GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

I will probably be the first person to drive a GSF in the snow.. Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-16, 04:16 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default I will probably be the first person to drive a GSF in the snow.. Need some help

I live in NY, GSF will be my daily driver, I work 1.5 miles from home so distance is not an issue, but I will need dedicated winter tires, and will be keeping my OEM BBS rims nice and clean in the garage lol.

TireRack does not have anything available for the GSF yet, especially for winter tire/wheel combo. I searched and found a lot of ISF owners got good setups from tirerack for the winter. Will what fit an ISF also fit a GSF?

Can anyone advise on whats the best route to go?

1) Will 18" rims clear the front Brembos? if not i can go with 19's
2) I see a bunch of different bridge stone blizzaks, what do people with experience reccomend?
3) also ive seen Michelin Ice-X tires, are these better than the Blizzaks?

Any input would be appreciated, as I will probably have to get this set up about a week or two after delivery.
Old 11-14-16, 05:02 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard a lot of good reviews of the Blizzacks, My recommendation would be to find a set of tires first that are as close to OEM spec. From there you can either go with another set of stock wheels to keep the same look year around, or go with an aftermarket set that is around stock spec to keep everything OEM and guaranteed fit.
Old 11-15-16, 06:38 AM
redcrxsi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm reasonably confident that the GSF and RCF have the same wheel offsets. You might verify that, and if so check tire rack to see if they have wheel combos for the RCF.

i use Blizzaks on my wife's car, they work quite well.

As someone shared in the IFS forum, go with a narrower setup just try and keep the overall diameter as close to stock so your TC still works correctly. 1-2% difference is generally OK.

Happy motering!
Old 11-15-16, 11:23 AM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always search for wheels and tires by their size, rather than searching for your car. Look up the individual brands that Tire Rack re-sells and see if they have anything that will fit based on their website. From there you can call Tire Rack directly and have them put together a custom order for you to allow you to bundle the wheels and tires that you want. Most wheel companies only have 5-8 sizes from factory, and then they carry blanks to fulfill the rest.
Old 11-16-16, 11:34 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts
Default GSF OEM Wheel Specs

Here's what you need to know about the OEM wheels:
Attached Thumbnails I will probably be the first person to drive a GSF in the snow.. Need some help-gsf-wheel-specs.jpg  
Old 11-16-16, 02:31 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by redcrxsi
I'm reasonably confident that the GSF and RCF have the same wheel offsets.!
They do! The wheel dimensions for both are exactly the same. The only difference is in the style of the wheel

Lou
Old 11-17-16, 01:17 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

To the OP. Not a GSF driver but my MB CLS 550 has power, torque specs comparable to the GSF ( lower power, much higher torque). Use Blizzaks on the MB. My Lexus SC430 uses Falken Eurowinter tires on OEM rims. Been happy with both Blizzaks and Falkens. They're not good in rain but when it is 25 degrees, you will be glad you have them.
Old 11-17-16, 01:48 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by OBP
To the OP. Not a GSF driver but my MB CLS 550 has power, torque specs comparable to the GSF ( lower power, much higher torque). Use Blizzaks on the MB. My Lexus SC430 uses Falken Eurowinter tires on OEM rims. Been happy with both Blizzaks and Falkens. They're not good in rain but when it is 25 degrees, you will be glad you have them.
My favorite winter wheel/tire combo is always downsized wheel(like 19' down to 18") and upsized Michlin Xice 2(like 235/55/19 to 235/60/18). I only use OEM Lexus or Toyota wheels. Blizzak wears too fast plus as tread wears tire performance decreases. My other choice is Continental (this designed for driving on snowy autobahn), Nokian(hard on dry surface). I think in NY it snows more than out here in Alberta.We have periodic Chinook condition which makes snow keeps melting away without piling up.
Old 11-20-16, 04:59 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Thanks guys! Currently have a set of 19 inch Niche Misanos wrapped in Continental DWS 06 All Season tires. These were a summer set from my old car...i was thinking of throwing them on the GS for the winter.

Will I be able to get away with All Seasons? they're on the wide side too..235 front 265 rear. I was hoping to sell them before i got the car to buy a true winter set but no luck so far. Ill see what happens i guess.
Old 11-21-16, 05:55 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by shivad87
Thanks guys! Currently have a set of 19 inch Niche Misanos wrapped in Continental DWS 06 All Season tires. These were a summer set from my old car...i was thinking of throwing them on the GS for the winter.

Will I be able to get away with All Seasons? they're on the wide side too..235 front 265 rear. I was hoping to sell them before i got the car to buy a true winter set but no luck so far. Ill see what happens i guess.
As long as you can clear the big front rotors those wheels should be OK but the tires, that's anyone's guess. Blizzaks are hands down the best serious winter tires and they are priced to match. Super soft rubber doesn't harden up in the cold so you can still get traction, the downside being tread life, which Michelin doesn't really specialize in for their performance and winter tires. Also I believe they are siped. You may want to get your current all seasons siped, any tire shop should be able to do this for a small fee. It's the process of cutting small slits across the tire surface to increase ice and wet grip levels.

Me personally, and I probably already said this, I would go with blizzaks on some cheap but matched rims. I'm super serious about tires because it's literally your only interface between the car and the road, and is the difference between smashing curbs or other cars or stopping and steering safely in bad conditions.

Furthermore, like any real Yankee in Wisconsin or Ohio, I'd own a cheap beater for the winter months with a strong heater. I'm sure this isn't practical for NYC but it probably is upstate.
Old 12-05-16, 07:09 PM
RayKnight
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have my snow tires on and the car is actually GREAT in the snow! Its a hoot actually! Hooks up and hauls out. 19x8.5 Avarus wheels (black)with 235/45R19 Michelin Arctic Alpin tires all the way around. Cost about 2k total wheels, tires and sensors. Tirerack had everything.
The following users liked this post:
CobraGSF (12-05-16)
Old 12-05-16, 09:34 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Hey RayKnight,

Do you mind posting a link to the Tires and wheels you got? Have yet to find a true winter setup for this car. Currently going with niches and All season Continental DWS06 Tires since i haven't sold them from my previous vehicle, but i really want a true Winter setup.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-16, 05:38 PM
RayKnight
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shivad87
Hey RayKnight,

Do you mind posting a link to the Tires and wheels you got? Have yet to find a true winter setup for this car. Currently going with niches and All season Continental DWS06 Tires since i haven't sold them from my previous vehicle, but i really want a true Winter setup.

Thanks in advance.
Re-posting for the other thread.

Tire Rack! Here is what i got. Works AWESOME in the snow too!19X8.5 AVARUS AV15 BLK W/MA4In Stock$119.00$476.00REQUIRED CENTERING RING4In StockN/CN/CRETAINING CLIP FOR AL-P RINGS4In StockN/CN/CREQUIRED LUGNUT FOR VEHICLE (NICKEL PLATED)20In StockN/CN/CLUG ADAPTER1In StockN/CN/CMOUNT AND BALANCE (NO CHARGE)4In StockN/CN/C235/40R-19 MICHELIN PILOT ALPIN PA4 N-SPEC N0(PORSCHE) SL4In Stock$269.80$1,079.20Tire Rack Road Hazard Protection Included ($83.96 value. Exclusions apply.)$0.00RETAIL TIRE REGISTRATION CARD1In StockN/CN/CBASIC LIMITED WARRANTY1In StockN/CN/315MHZ TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR4In Stock$56.00$224.00
​​​​​​​Name:  20161119_093045.jpg
Views: 3803
Size:  5.64 MB