Rear Main Seal Leak @ 77k miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-16, 03:16 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rear Main Seal Leak @ 77k miles

Edit 4

Found out I have a leak at the upper oil pan... which means this problem is unrelated to the work previously performed on the rear main seal...
It also means that this leak isn't being covered by the warranty over work performed on the main seal.

My total out of pocket cost is ~1.2k, and this is supposedly after significant help from corp.
I'm still trying to see if corp. can help some more, but we'll see.

I guess its bad luck on my part that this happened 9k after the powertrain warranty ended, but considering the amount of help corporate has already given for the main seal leak, I guess I can't really complain too much.

Edit 3 - 1-22-17
Spoke too soon, the leak is back after less than two months!
I really hope the dealer can get this squared away. Luckily their work is warrantied for a year.
I'm really hoping the leak isn't from the same source and instead from a different source, or else it means the mechanic that worked on my car might've messed something up on the repair, which isn't great peace of mind.

Edit 2 - Final Update - 12-02-16
After an agonizing week and a half of waiting and driving a CT200h, my car is finally done!
It was determined that the oil leak was caused by the rear main seal. No other issues were found during the diagnostic.

The best news of all is that despite being 7k miles over the powertrain warranty, corporate and the dealer (Longo Lexus) decided to cover 100% of the cost to diagnose and fixed the problem, in addition to covering the cost of parts.
I wasn't expecting 100% coverage and would've been happy with at least 50% help. To me this speaks magnitudes to Lexus' (and the dealer's) customer service and it definitely created a lot of goodwill. According to my SA the out of pocket cost for me at 0% help would've been in the $2k-3k range given the significant time it took to find the problem.

Edit 1 - Quick update... I dropped the car off at my local dealer and had them investigate. Based on what they've found they've narrowed down the culprit to the rear main seal or oil pan gasket, but there's too much oil to be able to determine one or the other. So... they're gonna have to drop the engine to determine the cause. I did however contact Lex Corp and made the dealer aware of this fact, and they're gonna keep corporate updated with the findings. Fingers crossed that they at least cover 50%

Original Post - Welp, found another problem with this damn car. Did some searching on this forum and it doesn't look like anyone has posted this problem yet.
Was replacing the lower ball joints for the car and my mechanic noticed oil on the center under tray. Upon closer inspection it looks like the oil is coming from where the engine meets the transmission, likely from the rear main seal.
Based on preliminary research this is gonna be an expensive *** fix, and I'm 6k over the powertrain warranty. I might have to give Lexus corp. a call to see if they'd be able to help reduce some of the cost.

From the picture below you can see that the subframe is bone dry and clean, but there's oil everywhere past that point, so I'm pretty sure the rear main seal is the culprit.
Keep and eye out on your car guys, with the valley plate leak (which I also had), along with this rear main seal leak, and the waterpump issues others have had, this car isn't as headache free as everyone thinks it is.

Oh and my car is a 2011 MY.

Rear Main Seal Leak @ 77k miles-zq1emit.jpg
Rear Main Seal Leak @ 77k miles-eejawtb.jpg

Last edited by kzlflash; 01-24-17 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-19-16, 03:25 PM
Jmt1011
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely push the dealer to cover that. Lexus should good will that fix no problem.
Old 11-19-16, 03:45 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

you're probably the only person with this issue. never had a rear main seal leak in my life with any car and some cars were over 250k miles.
Old 11-19-16, 05:47 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That problem sucks, but I agree they will probably help you with that, Lexus seems pretty good about that. Any car will have its strange failures here and there and have some lemons from the factory, at least we don't have to worry about the engine grenading itself with this car. Good thing you caught this before it turned into something bigger.
Old 11-20-16, 07:15 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

I didn't have my Evo long enough to run into any problems. I sold it at 44k miles.
Old 11-20-16, 10:56 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Jeez guys....one odd problem doesn't shift the entire reliability index of the car! This happened on my old Acura and I was told that the seal was pinched in the original install causing the leak.

Last edited by Jz39; 11-20-16 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-20-16, 02:30 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jz39
Jeez guys....one odd problem doesn't shift the entire reliability index of the car! This happened on my old Acura and I was told that the seal was pinched in the original install causing the leak.
I'd say the multiple confirmed cases of the valley plate and water pump issues pushes this out of the category of 'one odd problem', especially considering the severity of the two issues.

