IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

16 IS200T strange engine noise! help!

Old 10-26-16, 11:02 PM
sy8818
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 16 IS200T strange engine noise! help!

Hello, my car is currently at around 12000 miles and since a few days ago, the engine has been giving off this loud, fan-like noise. Has anyone experienced this problem? In the video, all the sound is coming from the car at idle. No background sound is present. Until I take the car in, I would like to have some clues as to what is potentially wrong with it. I would appreciate any feedbacks!

Last edited by sy8818; 10-26-16 at 11:14 PM. Reason: video link
The following users liked this post:
oscaroc (10-05-20)
Old 10-27-16, 12:44 AM
lexusplz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same fan noise too. I'm at 9000 miles. The engine fan turns on often now. I think it could be your radiator pink oil is low, so it doesn't cool the engine that well? I have low radiator oil. Well below the middle. I don't remember having this fan noise either.
Old 10-27-16, 07:55 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Hard to tell. The engine sounds normal... i do hear a buzzing sound but can't really tell. Have you actually looked at the fans to see if its them? I'd guess nothing is wrong. You'd have to push the car EXTREMELY hard to get the fans to come on when you're idling in a parking lot. Unlikely.

Also to the above poster, radiators don't use oil.

This car has two cooling systems with I believe two water pumps. One is a mechanical water pump and i'm not sure about the intercooler pump... maybe its electric and MAYBE its running extra fast to cool the intercooler. I don't know.

Does it do it EVERY TIME? is this repeatable? if so take it to the dealer. If not, it may be nothing and you may have a hard time showing this to the dealer.
Old 10-27-16, 10:44 AM
nealw
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

REALLY -- What is - radiator pink oil ?
Old 10-27-16, 11:52 AM
MatrixPC
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sound like cooling fan. If it wasn't running at the moment, then it something serious.
The fan is automatically turn on base on engine temperature. It's come on more often when you have AC running.
The pink oil referring to is radiator coolant. There are RED (long life) and PINK (extended) color variant. Newer vehicles use PINK.
Old 01-16-17, 03:47 PM
xsdeus
Driver School Candidate

I noticed this exact sound today, and thought I'd search and see if anyone else has heard it on their IS200t.

It's a low buzz, kind of a drone, that sounds electrical.
I'm guessing it's because I turned on the AC while driving, but I haven't noticed the sound before.

The car is cooling now (turned off), so I'll see later if it makes the same sound. If so— I will check my coolant levels and report back.
Old 01-17-17, 12:59 AM
Handi
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is always a good idea to keep tabs on you coolant temp on your dash gauge. So if you have an issue like this you can determine if the gauge is reading what you have seen in the past. Keep an eye on your gauge to see where it is running.
If you think it is not normal for the sound stop by the dealer and have it checked out, better safe than sorry.
Old 01-19-17, 01:44 AM
16is200t
Driver School Candidate

Default Air vacuum valve leakage

I had that same problem on my is200t fsport 2016 around that same amount off miles. Its an air vacuum valve leakage. My dealership had to contact the "lexus tps" aka person that made the new is200t turbo engine. Because the mechanics didn't know what that problem was comming from since it was a new engine for them. So on your second video when you bring the camera closed to the engine in the left side thats where it is coming from. Its a small part that has to be replaced. Let me know if u need more info.
Old 01-20-17, 07:19 PM
mcarter45
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 16is200t
I had that same problem on my is200t fsport 2016 around that same amount off miles. Its an air vacuum valve leakage. My dealership had to contact the "lexus tps" aka person that made the new is200t turbo engine. Because the mechanics didn't know what that problem was comming from since it was a new engine for them. So on your second video when you bring the camera closed to the engine in the left side thats where it is coming from. Its a small part that has to be replaced. Let me know if u need more info.
​​​​​What part needed replacing? I had that noise too. I turned my car off recranked it and it stopped.
Old 01-20-17, 11:27 PM
16is200t
Driver School Candidate

Default Hmmm

Originally Posted by mcarter45
​​​​​What part needed replacing? I had that noise too. I turned my car off recranked it and it stopped.
Its a part that has two small valves connected? Does it still do the noise?
Old 01-22-17, 08:26 AM
xsdeus
Driver School Candidate

So I went to the Lexus dealer and dropped my car off two days ago.

They said that the noise was coming from the vacuum regulator valve sticking open. They're going to replace it and let me know when the repair is done.

Anyone know what that valve controls? Should I be worried about long-term damage to the turbocharger?
Old 01-25-17, 12:19 PM
Luk
Driver School Candidate

Default Same noise here

hi guys
today after normal way home I have heard this freaking noise. And start to dig in to forum to find an answer.
Our dealer is a 120 kilometres from us :/
is it safe to drive the car?
any experience? Tips?

Last edited by Luk; 01-25-17 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-25-17, 02:48 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by xsdeus
So I went to the Lexus dealer and dropped my car off two days ago.

They said that the noise was coming from the vacuum regulator valve sticking open. They're going to replace it and let me know when the repair is done.

Anyone know what that valve controls? Should I be worried about long-term damage to the turbocharger?

Old 02-03-17, 11:05 AM
xsdeus
Driver School Candidate

Still waiting to hear back from the dealership (two week mark).
Apparently, the part is back-ordered.

I did ask them to make sure there aren't damages to other parts because of the defective part.
Will let you guys know if I have an update.
Old 02-03-17, 03:55 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Luk
hi guys
today after normal way home I have heard this freaking noise. And start to dig in to forum to find an answer.
Our dealer is a 120 kilometres from us :/
is it safe to drive the car?
any experience? Tips?
How many miles are on your car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 16 IS200T strange engine noise! help!