GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Oil on just one spark plug?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 02:39 PM
cptndan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil on just one spark plug?

So, yesterday I changed my spark plugs and oil as regular maintenance. Upon removing the intake assembly I found oil in the intake manifold. The first spark plug was dirty but no oil. The second spark plug had oil on it and when I inspected the piston chamber from above I could see oil. It was not full of oil, but could tell that it was definitely making its way in to the chamber. I changed the rest of the plugs with no more signs of oil. When I changed the oil none of it was milky or signs of coolant.

My thought process tells me that the piston rings are bad, or valve seals. My car does not smoke, but deff burns oil(obviously).

This car is my daily, and I'm in college and work full time. And I really can't go without my car for any amount of time. So taking it to a shop is not an option, and I really just don't want to tear my motor apart in my apartment parking lot.

Thinking about trading for something else, but let me know if you guys have any suggestions!
Picture of the boat.

Old 10-24-16, 06:24 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

first off, your car looks nice. second, I highly suspect that your engine isn't ingesting a crap load of oil to the point were you can literally see it in the combustion chamber. I would suspect that your valve cover gaskets or spark plug tube seal is leaking allowing engine oil to collect at the top of the spark plug. and when you removed the plug to replace it, thats when the oil made its way into the combustion chamber. hopefully thats the case. if there really was a crap load of oil leaking past the rings or the valve guide seals, than there would be alot of smoke and it would be misfiring from alot of oil contamination hitting the plug electrode. post a pic of the plugs your pulled out. and also, was there oil on the bottom of the spark plug wires or coil pack boot?
Old 10-25-16, 02:33 PM
cptndan
Rookie

Originally Posted by badblackgs
first off, your car looks nice. second, I highly suspect that your engine isn't ingesting a crap load of oil to the point were you can literally see it in the combustion chamber. I would suspect that your valve cover gaskets or spark plug tube seal is leaking allowing engine oil to collect at the top of the spark plug. and when you removed the plug to replace it, thats when the oil made its way into the combustion chamber. hopefully thats the case. if there really was a crap load of oil leaking past the rings or the valve guide seals, than there would be alot of smoke and it would be misfiring from alot of oil contamination hitting the plug electrode. post a pic of the plugs your pulled out. and also, was there oil on the bottom of the spark plug wires or coil pack boot?
Thanks!

See, I wondered why there was no misfire or smoke at all. I didn't get to snap a picture of any of it because my phone was dead. All the spark plugs were dirty like I've normally seen with old plugs. I guess I could try replacing the valve cover gasket as well. Wouldn't hurt.

The coil packs/wires were dirty kinda greasy. I don't remember anything more than oil residue on that specific coil pack.

Here's another picture for you Badblackgs
Attached Thumbnails Oil on just one spark plug?-14799892_10209125479165553_980044080_o__1477430970_16470.jpg  
Old 10-25-16, 05:26 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

OP- It would help greatly to know what motor you have in you GS...
The two motors have different spark plug configurations.
Old 10-25-16, 08:34 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I assumed he has a gs300 since he stated that he removed his intake assembly to gain access to the plugs.
Old 10-26-16, 09:49 AM
cptndan
Rookie

Originally Posted by badblackgs
I assumed he has a gs300 since he stated that he removed his intake assembly to gain access to the plugs.
This is correct. Sorry for not clarifying.