LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New front rotors and brake brand choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-16, 01:58 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default New front rotors and brake brand choices

When I purchased my car 7 years ago (98,000 miles at that time) I immediately replaced the pads and turned the rotors due to a terrible front steering wheel shudder on braking. The pads were 50% worn, but I replaced them anyway with OEM. Maybe a year or so later, the steering wheel shake returned and gradually over time got very bad again. I've read many posts on this forum about warped rotors. I'm not going to turn them again. I currently have 125,000 miles. I do almost all city driving. I looked on Rock Auto and am considering getting the following: front pads....Akebono Pro Act Ultra premium ceramic. front rotors: Centric premium. Rock Auto mentions that the OEM pads are ceramic and I have had good luck with Akebono in the past. Total parts comes to $177 delivered. What have you guys been getting to replace the OEM pads and rotors? Can there be any issues with the brake sensors when going with aftermarket pads? I'm sure I have close to 50% left on my pads currently. Thanks everyone for any and all suggestions.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 10-21-16 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-21-16, 02:37 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with the akebono. I run them on mine with zero issues. Brake pads sensor won't be an issue.

Lot of guys use the centric with good luck.

I run slotted fronts and blank rears from Frozen Rotors. They are cryogenic treated to resist warping and supposed to last much longer.
Old 10-21-16, 02:38 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

i once ordered the 130$ all 4 rotors with ceramic pads from ebay put like 30k miles and were still good.
Old 10-21-16, 02:53 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I like the combination of Centric Premium rotors and Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pads. I've used them on 2 Lexus now and have liked the results. Also very economically priced. Akebono is also a really good brand.

I have not had good luck with OEM Lexus rotors, on my wife's GX they kept warping and bought it new, they would get turned, then warp again despite being in spec. Both the front and rear. I swapped them out with some Centric rotors, never had a problem since and it's been several years now. It seems to be a widespread issue on that model at least.
Old 10-21-16, 03:06 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BradTank
I like the combination of Centric Premium rotors and Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pads. I've used them on 2 Lexus now and have liked the results. Also very economically priced. Akebono is also a really good brand.

I have not had good luck with OEM Lexus rotors, on my wife's GX they kept warping and bought it new, they would get turned, then warp again despite being in spec. Both the front and rear. I swapped them out with some Centric rotors, never had a problem since and it's been several years now. It seems to be a widespread issue on that model at least.
Bradtank and other members. Thanks for the suggestions.. BMORE430. I agree about Akebono as they make pads for many different car brands and are in some cases equivalent to OEM pads. I had them in my Infiniti G35 Coupe and currently in my rears of my Jaguar XK Coupe with good luck. I have heard about so many issues with OEM rotors for the LS430. I usually do OEM but this time I'm going with the Centric Premium rotors. OEM parts might be slightly more money but the quality is not there. Thanks all for the great feedback. Taking my old timer in to respray the front and rear bumper covers and then will address the brakes.
Old 10-21-16, 06:50 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Dealer that sold me the car replaced with oem at my request. I like oem because it is my belief that 10 yrs later there will be no rust, as they are coated. Look at a 7 yo Pilot or RAV4 there will be zero rust on the oem rotors. I got raybestos for my Nissan, they had painted black hats, and they started rusting in days where the pads do not sweep. Then the black started to rust in a few mos. I noticed the Toyota oems are gray and coated even in the vents. The surface is cross hatched (2would be funny if someone stepped forward and said they ripped you off buddy, oem has no cross hatches and is not gray lol).

they threw the old parts in the trunk at my request, the rotors were really rusted, there were 4 bolts, a sensor, and akebono pads 20% worn at best. But it was pulsating so they agreed to replace. I don't believe in turning, and some say no such thing as warping, it's deposits. I tend to believe the latter. If a piston starts to get stuck, the rotor surface deteriorates rapidly from my experience with the Nissan rears....
Old 10-21-16, 10:41 PM
ronas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got akebono on mine, i really like them. Zero noise, practically no dust. They an FF rating so you may want to look into that... It feels like they have less stopping power then others pads I've had but idk if thats actually the case or it just feels like that because the pads don't a strong "bite".
Old 10-22-16, 08:10 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Dealer that sold me the car replaced with oem at my request. I like oem because it is my belief that 10 yrs later there will be no rust, as they are coated. Look at a 7 yo Pilot or RAV4 there will be zero rust on the oem rotors. I got raybestos for my Nissan, they had painted black hats, and they started rusting in days where the pads do not sweep. Then the black started to rust in a few mos. I noticed the Toyota oems are gray and coated even in the vents. The surface is cross hatched (2would be funny if someone stepped forward and said they ripped you off buddy, oem has no cross hatches and is not gray lol).

