NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Winter Tires+Wheels Size

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 08:56 AM
nx2016
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX Winter Tires+Wheels Size

Does the 17" wheels work in the 2016 NX F-Sport (from Canada) or not? I've read somewhere in this forum it doesn't fit because of the AVS? Just wondering if that is correct or not

Looking for wheels+winter tires package
Old 11-23-16, 11:23 AM
batchelor
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I inquired about the same thing and was told that there is no issue using a 17" wheel for our Canadian NX F-Sport's, that being said, I did end up using an 18" factory wheel for my winter tires.
Old 11-23-16, 12:55 PM
fishcak3s
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by batchelor
I inquired about the same thing and was told that there is no issue using a 17" wheel for our Canadian NX F-Sport's, that being said, I did end up using an 18" factory wheel for my winter tires.
Did you have the factory TPMS installed along with your 18" factory wheels?

I'm thinking on putting aftermarket 17's in for my winter tires but I'm not sure if I want to put in a set of TPMS and have them synced at the dealer. What will happen to the TPMS? Will it blink continuously or will it just comes on and stay?

I don't want to put in an aftermarket set and have the "TPMS blink/alarm" drive me crazy.
Old 11-23-16, 01:12 PM
batchelor
Pole Position

Yes, the package came with the factory TPMS in the wheels. Simple reset at Kal Tire when I had them switched over, shows the tire pressure perfectly.

I am not sure, what the light will do, in my former vehicles, it would blink upon start up and then turn to a solid light after a few minutes. Not sure about this one though.
Old 11-27-16, 02:32 PM
Jimsathome
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool I've been researching a lot on Rims & Snow Tires for the NX-200t

Hi nx2016,
We've just purchased a 2017 NX-200t Luxury (That's what the Dealer calls the package) and I've been researching the snow tires for it , along with rims since before we bought it. I checked with Open Road Lexus, Jim Patterson Lexus, and Regency Lexus; and all of them said putting on 17 inch Rims with winter tires fits all 2017 NX-200t models. I called Jim Patterson Lexus Parts & Service, and the same TPMS Lexus Part # 42607-30060 fits all NX-200ts for 2015=>2017. (I also found on the Lexus Parts Canada site, they said the same for 2015 & 2016 http://www.lexuspartsdirect.ca/Lexus...and-Wheel.html )

In my humble opinion, the best snow Tires for us seem to be the Michelin X-ICE Xi2, or the Continental Winter Contact SI. The later are on a great sale at Canadian Tire, and the former on sale at Costco. (Note the most logical reason I can find that Michelin offers only the Xi2 and Xi3 is that there is no Xi3 version I can find at the stock 17 inch size 225/65r17.) I'm leaning towards the Xi2 as they have a 60,000 KM / 40,000 mile warranty and are a little quieter. Going to a lower profile Snow Tire and related Rim (18 inch Rims) simply doesn't make sense to me. It adds extra cost for no benefit.

I am seriously toying with the idea of actually buying a set on line, with Rims (possibly RWC LX95 see http://www.rwcwheels.com/en/site/col...ues/lexus/lx95) at PMCTire https://pmctire.com/en/ . If you buy these Tires and Rims PMCTire will mount them for free, and install 4 x TPMS Valves programed to your vehicle for $207.96. So basically, they arrive complete ready to bolt on with no adapters, and even use the stock Lexus wheel lug nuts. (So I was told by an OK Tire Dealer near home. He sells the RWC LX95 rims but only the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 snows. They are good tires but I think the other two are a little better for our use.

I'm a bit concerned about damage in shipping cross country from PMCTire (they are in Quebec & we are in BC), and also what do I do if something goes wrong; so I'm still undecided. Of course if there is some special Cyber Monday deal out there, that may help change my mind...
Old 11-27-16, 02:55 PM
batchelor
Pole Position

Those look pretty good.

I am sure shipping would be okay, many companies work exclusively that way.

I would be more concerned about warranty and ongoing service, which is usually why in the past I have gone with packages from my local tireseller, but if your local tireseller will support the service, probably worth going for.

Good luck!
Old 11-27-16, 06:04 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimsathome
Hi nx2016,
We've just purchased a 2017 NX-200t Luxury (That's what the Dealer calls the package) and I've been researching the snow tires for it , along with rims since before we bought it. I checked with Open Road Lexus, Jim Patterson Lexus, and Regency Lexus; and all of them said putting on 17 inch Rims with winter tires fits all 2017 NX-200t models. I called Jim Patterson Lexus Parts & Service, and the same TPMS Lexus Part # 42607-30060 fits all NX-200ts for 2015=>2017. (I also found on the Lexus Parts Canada site, they said the same for 2015 & 2016 http://www.lexuspartsdirect.ca/Lexus...and-Wheel.html )

In my humble opinion, the best snow Tires for us seem to be the Michelin X-ICE Xi2, or the Continental Winter Contact SI. The later are on a great sale at Canadian Tire, and the former on sale at Costco. (Note the most logical reason I can find that Michelin offers only the Xi2 and Xi3 is that there is no Xi3 version I can find at the stock 17 inch size 225/65r17.) I'm leaning towards the Xi2 as they have a 60,000 KM / 40,000 mile warranty and are a little quieter. Going to a lower profile Snow Tire and related Rim (18 inch Rims) simply doesn't make sense to me. It adds extra cost for no benefit.

I am seriously toying with the idea of actually buying a set on line, with Rims (possibly RWC LX95 see http://www.rwcwheels.com/en/site/col...ues/lexus/lx95) at PMCTire https://pmctire.com/en/ . If you buy these Tires and Rims PMCTire will mount them for free, and install 4 x TPMS Valves programed to your vehicle for $207.96. So basically, they arrive complete ready to bolt on with no adapters, and even use the stock Lexus wheel lug nuts. (So I was told by an OK Tire Dealer near home. He sells the RWC LX95 rims but only the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 snows. They are good tires but I think the other two are a little better for our use.

