GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Need Some Advice - Bought a L/Certified (CPO) GS350 With Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 05:58 AM
jlin7
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Need Some Advice - Bought a L/Certified (CPO) GS350 With Issues

I've just recently bought a L/Certified (CPO) GS350 from a Lexus dealership and so far I've encountered several issues with the car.

At this point, it's not possible for me to deal with the Lexus dealership that I've purchased the car from because they are located hours away. And I've already dealt with them to fix couple of the minor issues, they’ll either just do a rush job and then the problems end up still being there, or they'll forget to fix it. So I'm choosing to not work with them anymore.

The major issue, which I've just discovered, is the rain and humidity sensors located on the behind windshield are not working and doesn't seat onto the windshield properly. I believe it's probably due to the fact that the windshield has been replaced with a aftermarket one by either the previous owner or the dealership, so the sensors don't latch onto the windshield as well as should likeon a factory windshields, also the reinstallation of the sensors may have handled incorrectly, causing the sensors to no longer work when it rain. I'm estimating that to get the entire situation fixed properly may involve getting new humidity and rain sensors and a factory windshield.

I bought a L/Certified car because I was under the impression that it should have went through a long list fine inspections to make sure everything is right and works, and if anything is not working right it should be covered under warranty. But I'm really not sure if this windshield and sensors issue is covered under warranty and so that I can just bring the car into a dealership near me because a aftermarket windshield is involved, and it was put in before I bought the car.

Any advice on what I should do at this point?

Last edited by jlin7; 11-21-16 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-21-16, 08:45 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jlin7
I've just recently bought a L/Certified (CPO) GS350 from a Lexus dealership and so far I've encountered several issues with the car.

At this point, it's not possible for me to deal with the Lexus dealership that I've purchased the car from because they are located hours away. And I've already dealt with them to fix couple of the minor issues, they’ll either just do a rush job and then the problems end up still being there, or they'll forget to fix it.

The major issue, which I've just discovered, is the rain and humidity sensors located on the behind windshield are not working and doesn't seat onto the windshield properly. I believe it's probably due to the fact that the windshield has been replaced with a aftermarket one by either the previous owner or the dealership, so the sensors don't latch onto the windshield as well as should likeon a factory windshields, also the reinstallation of the sensors may have handled incorrectly, causing the sensors to no longer work when it rain. I'm estimating that to get the entire situation fixed properly may involve getting new humidity and rain sensors and a factory windshield.

I bought a L/Certified car because I was under the impression that it should have went through a long list fine inspections to make sure everything is right and works, and if anything is not working right it should be covered under warranty. But I'm really not sure if this windshield and sensors issue is covered under warranty and so that I can just bring the car into a dealership near me because a aftermarket windshield is involved, and it was put in before I bought the car.

Any advice on what I should do at this point?
You can bring it to any Lexus dealership, nationwide.
Old 11-21-16, 08:55 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,416 Posts

A CPO vehicle is a vehicle that the manufacturer (not a dealership) has certified to be in good condition. Manufacturers back up their CPO vehicles with a warranty that can be as good, or even better, than some new car warranties. Although the cars are sold by dealers, and even though the dealer’s service department does the required CPO inspection for the manufacturer, a CPO vehicle can be brought to any of the brand’s dealerships for warranty coverage. In other words, the cars are backed up by the brand (Lexus), not just the dealer that sells you the CPO car.

I would take the car to your local Lexus dealership and explain what your problem(s) and your beliefs to be. Keep in mind that your local Lexus dealer may have to deal with the selling Lexus dealer (located hours away) to work-out the details...because the selling dealer may have been at fault for overlooking something, or doing something, that they (the selling dealer) will ultimately have to pay the local dealer for in order to correct the problem and to make your purchase right and whole. I would suggest that you resist any request that may come your way for you to take the vehicle into the selling Lexus dealer (located hours away) to have them perform the inspection or work...since the car is under Lexus warranty, not dealer warranty. However, if possible, it is always best to purchase a CPO from your local dealer...

All that said, you did not say how long ago you purchased the vehicle. You also said something that stands out to me, which was; "it's not possible for me to deal with the Lexus dealership that I've purchased the car from...". This gives me the impression that you and the selling Lexus dealer may be 'at odds' with one another over something. Keep in mind that if there is an ongoing problem with you, this may throw a monkey wrench into the willingness of your selling Lexus dealer to work with your local Lexus dealer, and visa-versa. Lastly, if you are responsible or the cause of the windshield or windshield sensor problem(s) this will almost certainly be discovered, and be noted accordingly.
Old 11-21-16, 09:17 AM
jlin7
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus
A CPO vehicle is a vehicle that the manufacturer (not a dealership) has certified to be in good condition. Manufacturers back up their CPO vehicles with a warranty that can be as good, or even better, than some new car warranties. Although the cars are sold by dealers, and even though the dealer’s service department does the required CPO inspection for the manufacturer, a CPO vehicle can be brought to any of the brand’s dealerships for warranty coverage. In other words, the cars are backed up by the brand (Lexus), not just the dealer that sells you the CPO car.