​​​​​​​hopefully if my leak is confirmed, that it's an isolated issue.
Old 11-20-16, 05:32 PM
Minh93
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So your F is 2011 just 71k miles and you got this issue?
Old 11-21-16, 05:00 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's strange, I see ISFs with up to 140k at this point. The one with 140k is FBO with a tune and gets the crap beat out of it (worlds fastest NA ISF). In 5 years I haven't had one water pump leak, valley pan leak or oil leak issue from my car or a customers car.
Even if some cars do develop leaks I still would consider Lexus and especially the ISF (with the way they are treated) to have very reliable cars. It has nothing to do with the "caliber" of the car. BMWs leak oil from everywhere, by 50k in some cases with Audi and Porsche being on a whole other level of bad when it comes to issues.
Engines are going to leak, it's just the nature of things. If Lexus hasn't done a good enough job with there 400hp daily driver sports sedan then there is always Tesla....
Old 11-21-16, 06:59 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Some are starting to get to that mileage where it's that interval to inspect or replace the PCV valve. It's a PITA to replaced but I'm sure it's easier than some of the seals you would have to replace. Not saying this is the OP's issue but it's certainly something to keep in mind as these vehicles age and begin to get into high mileage territory.
Old 11-21-16, 07:29 AM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow this has the be the first I've seen on a ISF. I've owned a 08 up to 95k and have worked on many (20+) in my area and I have to say this is a first. Valley plate leak and water pump are common for sure but only on 08-10 anything 11+ haven't seen yet. But it's a machine with moving parts so nothing is problem free. Like a previous post stated compared to our German counter parts and other Japanese cars we have it easy for sure. Luxury or non luxury doesn't mean stuff isn't gonna wrong. Plus did you buy the vehicle used? Could be the condition the other owner treated the car such as neglecting certain maintenances and such to prevent problems from occurring. If this was low mileage car then I would be worried but just like any type of machinery it's not perfect by a long shot
Old 11-21-16, 07:57 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kzlflash
Welp, found another problem with this damn car. Did some searching on this forum and it doesn't look like anyone has posted this problem yet.
Was replacing the lower ball joints for the car and my mechanic noticed oil on the center under tray. Upon closer inspection it looks like the oil is coming from where the engine meets the transmission, likely from the rear main seal.
Based on preliminary research this is gonna be an expensive *** fix, and I'm 6k over the powertrain warranty. I might have to give Lexus corp. a call to see if they'd be able to help reduce some of the cost.

From the picture below you can see that the subframe is bone dry and clean, but there's oil everywhere past that point, so I'm pretty sure the rear main seal is the culprit.
Keep and eye out on your car guys, with the valley plate leak (which I also had), along with this rear main seal leak, and the waterpump issues others have had, this car isn't as headache free as everyone thinks it is.

Oh and my car is a 2011 MY.

I feel you man, I was one of the few that had my transmission go out at 80K. I haven't had the valley plate leak or water pump but after the transmission issue I don't have the same confidence in the F that I had about my LS400 but ***** happens.
After I had the transmission work done I noticed a similar leak to yours and thought I had a rear main leak also. There is a hole where the trans and engine mate and you can check to see if it leaks from there. I was able to clean mine off and luckily the residue never came back (it was most likely residual from the trans repair). I would say clean it off and confirm it is coming form that specific hole. If you can get it on a lift, clean it and let it run in gear, then see if the leak starts to come from that hole. Also like someone else said, it could be a really bad PCV issue. Although rare, it is possible to get a rear main seal leak if your crankcase pressure is to high and it is possible that the seal will work again if you can resolve
Old 11-21-16, 10:59 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Piston1047
I feel you man, I was one of the few that had my transmission go out at 80K. I haven't had the valley plate leak or water pump but after the transmission issue I don't have the same confidence in the F that I had about my LS400 but ***** happens.
After I had the transmission work done I noticed a similar leak to yours and thought I had a rear main leak also. There is a hole where the trans and engine mate and you can check to see if it leaks from there. I was able to clean mine off and luckily the residue never came back (it was most likely residual from the trans repair). I would say clean it off and confirm it is coming form that specific hole. If you can get it on a lift, clean it and let it run in gear, then see if the leak starts to come from that hole. Also like someone else said, it could be a really bad PCV issue. Although rare, it is possible to get a rear main seal leak if your crankcase pressure is to high and it is possible that the seal will work again if you can resolve
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll definitely try to clean it off and see if it reoccurs in that spot.
I did buy the car used, but at 22k miles. So it's been in my possession long before this issue.

I do have the RR A/O separator. Would having the RR A/O separator eliminate the crank case pressure? Or it is simply there to just catch the oil, and the pressure is due to a bad PCV valve?
Old 11-21-16, 12:01 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the AOR does not relieve pressure from the crankcase. It catches the oil vapor.
Old 11-22-16, 05:48 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Quick update... I dropped the car off at my local dealer and had them investigate. Based on what they've found they've narrowed down the culprit to the rear main seal or oil pan gasket, but there's too much oil to be able to determine one or the other. So... they're gonna have to drop the engine to determine the cause. I did however contact Lex Corp and made the dealer aware of this fact, and they're gonna keep corporate updated with the findings. Fingers crossed that they at least cover 50%

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal Leak @ 77k miles