LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Replacing factory stereo

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 04:29 PM
dantampa
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing factory stereo

I want to replace the factory stereo in my 1999 LS400 for two reasons. One, because it has the same scrambled display problem that many LS400s seem to have. And two, so that I can connect my phone via Bluetooth and so that I have an aux port.

My question is, are there any specific stereo models that have been notably successful in LS400s? And how many watts is the factory stereo?

I'm looking at installing this stereo: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-...?skuId=4919400 and I'm wondering if it has ample power to drive all of the speakers compared with the factory stereo.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Old 10-24-16, 05:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Please search, this question has been answered many times over and is relatively complex.

TL;DR- No, won't plug in, can't just use toyota harness, subwoofer presents a major issue. Beatsonic harness works (But is expensive) only for the premium (standard) radio, no market-options for Nakamichi cars.
Old 10-24-16, 05:58 PM
dantampa
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Please search, this question has been answered many times over and is relatively complex.

TL;DR- No, won't plug in, can't just use toyota harness, subwoofer presents a major issue. Beatsonic harness works (But is expensive) only for the premium (standard) radio, no market-options for Nakamichi cars.
I tried searching but must have not looked deeply enough. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-26-16, 05:57 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

use the cassette adaptor for your phone. youd be surprised how handy that can be at times. use it as an extra input. by replacing the factory system youll be loosing the 6 disc changer and the tapedeck, which I know not many people use anymore, but youll be surprised how much you might need it someday. the factory systems in these cars are really decent. its perfectly balanced and sounds real nice,and whatever you replace it with is never going to sound as full and rich. you are going to loose the sub without the beatsonic kit but its still not going to sound as good as it did. you wont get the bass response the factory sub without some serious firepower in the trunk due to it being sealed. get the display fixed and get a cassette adaptor. problem solved.
Old 11-07-16, 11:52 PM
taiman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol wow, this is really a downside I was really hoping I would not have to use the old cassette auxiliary cord thingy. Oh Well
Old 11-08-16, 05:33 AM
Suprjdmbro
Rookie

Originally Posted by taiman
Lol wow, this is really a downside I was really hoping I would not have to use the old cassette auxiliary cord thingy. Oh Well
It is not super complicated to put an aftermarket radio into the LS if you have the factory wiring diagrams, and aren't afraid to go probing into some wires. The biggest issue is the factory amp; I have my speaker wires tapped directly into the harness behind the amp (bypassing amp), but I lost function of the factory sub. If you plan on installing an aftermarket amp and sub in its place like I did, then you need not worry about this. I did not buy a harness or anything for my radio, I read about the woes of the plugs not matching so I decided to just solder in my own wires.
Old 11-08-16, 12:15 PM
taiman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Suprjdmbro
It is not super complicated to put an aftermarket radio into the LS if you have the factory wiring diagrams, and aren't afraid to go probing into some wires. The biggest issue is the factory amp; I have my speaker wires tapped directly into the harness behind the amp (bypassing amp), but I lost function of the factory sub. If you plan on installing an aftermarket amp and sub in its place like I did, then you need not worry about this. I did not buy a harness or anything for my radio, I read about the woes of the plugs not matching so I decided to just solder in my own wires.
Thanks for the reply, I would want all my speakers to work. Do you know anything about the Beat-Sonic AOK-03AD? I have a 1998 LS 400 with a NAV and it says its compatible but I don't see no radio bays. I can see the basic radio under the NAV, is that spot just good enough for a 1 DIM aftermarket radio assuming I use the Beat-Sonic AOK-03AD?
Old 11-08-16, 01:10 PM
Suprjdmbro
Rookie

Thanks for the reply, I would want all my speakers to work. Do you know anything about the Beat-Sonic AOK-03AD? I have a 1998 LS 400 with a NAV and it says its compatible but I don't see no radio bays. I can see the basic radio under the NAV, is that spot just good enough for a 1 DIM aftermarket radio assuming I use the Beat-Sonic AOK-03AD?
I unfortunately do not know anything about the beatsonic/ nav compatibility, however I do know I saw a really good thread on the clublexus SC subforum detailing how to install a radio and keep the sub with the beatsonic kit. That may be worth some searching for.
Old 11-08-16, 02:17 PM
EthanS
Pole Position

Received 77 Likes on 55 Posts

In my opinion those cassette deck / aux cord adapters are garbage, literally. I tried that route first and I didn't use it for more than an hour before throwing it out; the sound quality was so bad I didn't know if I wanted to laugh or cry. (To be fair I did buy a cheaper one.. maybe the more expensive adapters can sound a bit better?)

