IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2nd Gen IS 3D MAXpider trunk liner review

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 05:58 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2nd Gen IS 3D MAXpider trunk liner review

Ive been looking for a full sized trunk liner ever since I got my IS, I automatically went to look at what Weathertech offered since I do have their floor mats which I love cause they are form fitted.
I like how they come up on the sides and are molded to fit the floors, but the the trunk mat that they offer doesn't do that and only covers the center portion on the trunk and leaves the side tray areas exposed.
Most trunk liners I looked at I don't fit the IS trunks perfectly all around, and aren't form fitted but basically just a rubber mat with no edge.
I kinda gave up for a while, but then last week tried looking on the internet for one again.
Anyway I came across one that sounded like just what I was looking for , it said it was custom fitted and covers the whole trunk area and has a raised edge lip to catch any spilt liquids or debris.
Its sold by a company called 3D MAXpider and says it's a custom fit for the 2006-2012 IS250-350, for about $100 on ebay and Amazon. It comes in Black, Gray or Tan.
At first I wasn't sure if wanted to spend a hundred bucks just to find it was poor quality or wasn't form fitted perfectly ,...I took the chance on the quality and I ordered anyway as it was the only one that says it would fit.
Well I got it today and was pleasantly surprised, it fits like a tight glove and covers the entire trunk with the raised lip around the edges, it doesn't smell and fits very well.
This is the description and it actually does all that and is a really factual description of the product.
  • Innovative three-layer structure engineered to protect the interior of your vehicle with style, safety, and comfort in your daily ride
  • Patented MAXpider Bottom Layer keeps mats in place without harming original carpet like Velcro or without leaving marks like nibs of traditional rubber floor mats
  • Three dimensional designs measured to exact cabin contours of your vehicles with raised edges that give maximum coverage and protection to vehicle interior, waterproof, effectively contain mess and spills
  • Surface layer made of Thermoplastic Rubber of carbon fiber texture to complement your vehicles in the style you desired
  • Semi-hard XPE foaming inner layer minimizes foot fatigue and provides the sound barrier for a quieter ride, non-toxic and odorless
In the end I am very happy to have protection for my entire trunk floor and the quality of the liner.
I know I must sound like a commercial for the product, but I am just happy with my purchase and if anyone else was interested in getting one I wanted to give my feedback on this trunk liner.
I have no connection to this product or company, just giving my honest opinion of the product.
Here are some pictures of the fit and what it looks like in my trun

k.
The following users liked this post:
MrHarris (07-17-22)
Old 10-24-16, 07:51 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking good
Old 10-25-16, 05:09 AM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

looks good, i was in the same boat with weathertech's trunk liner, how would this fit with a trunk net. does it get in the way of the metal hooks?
Old 10-25-16, 01:12 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Originally Posted by MAizz
looks good, i was in the same boat with weathertech's trunk liner, how would this fit with a trunk net. does it get in the way of the metal hooks?
Not sure how it would work with the net cause I don't have one.
If you're talking about the bottom chrome square latches it does cover those, but the liner has square indentations right over the latches so you could cut easily out the squares in the liner to expose those chrome latches if you wanted to.

Last edited by Koolsport; 10-25-16 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-25-16, 01:26 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

If you have the Weathertech floor liners, how does the trunk liners material compare to them? Ive been looking for a full mat like you, and Weathertech sadly doesn't fit that bill. Preferably looking for material that doesnt make things slide as much.
Old 10-25-16, 04:11 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Originally Posted by Zmon
If you have the Weathertech floor liners, how does the trunk liners material compare to them? Ive been looking for a full mat like you, and Weathertech sadly doesn't fit that bill. Preferably looking for material that doesnt make things slide as much.
The weathertech is more like a rubberized material, while the trunk liner material is a thermoplastic rubber with a carbon fiber pattern and believe it or not actually grips better than the weather tech imo.
Things will definitely not slide because of the thermoplastic rubber and textured pattern,..I really like the texture a lot.
I did some little research on thermoplastic rubber vs rubber and found out that thermoplastic rubber is a combination of plastic and rubber and is more chemically resistant and handle temperatures better than just rubber.
I believe the newer improved dash and door material is a also a thermoplastic composite so it's not as susceptible to chemicals and heat like the older dashboards suffered in the 06-08 models.
You will not be disappointed in going with this liner for fit, function, and finish.
Old 10-25-16, 04:21 PM
Koolsport
Driver

on a side note I like the full coverage of the trunk liner, cause it also hides the side compartments where a person could theoretically stash some items like money, drugs, and or firearms....if you where so inclined... not that I prescribe to that sort of activity........ha ha
Old 10-25-16, 04:44 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I do have one on my car. Clean and form
The only reason i don't choose weathtertech IS IT'S NOT COVER the whole trunk liner.
Old 10-26-16, 01:00 PM
Soledad
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I run their black floor mats (3D MAXpider Classic Carpet) and absolutely love them. The look of carpet but the functionality of a Weathertech mat. But I've been hesitant about going with the trunk liner fearing it didn't cover the whole trunk bottom. If you don't mind me asking, what's the part number you purchased? Thanks!

Edit: Doh! Never mind. I found it.

Last edited by Soledad; 10-26-16 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-26-16, 02:04 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks good... I should look into getting one for myself
Old 10-26-16, 03:38 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

How is this material to clean? These look so nice I may look into replacing my weathertech
Old 10-26-16, 07:23 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Originally Posted by MAizz
How is this material to clean? These look so nice I may look into replacing my weathertech
My 2 cents,...if you're talking about replacing floormats keep the weather tech floormats they're expensive, if you want to replace the the trunk liner then get the 3D Maxpider as it fills the trunk completely.
Cleaning looks to be similar, not hard to clean at all.
Old 03-15-17, 01:56 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koolsport
My 2 cents,...if you're talking about replacing floormats keep the weather tech floormats they're expensive, if you want to replace the the trunk liner then get the 3D Maxpider as it fills the trunk completely.
Cleaning looks to be similar, not hard to clean at all.
Hey Koolsport, where did you get that trunk mat at? All I could find is some weird company in Asia and I'm not buying anything from Asia lol.
Old 03-15-17, 02:22 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
Hey Koolsport, where did you get that trunk mat at? All I could find is some weird company in Asia and I'm not buying anything from Asia lol.
https://www.amazon.com/3D-MAXpider-Custom-All-Weather-Select/dp/B009TAEX9Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1489612907&sr=8-4&keywords=3D+MAXpider+is350

eBay
Old 03-15-17, 02:26 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Yea I seen that but it doesn't look the same. It looks like flat rubber vs. sort of a... well... not so flat kinda raised up semi rubber lol. Almost like an ultra thin cordura pressed on over top whereas the amazon version looks like stamped flat rubber. I wasn't quite sure if they were exactly the same or not.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen IS 3D MAXpider trunk liner review