luck there. Climate control button setup takes a little getting used to but once you have it figured out and set to auto - it is set it and forget it for all seasons.
Old 11-28-16, 06:35 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by etomori
Interesting comments about the $2,700 Wheel/Tire protection plan. It would seem that the comprehensive coverage under the auto insurance should cover it beyond normal wear and tear. Additionally, the tires come with a warranty on a new car. I guess in the Northeast driving conditions are more severe than in California. I got almost 5,000 miles on mine and outside of the slow downshifting and the hard to control joystick, it has been a great ride so far.
Well the Wheel/Tire Protection Platinum Plus Plan includes unlimited claims for events with no deductibles. This includes replacement of tires and rims (if unable to hold air) and cosmetic repair of rims (from curbing). Plan covers damage caused by conditions defined as eligible road hazards (commonly defined as debris on a public roadway such as nails, glass, potholes, rocks, tree limbs or other objects or conditions not normally found in the roadway). Lexus doesn't repair tires, so they will replace them with every claim. Plan also includes paintless dent repairs and windshield repairs.

$2700 is a lot more than what they charge for non-F Lexus models which runs around $900-1000 for 5 years. I guess the tires and wheels cost significantly more?
Old 11-29-16, 09:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Wheels are typically $1600 a piece for F cars from Lexus. My ISF has 2014 wheels courtesy an owner who decided he didn't want them. Got all four for the price of one wheel.

I passed on the wheel insurance. It's not a good deal here as the roads are not that bad, and the wife has never had a situation where the tire/wheel wouldn't hold air. She just has a fading history of curbing wheels. Her Scion tC had RPF-01s on it, and she bared touched them. It has taken years of training though. She completely destroyed a set of 5Zigen GN+ on that same tC before the Enkeis...
Old 11-30-16, 03:29 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

hmmm... none of these posts sound encouraging. Hopefully i didn't spent $2700 for no reason LOL
Old 11-30-16, 04:16 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by shivad87
hmmm... none of these posts sound encouraging. Hopefully i didn't spent $2700 for no reason LOL
well $2700 seems high.. the finance guy at the dealership I bought my RCF at was very adamant about it as well, I finally settled on it for ~$1,200. So far I have had one tire replaced due to a large nail in the sidewall and the Michelin's are about $400 a pop so that's about 1/3 of the price of the warranty, my wife rashed a wheel which I will be taking in to have repaired under the warranty so that's another couple hundred.

The wheel and tire warranty is one of those pure commission upsells the finance people use, it is really something that most people probably can do without because unless you really go through tires due to road hazards, you will never use it.

I opted for it because my wife has a horrible habit of using the wheels to find curbs.

Last edited by mjeds; 12-01-16 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-30-16, 08:40 PM
etomori
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better Check Tire Prices and Other Prices

For What It is Worth --- Check out the OEM tires, Michelins, at America's Tire and Tire Rack at least to get a real hang as to real prices for the replacement. At America's the price for the sets is $1,347.56 out the door. Prices at Tire Rack look higher when you add delivery, mounting and balancing to the equation. Some of the additional "warranty" coverages may be expensive and unnecessary if you already have collision and comprehensive coverage under your automobile insurance. The most dangerous part in buying/leasing a vehicle is the finance person or the closer. The "warranty" coverage are pure gravy to the Stealership. If I am going to buy anything, it would be the long term warranty, which actually takes effect after the expiration of the original warranty on the vehicle. You got to see and stay clear of the "smoke and mirrors" when you are in the closing phase of the purchase or lease of the vehicle. I always offer to buy the extended coverage at 25% of the price that the dealer wants.
Old 12-04-16, 04:36 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I purchased wheel protection for my wife and she has been through 2 wheels and 4 tires in 6 months.. Well worth it saved my a%%.
Old 12-05-16, 12:23 PM
CalboyF
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Initial impression? Other than the car is just a blast to drive, I have to say within two days of purchasing the car I have already encountered 1 BMW 550i, 1 WRX, 1 Cadillac V, 2 135i, and 1 335i trying to either cut me off on HWY, or intending to race me....this is insane....
Old 12-05-16, 01:57 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I have had mine for 3 months now as a my dd and I have not had any of that. Maybe it is because they can see how freaking old I am behind my dark tinted windows.

Quick Reply: Initial Impressions of the GS-F