they threw the old parts in the trunk at my request, the rotors were really rusted, there were 4 bolts, a sensor, and akebono pads 20% worn at best. But it was pulsating so they agreed to replace. I don't believe in turning, and some say no such thing as warping, it's deposits. I tend to believe the latter. If a piston starts to get stuck, the rotor surface deteriorates rapidly from my experience with the Nissan rears....
Not sure about the rust issue but the warping has bee problematic for me as well as many forum members. I usually go for OEM parts but don't want to lay out the bucks and have the same issue again with my rotors. OEM pads I could do, but they are also the most expensive unless there is an outfit I can get them cheaper. Maybe I should get the part number for the pads and get them at Toyota?
Old 10-22-16, 10:44 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When shopping for rotors you want to source Japanese steel rather than Chinese for the best quality. The company I purchased mine from used Japanese Mountain brand rotors for their blanks.
Old 10-22-16, 11:46 AM
LSBen
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the rust cause any performance issues or is it purely cosmetic on the rotors?
Old 10-22-16, 11:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSBen
Does the rust cause any performance issues or is it purely cosmetic on the rotors?
. Purely cosmetic....my rears are rusted as they are not oem. But I am told the pads are new, so I guess it will be years before I get new rotors in the back....IMHO if you had fancy rims, you would not want rusted hats....

​​​​​​​i I also heard oem has the min thick stamped on the hats....
Old 10-22-16, 02:39 PM
Galco
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Currently running Brembo Rotors and Akebono pads. Love the Akebonos for nearly zero dust, down side is less initial bite. Braking is there, but you have to put your foot into the pedal. The LS is the wife's car and she is harder on brakes than any one in the family (there are 5) so the Brembos have developed a slight warp to them. I recently discovered Advics pads which I replace the Akebonos on my sons' Hondas. Great pad! Also on Brembo rotors and it has become my new favorite combination (Advics pads on Brembo Rotors). Should point out that I have been an Akebono fan for 10+ years. The Advics on the 2004 & 2007 Honda Accords has been fantastic. Great crisp initial bite, very confident braking without fade. Dust is low but not as low as Akebono. Sooo, I am going to swap out the LS430's Akebono pads for a set of Advics, turn the current Brembo rotors as well as install new OE brake lines (after 12+ years its time for new lines). I'll report back once done with an update on performance and comparison b/w Akebono and Advic pads. Here's what the pads that are currently sitting in my garage, waiting for cooler weather and a free afternoon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers,
Old 10-22-16, 04:09 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I currently have OEM pads and rotors on my LS430 and my car has a mushy pedal and stops like crap unless I pound on the pedal. I have had previous experience with my sold G35 with akebonos with the loss of initial bite. I'm somewhat concerned that choosing the akebonos may be worse stopping power than I have with the OEMs.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 10-22-16 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-22-16, 05:03 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I drove my 335i on Friday, and when I got back into the LS the brakes were really soft, had to get used to them, soft being an understatement (LS sat since Tue). My front brakes are new oem and flushed today. IMHO this is how they are, when compared to a German car. I doubt the master has anything wrong, I mean the dealer did a multipoint inspection. From everything I know, this car was never intended to compete with a 7 series....the rotors are small < 13"

edit: rephrased horrible as soft

Last edited by Johnhav430; 10-22-16 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-23-16, 06:16 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I'm the OP. I have found fairly often that replacing OEM with aftermarket can frequently have some kind of issues.......That is why for the most part I usually always go for OEM parts unless the price is over the top expensive for OEM. I don't work on my car myself. I can get the Lexus/Toyota OEM pads and rotors delivered to my house for $255. The aftermarket Akebono with Centric rotors for $177. I do very little driving (around 5-6,000 miles a year). For an additional $78 for OEM, and knowing everything is factory compatable....should I be taking the chance to save $78? I'm not sure what a fair price is for labor to change out rotors and pads for the front of the LS430 from an independent shop, but I'm leaning towards staying original. Does $100 labor sound in the ball park? An hour labor? I hate surprises when I bring my own parts. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Bocatrip; 10-23-16 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: New front rotors and brake brand choices