Couple weeks later I ended up shelling out the cash for a reputable audio shop to install a Pioneer 7 inch touch screen in my 1999 LS400. The installer called me half way through the job and said I would lose my factory sub if I didn't upgrade the amp as well, so I went ahead and did that. I did also lose the 6 disk changer but, c'mon.. How much music can 6 CD's hold compared to your phone, ipod, etc? Nada... Who cares.
Another member above said "you'll be surprised at how much you might need it someday". The only thing that surprises me is that the damn thing is still there in upper glove box. I always forget that its even in there LOL.

The entire system absolutely sounded better after it was all said and done. Plus now I've got iPod control through the head unit directly, charging, bluetooth mic for voice control and phone calls / Siri. And here I am over 3 years later, still happy with it and no problems.

Last edited by EthanS; 11-08-16 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-08-16, 02:55 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried the cassette adapter and the quality is bad. I am shocked that no one has mentioned a FM transmitter. I got a Bluetooth one and have her plugged in in the back. All you need to do is find a open frequency in your area, tune your radio to it, and now you got Bluetooth in your car . Sure it is not Aux quality sound but it is better than the cassette adapter . What you could also do is get a FM Modulator that has a aux port if you don't want to go the transmitter route. I have a FM Modulator for my XM Snap and it sounds fine .
Old 11-08-16, 09:55 PM
taiman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Suprjdmbro
I unfortunately do not know anything about the beatsonic/ nav compatibility, however I do know I saw a really good thread on the clublexus SC subforum detailing how to install a radio and keep the sub with the beatsonic kit. That may be worth some searching for.
Haha thanks anyways, Yeah I saw the threads so far, but nothing on that specific model.

Originally Posted by EthanS
In my opinion those cassette deck / aux cord adapters are garbage, literally. I tried that route first and I didn't use it for more than an hour before throwing it out; the sound quality was so bad I didn't know if I wanted to laugh or cry. (To be fair I did buy a cheaper one.. maybe the more expensive adapters can sound a bit better?)

Couple weeks later I ended up shelling out the cash for a reputable audio shop to install a Pioneer 7 inch touch screen in my 1999 LS400. The installer called me half way through the job and said I would lose my factory sub if I didn't upgrade the amp as well, so I went ahead and did that. I did also lose the 6 disk changer but, c'mon.. How much music can 6 CD's hold compared to your phone, ipod, etc? Nada... Who cares.
Another member above said "you'll be surprised at how much you might need it someday". The only thing that surprises me is that the damn thing is still there in upper glove box. I always forget that its even in there LOL.

The entire system absolutely sounded better after it was all said and done. Plus now I've got iPod control through the head unit directly, charging, bluetooth mic for voice control and phone calls / Siri. And here I am over 3 years later, still happy with it and no problems.
Lol wow I'm not surprised it was trash, I'm curious as to how much you paid for them to install that however? Inlcuding the new Amp and what not.

Originally Posted by winter4w
I tried the cassette adapter and the quality is bad. I am shocked that no one has mentioned a FM transmitter. I got a Bluetooth one and have her plugged in in the back. All you need to do is find a open frequency in your area, tune your radio to it, and now you got Bluetooth in your car . Sure it is not Aux quality sound but it is better than the cassette adapter . What you could also do is get a FM Modulator that has a aux port if you don't want to go the transmitter route. I have a FM Modulator for my XM Snap and it sounds fine .
I used that before but that quality was bad, but if it is better than the cassette adapter it is a start, I don't mind going the expensive route, I just want more details about it.
Old 11-10-16, 02:43 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Haha thanks anyways, Yeah I saw the threads so far, but nothing on that specific model.

Lol wow I'm not surprised it was trash, I'm curious as to how much you paid for them to install that however? Inlcuding the new Amp and what not.

I used that before but that quality was bad, but if it is better than the cassette adapter it is a start, I don't mind going the expensive route, I just want more details about it.
Just curious what was the FM transmitter you used?
Old 11-14-16, 03:33 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Bluetooth will never sound as good as a tangible format. atleast to my ears. CDs may take up space but its still the superior format in regards to High Fidelity. call me old school but I can hear a difference.
also, yes, cassette adaptors suck and they are garbage. the modern ones at least. I use one from the late 80s when cd players really started showing up and people wanted to use them in their cars. the sound quality is spectacular. better than I ever thought it would be. there is the trade-off because youll get a bit of tape hiss due to the magnetic head making a physical connection but it will sound much more rich and detailed.

am I out of my mind?