I'm a bit concerned about damage in shipping cross country from PMCTire (they are in Quebec & we are in BC), and also what do I do if something goes wrong; so I'm still undecided. Of course if there is some special Cyber Monday deal out there, that may help change my mind...
I just got my winter set for my A4 from PMCtire. Excellent price and don't worry about packaging.Rims are bubble-wrapped and sheeted with cardboard, then tightly strapped.

As for the lack of TMPS sensors, you'll get a blinking then solid indicator on the dash. It's how mine is last winter and now this one.
Old 11-27-16, 09:31 PM
Jimsathome
Driver

Thanks for the info CorradoMR2. Please confirm if you bought the TMPS option and they don't work or you decided not to bother with them.

Thanks for the assist.
Old 11-28-16, 06:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimsathome
Thanks for the info CorradoMR2. Please confirm if you bought the TMPS option and they don't work or you decided not to bother with them.

Thanks for the assist.
You're welcome. I didn't buy the TPMS. If you do ($300), you'll have to program them and the original set every time you swap. Lexus (~75$) or DIY via Carista or other similar tools.
Old 11-28-16, 08:09 PM
nx2016
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the detailed reply Jimsathome.

I'm currently debating whether to just get cheap steel wheels from Costco ( or winter time) paired with the Michelin winter tires or just spend a bit more and grab alloys. Unsure how car performance/handling/safety works with steel vs alloy winter wheels. As far as I know the steel is heavier and rust...but will rust make the car unsafe after a few winters? I'm gonna research a bit more and make my decision.

Feel free to comment as I don't know much about cars!
Old 11-28-16, 09:44 PM
Jimsathome
Driver

Gents,

I just posted this in another thread but thought it worthwhile for you to read it too. I didn't read corradoMR2s reply until just now. (Sorry) My wife would not tolerate no TMPS if that means a warning light blinking at her 4-5 months of the year.

nc2016 - Steel Wheels will rust over time, and you've probably got some Salty Slush to deal with in Ontario from time to time that may accelerate it. (Snow is somewhat rare here in Metro Vancouver, and if it occurs it typically lasts only a couple of days and Salting is also rare.) We run Steel Rims on my 2 sons cars with no issue. One of them will be it's 8th year with the same rims and the other 6. But you should check with somebody who lives in your climate.

"Got a new wrinkle tossed my way today. I'm trying not to spend $3+K => that's what Jim Patterson Lexus came back with as a quote for Snows on Lexus Rims with TMPS and Taxes => all included. Regency Lexus said $2,300 (I don't know if that was all in.) which I still found pricey.

The new wrinkle was when I talked to a Tech at PMC Tire, he advised all Lexus (and Toyotas and Scions for that matter) controls can only "pair" with 4 TMPS units at a time. So if they supply a complete set (all in as above) the NX-200t would have to have it's controls reset using a Bartec Tool every time I switch tires. (Spring & Fall). Now that would be a pain in butt. He did say it was possible to "clone" the settings of the existing sensors onto the new ones they'd provide, but they are in Quebec and those sensors are here on the car in BC.

The Rims I like so far are direct bolt on ones from RWC (Models LX 95 or LX69) as they use the stock Lug Nuts with no adapters of any kind. I'm leaning towards Michelin X-Ice i2s with Continental Winter Contact SI Tires a close second. The problem is the only one who has either with the RWC Rims is thousands of miles away.

I talked to a Costco Tire Tech who said I could provide my own rims, and they'd supply their generic TMPS ( #7002A) with the Michelin X-Ice i2s; and every Spring & Fall they'd pair them with the Car for free. He said their generic ones have their own address built it (he called it an IP address ) and they can't be cloned over. He did say if I'd supply my own TMPS units they'd charge me a bit more. There were 4 people in line behind me and I had to get back to work so I for got to ask if they could Clone the existing onto Lexus Units (#420607-30060).

I wonder if I could buy the RIMS and TMPS units from PMC Tire and have Costco put it together and onto the Car. That may work out and give me a local service point for the tires if anything goes wrong later."
Old 11-28-16, 10:06 PM
batchelor
Pole Position

I am not understanding the issue here. Every set of winter wheels required TPMS reset at each change. Used to be expensive through the dealer but now most tire shops have the tool and reset as part of the wheel changeover. My switch cost me $40 to change the wheeels and reset the TPMS. Seems pretty reasonable.
Old 11-28-16, 10:19 PM
Jimsathome
Driver

I'm a bit old school and do this myself inside our garage. For ages I use the opportunity of these tire swaps to inspect the Brakes, Shocks, etc., and get a feel for how the car is aging. I don't do much mechanical work anymore, but still change the odd Cabin or Air Filter, wiper blades, etc., => simple stuff. Seems a shame to let this too go to others; as I can usually do it in an hour and it takes longer than that to drive back and forth to pay someone else to do it.
Old 11-28-16, 10:20 PM
Jimsathome
Driver

Cool

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I just got my winter set for my A4 from PMCtire. Excellent price and don't worry about packaging.Rims are bubble-wrapped and sheeted with cardboard, then tightly strapped.

As for the lack of TMPS sensors, you'll get a blinking then solid indicator on the dash. It's how mine is last winter and now this one.
I like your Rims. Can you tell me what they are?

Thanks.
Old 11-29-16, 12:39 PM
batchelor
Pole Position

I see, yes nice to be able to do some basic work at home if possible.

Quick Reply: NX Winter Tires+Wheels Size