I would take the car to your local Lexus dealership and explain what your problem(s) and your beliefs to be. Keep in mind that your local Lexus dealer may have to deal with the selling Lexus dealer (located hours away) to work-out the details...because the selling dealer may have been at fault for overlooking something, or doing something, that they (the selling dealer) will ultimately have to pay the local dealer for in order to correct the problem and to make your purchase right and whole. I would suggest that you resist any request that may come your way for you to take the vehicle into the selling Lexus dealer (located hours away) to have them perform the inspection or work...since the car is under Lexus warranty, not dealer warranty. However, if possible, it is always best to purchase a CPO from your local dealer...

All that said, you did not say how long ago you purchased the vehicle. You also said something that stands out to me, which was; "it's not possible for me to deal with the Lexus dealership that I've purchased the car from...". This gives me the impression that you and the selling Lexus dealer may be 'at odds' with one another over something. Keep in mind that if there is an ongoing problem with you, this may throw a monkey wrench into the willingness of your selling Lexus dealer to work with your local Lexus dealer, and visa-versa. Lastly, if you are responsible or the cause of the windshield or windshield sensor problem(s) this will almost certainly be discovered, and be noted accordingly.

Thanks for your comment. The car was purchase early this month. What I've meant by "not possible for me to deal with..." is that the selling dealer is so far away and plus they have not done a good job my addressing other minor issues properly, therefore I do not want to risk anymore extensive time and mileage dealing with a dealership that I'm not confident in regarding any further issues with the car. That's why I didn't even bother bringing up this windshield and sensors issue to their attention after I've discovered it.
Old 11-21-16, 10:00 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Not trying to jack the thread but are wheel bearings covered by the Lexus CPO warranty?
Old 11-21-16, 10:04 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for your comment. The car was purchase early this month. What I've meant by "not possible for me to deal with..." is that the selling dealer is so far away and plus they have not done a good job my addressing other minor issues properly, therefore I do not want to risk anymore extensive time and mileage dealing with a dealership that I'm not confident in regarding any further issues with the car. That's why I didn't even bother bringing up this windshield and sensors issue to their attention after I've discovered it.
You're very welcome.

Does your windshield have the Lexus name on the lower driver's side corner indicating that it is OE, or an OE brand specific replacement?
Old 11-21-16, 10:32 AM
jlin7
Rookie

You're very welcome.

Does your windshield have the Lexus name on the lower driver's side corner indicating that it is OE, or an OE brand specific replacement?
No it does not have "Lexus" printed on the corner. That's how I've discovered the windshield has been previously replaced and so it's probably the curprit of why the senors couldn't latch properly onto the aftermarket windshield and why the rain sensor is not working.
Old 11-21-16, 10:41 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

No it does not have "Lexus" printed on the corner. That's how I've discovered the windshield has been previously replaced and so it's probably the curprit of why the senors couldn't latch properly onto the aftermarket windshield and why the rain sensor is not working.

Can it be CPO'd if the windshield is not OEM?
Old 11-21-16, 10:45 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

This is an interesting topic - one that everyone should be interested in learning the outcome.

Please keep us abreast of how Lexus, and your dealership of-choice, handles this issue.

PS - It should most definitely not be your responsibility to deal with the installer (e.g. Safelite, etc.) of the aftermarket windshield that the previous owner/lessee had installed.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-21-16 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-21-16, 11:21 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Can it be CPO'd if the windshield is not OEM?
Yes...

Most people do not realize it, but vehicles can pass the car-maker's CPO standard even after being in an accident and having multiple panels (e.g. doors, quarter-panels, etc.) repaired and re-painted. However, most luxury car-maker's dealerships will elect to auction-off such vehicles instead of offering them as CPO.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-21-16 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-21-16, 12:06 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

If I would be you I'll make the list of issues and take it to the dealer whenever I can.
Old 11-21-16, 12:16 PM
jlin7
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
If I would be you I'll make the list of issues and take it to the dealer whenever I can.
You mean any Lexus dealer or the selling dealer? If it's the selling dealer, it's way too far.
Old 11-21-16, 01:52 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

This happened to a previous Lexus I had, The company installed a windshield that wasn't rain sensing compatible. Apparently Lexus has a windshield that is rain sensing compatible and a different one for those without it. Both were OEM windshields btw.
Old 11-21-16, 05:11 PM
jlin7
Rookie

This is an interesting topic - one that everyone should be interested in learning the outcome.

Please keep us abreast of how Lexus, and your dealership of-choice, handles this issue.

PS - It should most definitely not be your responsibility to deal with the installer (e.g. Safelite, etc.) of the aftermarket windshield that the previous owner/lessee had installed.
So I've contacted several local Lexus dealerships around me, they all said they can't replace that aftermarket windshield under warranty even if the car is L/Certified. So then I've contacted the Lexus corporate office and explained to them the situation. They asked me to go get a inspection at one of my local dealerships and then after the inspection, provide them with the dealership's info. Not sure what's going to happen from there.

Last edited by jlin7; 11-21-16 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-21-16, 05:36 PM
Blitz_IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might check to see if the rain sensor itself is missing the gel piece. Usually there's a gel pad / piece that goes in between the sensor and the windshield itself.

Quick Reply: Need Some Advice - Bought a L/Certified (CPO) GS350 With Issues