SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

"Door Open" light on dash is on - Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 03:36 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default "Door Open" light on dash is on - Help

Started yesterday. The "Door Open" light on the dash of my 02 SC430 with 73100 miles is constantly on and I assure that both doors are closed. Also there is a single chime everytime when I start up from a stop. Has anyone had this happen to them?
The following users liked this post:
TheKd (06-14-23)
Old 10-25-16, 07:16 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Autoplak
Started yesterday. The "Door Open" light on the dash of my 02 SC430 with 73100 miles is constantly on and I assure that both doors are closed. Also there is a single chime everytime when I start up from a stop. Has anyone had this happen to them?
The chime is normal if you have a door open One of your door push in switches is either bad or the rubber top has worn off and when the door is closed its not closing the circuit . You can tell by seeing if you map light comes on when you open and close a door. Start with drivers side then passenger side. If its a bad switch its no big deal to install a new one or you can glue a piece of rubber to the door frame where the rubber is contacting it this will allow the door switch to push in more
Old 10-25-16, 08:12 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mrblister
The chime is normal if you have a door open One of your door push in switches is either bad or the rubber top has worn off and when the door is closed its not closing the circuit . You can tell by seeing if you map light comes on when you open and close a door. Start with drivers side then passenger side. If its a bad switch its no big deal to install a new one or you can glue a piece of rubber to the door frame where the rubber is contacting it this will allow the door switch to push in more
Thank you,
The map light functions properly as, turns on when door opens and off after door closes. I functioned both door switches many times, in and out, push to sides. Rubber over switches is perfect. I'll look at replacing the drivers door switch first. Looks like a simple bolt attachment and I hope easy electrical connections.
Old 10-25-16, 10:14 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

It could be your trunk is unlatched also. That would explain why the door lights work
Old 10-25-16, 12:15 PM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Probably your trunk. I once had the battery die on me after parking the car for two days. After jump-starting the car, this light was on.

My guess is a leaf or something stuck right where the switch was (mind you, I hadn't opened the trunk before parking the car but opened and closed the top as a kid wanted to see the top work ).

Now I always check that light before walking away.
Old 10-25-16, 02:25 PM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

That was it. The trunk was open.
You people are da best
I can't remember pushing the trunk button, however, I'm slowly realizing that I have a terminal case of CRS.
Once again, as they say in Paris......................................Mucho Gracias
That's Paris Texas
Old 10-25-16, 07:18 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

That was it. The trunk was open.
You people are =
g the trunk button, however, I'm slowly realizing that I have a terminal case of CRS.
Once again, as they say in Paris......................................Mucho Gracias
That's Paris Texas
Since your car is a 2002 check your trunk struts. Open the trunk and raise it and see if it will stay open and not close on its own, The trunk lid struts usually go bad and loose pressure capability. See if the trunk lid will stay open . If the trunk closes on its own it may not have the force needed to lock and extinquish the light
Old 10-26-16, 05:33 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mrblister
Since your car is a 2002 check your trunk struts. Open the trunk and raise it and see if it will stay open and not close on its own, The trunk lid struts usually go bad and loose pressure capability. See if the trunk lid will stay open . If the trunk closes on its own it may not have the force needed to lock and extinquish the light
Thank you. I replaced the struts when I got the car 3 years ago. Actually a bad start. The struts worked at the dealer when I picked it up, but when I arrived home after the 50 mile drive, the struts failed. Most time spent of the replacement was finding the right screw driver to remove the clips.
Now trunk stays up, however, when popping the lid it only bearly breaks open. All is good.
Old 10-26-16, 07:30 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Thank you. I replaced the struts when I got the car 3 years ago. Actually a bad start. The struts worked at the dealer when I picked it up, but when I arrived home after the 50 mile drive, the struts failed. Most time spent of the replacement was finding the right screw driver to remove the clips.
Now trunk stays up, however, when popping the lid it only bearly breaks open. All is good.
That's normal the trunk just releases and barely moves. This is how some sc430 owners have gotten dead battery . Its really not to hard to accidently brush the open trunk latch . The trunk lights seem to come on with just the press of the trunk release. I never thought to see if there was an adjustment on the switch that controls when the trunk light comes on.