IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus dealership left off the oil cap...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-16, 05:03 PM
mikedtrd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus dealership left off the oil cap...

Took my car to the local dealership, Lexus of London in Ontario, (about an hour away) on November 18th to get an oil change before putting it away for the winter. While taking it for one last drive today (first time driving it since my oil change) to get the fuel stabilizer through the fuel system I smelt oil burning so decided to check to see if it was indeed my car that was giving off the smell. And this is what I find... (you can see where they left the oil cap by the hood latch)

Name:  20161127_172909.jpg
Views: 1767
Size:  423.0 KB

Name:  20161127_172918.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  514.0 KB

Name:  20161127_173051.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  434.3 KB

Name:  20161127_172927.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  437.0 KB

Name:  20161127_173156.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  231.2 KB

I checked the dip stick right away and of course don't even see an oil level. I'll be calling up the service manager tomorrow morning to tear a strip off of them and to find out what they'll do about their mistake. I was surprised a check engine light didn't turn on considering there should've been low oil pressure without the oil cap. Sure hope no damage was done.

Btw, it's a 2012 with just over 16,000km (about 10,000 miles) and I drove about 100 kms (60 miles) home from the dealership.

I'll let you guys know what the dealership says...
The following users liked this post:
adamrihan0 (03-27-24)
Old 11-27-16, 05:14 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The oil cap has nothing to do with oil pressure and the photo you posted the oil level looks to be acceptable. Don't get me wrong I would be angry as hell and I would make them detail the engine bay for sure. hopefully they offer to take care of you with some additional perks.

Edit I looked again, it's hard to tell if it's the oil level or the glare but on fresh oil it's hard to see the level anyway. I usually run my finger along the dipstick to tell where the level is on a fresh change.
Old 11-27-16, 05:27 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Sucks and sorry to hear and see that. On the other hand, the oil level doesn't look low and if they did indeed fill it up with oil, there's no way you spilled enough oil in the drive back home and your one drive out to be low. Definitely don't think any damage was done.
Of course a free oil change and engine bay cleaning should be offered, at minimal.
Good luck! Also, don't go in too angry, really believe it was an honest mistake and they'll take care if you. Going in too hot headed can ruin your relationship with them (sometimes) and can (sometimes) make people not go the extra mile to satisfy you. Only get hot headed if they don't own up to it or refuse to make it right👍

V.
Old 11-27-16, 05:46 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Bummer. I'd be upset.

TBH I've done that before. Not on my F though.
Old 11-27-16, 05:50 PM
mikedtrd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sylvan
The oil cap has nothing to do with oil pressure and the photo you posted the oil level looks to be acceptable. Don't get me wrong I would be angry as hell and I would make them detail the engine bay for sure. hopefully they offer to take care of you with some additional perks.

Edit I looked again, it's hard to tell if it's the oil level or the glare but on fresh oil it's hard to see the level anyway. I usually run my finger along the dipstick to tell where the level is on a fresh change.
Thanks for bringing up the oil level. I didn't notice a level when I looked at it quickly in the dark but just checked it in the garage and there's more than enough... they must've over filled it. (you can see the faint line well above the full dot)

Name:  20161127_203308.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  177.3 KB
Old 11-27-16, 05:54 PM
mikedtrd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Sucks and sorry to hear and see that. On the other hand, the oil level doesn't look low and if they did indeed fill it up with oil, there's no way you spilled enough oil in the drive back home and your one drive out to be low. Definitely don't think any damage was done.
Of course a free oil change and engine bay cleaning should be offered, at minimal.
Good luck! Also, don't go in too angry, really believe it was an honest mistake and they'll take care if you. Going in too hot headed can ruin your relationship with them (sometimes) and can (sometimes) make people not go the extra mile to satisfy you. Only get hot headed if they don't own up to it or refuse to make it right👍

V.
Now that I've realized there's more than enough oil I'm much less angry lol. Thanks for the advice, ya hope they'll at least clean up their mess and a free oil change would be nice too
Old 11-27-16, 07:44 PM
goooose
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Advice from a fellow Londoner...stay away from Lexus of London. I have had friends with bad experiences and I've had a poor experience there myself. I take my cars elsewhere now and I recommend you do the same. I give this same advice to anyone I know who owns a Lexus in the London area.
Old 11-27-16, 11:54 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

That's complete BS! Even places like Jiffy Lube fire up the engine with the hood open to make sure there are no leaks and the caps are all on... Was this amateur night? I would never go to that dealership again for anything. Not even for warranty work and I certainly wouldn't buy a car from them. Pathetic...
Old 11-28-16, 02:17 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by goooose
Advice from a fellow Londoner...stay away from Lexus of London. I have had friends with bad experiences and I've had a poor experience there myself. I take my cars elsewhere now and I recommend you do the same. I give this same advice to anyone I know who owns a Lexus in the London area.
^This ^. I bought my IS250 from them and had them install F-Sport brakes at that time. Never again, nothing but issues.
When it comes to my F im the only one that touches it, posts like this really validate why.
Im glad your oil level wasnt affected, and no permanant damage. Good luck getting this situation rectified.
-R
Old 11-29-16, 11:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

That engine sucked a whole bunch of unfiltered air through the open oil fill cap. I would be pissed beyond belief.
Old 11-30-16, 04:42 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Mike this hurts my eyes especially that both me an my bro in law service our F's there. ****ty part is that's the only closest Lexus dealer for us , Kitchener is next but thats another 1hr drive and 2hrs for you. I just had my oil done there on 28th. Now ill be opening up my hood and checking over. My buddy works there so I request for him to do my oil change on my car. I think theyre using low pay rookie apprentices
Old 11-30-16, 09:25 AM
AlexSweISF
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Overfilled is almost just as bad because it causes unwanted pressure on all the seals. saying I'd be pissed is an understatement.

Edit: Maybe not in this case since they forgot putting the cap back on but otherwise... tragic.
Old 11-30-16, 11:56 AM
mikedtrd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Davew77
That's complete BS! Even places like Jiffy Lube fire up the engine with the hood open to make sure there are no leaks and the caps are all on... Was this amateur night? I would never go to that dealership again for anything. Not even for warranty work and I certainly wouldn't buy a car from them. Pathetic...
Ya I think from now on I'll just go to my local Toyota dealership for oil changes since in the past they've gotten their master techs to work on the car just to make sure everything's done properly.

Originally Posted by goooose
Originally Posted by FNSSESPORT
^This ^. I bought my IS250 from them and had them install F-Sport brakes at that time. Never again, nothing but issues.
When it comes to my F im the only one that touches it, posts like this really validate why.
Im glad your oil level wasnt affected, and no permanant damage. Good luck getting this situation rectified.
-R
Jeez didn't realize others have had bad experiences with the London Lexus dealership... thanks for sharing.
Old 11-30-16, 11:56 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That engine sucked a whole bunch of unfiltered air through the open oil fill cap. I would be pissed beyond belief.
How bad is that for the engine? Genuinely curious if it will have a meaningful difference on the engines lifespan.
Old 11-30-16, 12:01 PM
mikedtrd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Originally Posted by AlexSweISF
Overfilled is almost just as bad because it causes unwanted pressure on all the seals. saying I'd be pissed is an understatement.

Edit: Maybe not in this case since they forgot putting the cap back on but otherwise... tragic.
Hoping there wasn't any damage done as the car was only driven for an hour.

Quick Reply: Lexus dealership left off the oil cap...