LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What's a mint condition '97 worth?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-16, 04:05 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What's a mint condition '97 worth?

I was looking for something newer, but this one really caught my eye.

One family since new. Car has 102K on it and spent its life in Arizona until about 2010.

Dealer maintained; I ran the VIN on the Lexus drivers site.

Recently spent a small fortune on the front end plus a starter.

Was his late father's car and wasn't aware about the 90K service.

Owner said he understands the importance of getting the service done.

Before the TB/WP service issue came up, price was $4800 firm.

What's a car like this worth after the TB/WP is changed?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails What's a mint condition '97 worth?-image.jpeg  
Old 11-26-16, 04:16 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

One more...
Old 11-26-16, 05:17 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

All factory everything? No non lexus parts on it? Whats the glass like? No scratches and or dents? Under the hood no scratches or dents? Ultra perfection? If I was looking for that year the price would be okay if all is perfect.
Old 11-26-16, 05:19 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

One thing though it looks like it could be a no option or very low option car. No heated seats, no trac, I don't know what options were offered in that year.
Old 11-26-16, 05:37 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Very few have heated seats and trac between 95-97. I see them very rarely. That looks like a gem and I would pay that price if I was in the market for a jam up LS400. That is probably my least favorite color but condition always wins to me.

That also appears to be a Coach Edition. Very desirable in good condition. Check next to the LS400 badge for the Coach Edition emblem. Buy it and only use genuine parts on it!
Old 11-26-16, 06:32 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dicer
All factory everything? No non lexus parts on it? Whats the glass like? No scratches and or dents? Under the hood no scratches or dents? Ultra perfection? If I was looking for that year the price would be okay if all is perfect.
Right, no non-Lexus parts on it. Car is an out of state car. Need more pics and an inspection to see if its as nice as it appears to be.

Originally Posted by Banshee365
Very few have heated seats and trac between 95-97. I see them very rarely. That looks like a gem and I would pay that price if I was in the market for a jam up LS400. That is probably my least favorite color but condition always wins to me.

That also appears to be a Coach Edition. Very desirable in good condition. Check next to the LS400 badge for the Coach Edition emblem. Buy it and only use genuine parts on it!
It is not my favorite color either. Good point, condition wins out.

No Coach Edition badge next to the LS400 badge.

Last edited by wnyjazz; 11-26-16 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-26-16, 07:31 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

That is certainly a Coach Edition car now that I have seen more of the interior.

a few things give it away. The wheels. The shift ****. The perforated inserts on the seats. And you can even vaguely see the Coach logo on the side of the center armrest.

Last edited by Banshee365; 11-26-16 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-26-16, 10:35 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Looks pretty clean. As Banshee365 mentions it is a Coach Ed. Is that a tear in the leather on the driver side? $4,800 is acceptable.
Old 11-26-16, 11:34 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

I was going to estimate $5k; it's in excellent condition. I see a small tear on the left-hand side of the driver's seat, but that's about the same or worse on all other examples. Mileage, maintenance, and condition are all good signs. If he will go down to $4500, I would take it (if I was in the market ). Looks like a great deal.

If you can do the timing belt job on your own, it will only cost around $200 and will take about a day. A dealer will charge you and arm and a leg for it.
Old 11-27-16, 12:00 AM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Banshee365
That is certainly a Coach Edition car now that I have seen more of the interior.

a few things give it away. The wheels. The shift ****. The perforated inserts on the seats. And you can even vaguely see the Coach logo on the side of the center armrest.
Originally Posted by CELSI0R
I was going to estimate $5k; it's in excellent condition. I see a small tear on the left-hand side of the driver's seat, but that's about the same or worse on all other examples. Mileage, maintenance, and condition are all good signs. If he will go down to $4500, I would take it (if I was in the market ). Looks like a great deal.

If you can do the timing belt job on your own, it will only cost around $200 and will take about a day. A dealer will charge you and arm and a leg for it.
Originally Posted by RA40
Looks pretty clean. As Banshee365 mentions it is a Coach Ed. Is that a tear in the leather on the driver side? $4,800 is acceptable.
Thanks guys.

I didn't see the tear(?) Maybe I just don't want to.

My '94 came with TRAC and heated seats, but it was an orginal northeast delivered car.

This car as new was delivered in AZ.
Old 11-27-16, 07:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Looks like a really nice one.

As far as heated seats and TRAC/VSC, a lot of it depends on region. Even more highly optioned cars (such as Coach editions) if they were sold in a southern or other warm weather region they lacked those features.
Old 11-27-16, 10:40 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

And Banshee that is the kind of car you need. With all the wasted time and such on your swapping interiors etc. here you could have 10 times the car for less cost.
Old 11-27-16, 07:43 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

And Banshee that is the kind of car you need. With all the wasted time and such on your swapping interiors etc. here you could have 10 times the car for less cost.
I'm sorry that you see it so differently. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I bought one for $800 and another for $500. I'm not sure how that's is more expensive than $4,800. Unfortunately one got totaled so I'm sort of stuck with the current situation. I thoroughly enjoy tinkering on cars, so no time is considered 'wasted' with me. The end result will be more than worth it for me. If I were looking to spend nearly $5,000 I would be all over a car like this. I wasn't even in the market for another car as we have 2 other vehicles but bought them for some fun projects that I will get a nice car out of.
Old 11-28-16, 03:08 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

If you where paying to have the work done, or your time is valued at, at least 30 per hour your paying more than what you think. And if you were a mechanic and not a pilot you wouldn't be calling them fun projects. You know like a postman taking a walk on his day off. So how often do you do the fun flying job for free?
Old 11-28-16, 05:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

If you where paying to have the work done, or your time is valued at, at least 30 per hour your paying more than what you think. And if you were a mechanic and not a pilot you wouldn't be calling them fun projects. You know like a postman taking a walk on his day off. So how often do you do the fun flying job for free?
But what does that matter if he personally enjoys doing the work?

And plenty of pilots enjoy flying for leisure when they're not working.

Quick Reply: What's a mint condition '97 worth?