IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Transmission Issue 7-8 gear

Old 10-26-16, 05:45 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Transmission Issue 7-8 gear

I have heard of the fluid being low and causing the 1-2 shift to seem to slip or even the 2-3 shift to do same. I have noticed the same sort of issue with the 7-8 , but only those gears. is it possible this is just fluid levels being low?
Old 10-26-16, 08:06 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rselby
I have heard of the fluid being low and causing the 1-2 shift to seem to slip or even the 2-3 shift to do same. I have noticed the same sort of issue with the 7-8 , but only those gears. is it possible this is just fluid levels being low?
Yes, what exactly is happening?
Old 10-26-16, 09:36 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

I was going to set up a trans service with my lexus dealer , Hoping that it is just a bit low and this will correct this issue , anyone have any related issues like this, I've been searching all the trans issues and all I can figure is that's its low on fluid. but for it to do only the 7-8 shift
Old 10-26-16, 09:40 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nks979
Yes, what exactly is happening?
when hot or cold, all gears seem to shift fine in full auto NO sport with the exception of the 7-8 up shift under light accel it has a moment ( how I describe as slipping) , and only this gear change.
Old 10-26-16, 03:03 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when hot or cold, all gears seem to shift fine in full auto NO sport with the exception of the 7-8 up shift under light accel it has a moment ( how I describe as slipping) , and only this gear change.
Hey man, mine is a little jerky going into 3rd (up or down) a lot of the time (sport manual of course) and ever so often going into 7th. I've been debating a full trans fluid flush and refill too.
Old 10-26-16, 05:05 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pushtape
Hey man, mine is a little jerky going into 3rd (up or down) a lot of the time (sport manual of course) and ever so often going into 7th. I've been debating a full trans fluid flush and refill too.
Hmm.... well I am set to have a trans service done Monday, hope its just a lil low on fluid ,I have never noticed this before....either way It is time for a trans service.
Old 10-26-16, 08:11 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Miles on your car? Also have you ever had it serviced before?
Old 10-27-16, 04:43 AM
ISFHEMS
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm.... well I am set to have a trans service done Monday, hope its just a lil low on fluid ,I have never noticed this before....either way It is time for a trans service.
How much did they quote you?
Old 10-27-16, 04:45 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

I have not had trans serviced before , now @ 103,000 , and gave me a quote of $239.00 for trans service
Old 10-29-16, 09:47 AM
ISFHEMS
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have not had trans serviced before , now @ 103,000 , and gave me a quote of $239.00 for trans service
That's not as bad as I thought it'd be!
Old 10-29-16, 11:56 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFHEMS
That's not as bad as I thought it'd be!
Thats for a 3.4 quart drain and fill (about a 3rd of the fluid total), and I would make sure the dealer you take it to actually knows how to do it. I went to a dealership where they had no clue how to do it.
Old 10-29-16, 02:48 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Thats for a 3.4 quart drain and fill (about a 3rd of the fluid total), and I would make sure the dealer you take it to actually knows how to do it. I went to a dealership where they had no clue how to do it.
I will check to see, and I will ask if this includes a filter too( which I think it should)
Old 10-29-16, 03:10 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

I will check to see, and I will ask if this includes a filter too( which I think it should)
The 3.4 swap does not include a filter, I just got mine back from its 4th attempt at finally getting the level right and they nailed it, 100% better than its ever been (bell Lexus Scottsdale). Mine was jerking in and out of every gear and felt like crap in general, tech said he had to keep temp at EXACTLY 113 to get it right. Now it's butter smooth in all modes.
Old 10-29-16, 07:12 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

The 3.4 swap does not include a filter, I just got mine back from its 4th attempt at finally getting the level right and they nailed it, 100% better than its ever been (bell Lexus Scottsdale). Mine was jerking in and out of every gear and felt like crap in general, tech said he had to keep temp at EXACTLY 113 to get it right. Now it's butter smooth in all modes.
WOW really.... glad to hear that it is that sensitive to fluid levels, kind of puts my mind to rest ( was hoping it was not something worse) , and I'm not too happy with that cost if the filter is not being changed, I'm set to drop it off Monday and will call to double check before I do
Old 10-29-16, 07:31 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

WOW really.... glad to hear that it is that sensitive to fluid levels, kind of puts my mind to rest ( was hoping it was not something worse) , and I'm not too happy with that cost if the filter is not being changed, I'm set to drop it off Monday and will call to double check before I do
Maybe they do and just don't include it on the service record they give you, only shows fluid and a gasket on mine. And I was getting myself ready to sell the car if this hadn't done the trick as it was doing all that, making giant clunks going into and out of park and downshifting at random, thought the tranny was about to completely go but now it doesn't have a single symptom. They are crazy sensitive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Issue 7-8 gear