GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sound Generator Disable

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-16, 12:11 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Sound Generator Disable

In an effort to make my GS as quiet as possible, I think I'd like to disable the sound generator. Looks pretty straightforward - remove sound generator assembly and "plug" hose/port.

Am I crazy for considering such?
Old 10-27-16, 12:37 PM
Dkp1111
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
In an effort to make my GS as quiet as possible, I think I'd like to disable the sound generator. Looks pretty straightforward - remove sound generator assembly and "plug" hose/port.

Am I crazy for considering such?
have you think about eletric cars, tesla?!
I don't think messing around with that is a good idea.
The following users liked this post:
robroyalty (03-03-20)
Old 10-27-16, 12:43 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dkp1111
Electric cars? No, the range is not conducive to my profession (field salesperson for technology company).

Not a good idea? Why? If you have specific information, please share...that's what I am looking for from my post. People on this forum regularly replace the air intake, air filter media, etc. Why would this be different?
Old 10-27-16, 12:45 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkp1111
I think he's talking about making the car quiet inside. He would still have the engine noise.
4GS350 (10-22-23)
Old 10-27-16, 12:47 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

SC300Es: correct. Just looking to tweak things a little, not trying to change the world. Just make mine a little quieter.
boostinsc (08-25-18)
Old 10-27-16, 12:54 PM
Dkp1111
Driver

Electric cars? No, the range is not conducive to my profession (field salesperson for technology company).

Not a good idea? Why? If you have specific information, please share...that's what I am looking for from my post. People on this forum regularly replace the air intake, air filter media, etc. Why would this be different?
there are sensors (mass air flow, temperature etc.) It will trigger warning light on the dash if you dont know what you are doing. If the air restricted or leaked the car might stall. Aftermarket intake are designed and tested.
I woundnt touch anything that related to air system unless i know what to do. Dont want to be like the VW folk paying 14.5 billion when mesing around with air system lolz 😂 jk.
Old 10-27-16, 01:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Some folks have swapped their intake for the 3GS model intake, since it's the same engine just without the sound generator. That sound generator has no other function than to make noise, so I see no reason to fear removing it and capping it.
Lwerewolf (08-24-20)
Old 10-27-16, 01:01 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

dkp111: I'm not going to debate you or your comments. Just wondering if anyone had SPECIFIC information or experience. I totally realize the consequences in introducing air leaks, etc.

The sound generator is simply an add on to the intake tube (after the air filter). Pull the plastic decorative motor cover off and you'll see it attached to the intake. It has no wiring and/or functionality...other than amplifying intake noise. That, my friend, is exactly what I am attempting to reduce.
Old 10-27-16, 01:12 PM
Dkp1111
Driver

dkp111: I'm not going to debate you or your comments. Just wondering if anyone had SPECIFIC information or experience. I totally realize the consequences in introducing air leaks, etc.

The sound generator is simply an add on to the intake tube (after the air filter). Pull the plastic decorative motor cover off and you'll see it attached to the intake. It has no wiring and/or functionality...other than amplifying intake noise. That, my friend, is exactly what I am attempting to reduce.
i think JDR76 way is the answer. Swap the intake or at least the hose instead of plug the hole. Sorry if i sound mean😅
Old 10-27-16, 01:47 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

LOL, no worries. I just removed the generator and used a temporary plug. Just getting an idea if it's worth finding a long-term patch.....and it is to me. Now when I press the throttle more than half way the sound is noticeably quieter. You can still hear the motor and even some exhaust noise but the "honk type" noise is gone (maybe more like a goose).

I just need to find either a better way to plug the hose or locate a 3rd Gen intake tube.
Old 10-27-16, 02:03 PM
Nixus
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL, no worries. I just removed the generator and used a temporary plug. Just getting an idea if it's worth finding a long-term patch.....and it is to me. Now when I press the throttle more than half way the sound is noticeably quieter. You can still hear the motor and even some exhaust noise but the "honk type" noise is gone (maybe more like a goose).

I just need to find either a better way to plug the hose or locate a 3rd Gen intake tube.
You can Always switch to the 450h tube since it has a little resonator chamber instead of the sound generator
02REX (04-30-19)
Old 10-27-16, 02:58 PM
CBRA928
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

the K&N intake tube for your year has no sound generator, thats an option, or a 3gs intake pipe. but plugging the hole properly will not result in ANY issues.
Old 10-27-16, 03:13 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Yeah, the K&N intake for the 4GS eliminates the sound completely. It's very easy to install. Amazon has it for $195.99.
Old 10-27-16, 05:05 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

You're very sane by considering this fix. Not sure if you're aware but the IS forums have discussed this issue and they even have very nice pictures of the parts in question. You won't hurt a thing and it looks easy enough to do.
Old 10-27-16, 10:17 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have been thinking of the same thing, never like the artificial sound. Any pictures of what you did?

Quick Reply: Sound Generator Disable