IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Audio Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-16, 12:21 PM
trinivirus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Help!!!!

I have a 2010 IS F. I am installing a JL Audio HD 750/1 amp. This amp has a loc built in. I was told to take my signal from the sub output to the JL amp. I have done so and the amp and sub works. Here is the problem, There is little to no bass at lower volumes. Any suggestions? Do I need to tap into another speaker? If so, what color wires would that be off the ML amp?

Thanks for the help.....
Old 10-23-16, 09:39 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

you need an actual loc from a third party, if i am not mistaken the one inside the amps are very weak or not fully functional.

best ones and cheap are scosche, audio control to name a few
Old 10-24-16, 06:17 AM
robtown
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased an Audiocontrol 2ci. I bought it off Amazon for about $70 IIRC. Need to install my sub and amp but thought this would be a good way to go as it will level out some of the factory EQ.

The sub actually gets attenuated as the volume increases from the factory amp to not blow the factory ML sub. I think it's even more pronounced in 2009+ models as a lot of 2008s had an issue with blowing the ML sub. It's been a little while since I looked into this all, but I believe the factory Subsonic filter is 30 Hz.

Rob
Old 10-24-16, 06:54 AM
trinivirus
Driver School Candidate

So to be clear, I can install a LOC on the same sub output from the ML amp and it should be fine?
Old 10-24-16, 09:11 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by trinivirus
So to be clear, I can install a LOC on the same sub output from the ML amp and it should be fine?
I believe if you want the best audio you will need a LOC that can sum signals. You will tap into the front left and front right door woofers as well as the sub signal, then the LOC will output a combined full range signal to your sub to produce the best sound. Something like the AudioControl LC7i would work.

I know others have said the LC2i works fine, but it will not sum signals.

I'm no expert, just relaying what I have seen in previous threads. I suppose it depends on how picky you are with your sound.
Old 10-24-16, 12:19 PM
trinivirus
Driver School Candidate

So I have been looking at the wiring diagram and the left front woofer goes from the amp to a DCM (Telematics Transceiver) then to the woofer. My question is, would tapping into that line mess anything up?
Old 10-24-16, 12:21 PM
trinivirus
Driver School Candidate

Also, others have said to use the sub output and one of the front woofer outputs together. Is that the same as using both for a signal or would the signal be stronger using both woofers?
Old 10-24-16, 04:19 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by trinivirus
Also, others have said to use the sub output and one of the front woofer outputs together. Is that the same as using both for a signal or would the signal be stronger using both woofers?
The problem with this approach is that it assumes the signal from the sub output and the signal from the front woofer are at the same level. They are not. In fact they are not even really close. The sub output signal is much stronger than the front woofer signal. It would probably pick up additional bass than using the sub alone, but the sub output will always overpower the front woofer output so setting your amp gain will be dependent on which signal is sending more at the time.

As Zach mentioned, a better approach is to buy a LOC that can sum signals. I have the audiocontrol lc7i, and I have the front woofers tapped into channel 1, channel 2 turned off and the sub output going to channel 3 with summing enabled. This unit also has an accubass engine that supposedly restores the bass that the factory stereo rolls off at high volumes, but I haven't really messed with it enough to tell if it works well or not (I don't listen to it super loud anyway). And one other point is you will want to always tap the wires going from the amp to the speakers, not the wires coming from the nav system to the amp. Hope this helps. Even with the right equipment, our factory stereo is difficult to get sounding perfect.
Old 10-25-16, 06:41 AM
trinivirus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks I will definitely give it a try and see what happens.