GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus GS350 F Sport v Infiniti Q70

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-16, 01:43 PM
markpjoyce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus GS350 F Sport v Infiniti Q70

I am looking at both vehicles which are 2016 with similar specs. Any thoughts on one over the other?
Old 10-20-16, 02:01 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've cross shopped these before. The Q70 isn't competitive, and in S trim, it's twitchy and darty over uneven pavement which doesn't inspire confidence. The ultra rare 5.6l v8 is quick and alot of fun but you practically have to special order it. The infotainment is way out of date, pretty much identical to the 2011 or older. The Q 50's tech never made it to this model, which is overdue for a full refresh, as is the LS.

Now, if you're going to be hauling people around, the Q70L is very practical and comfortable for normal sized people out back. The body is inoffensive and the interior is quite nice with the silver Ash wood option.

Dollar for dollar the GS kills it, especially as a driver's car. But if you aren't that keen on the driving experience, the Q70 is not the worst option and Infiniti tend to be reliable cars backed by good dealers. Also it's nice to always get a model matching loaner. No clown cars like the CT as a loaner if you service a Q70.
Old 10-20-16, 02:08 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm not personally a Q70 (formerly M37) fan. Here's some info from a comparison test.

4TH PLACE: Infiniti M37S

Lovely — But Big, Noisy, and Thirsty

Had we been able to get an E350 (Mercedes-Benz PR declined our invite, saying they’d prefer to participate when the refreshed E debuts sometime next year), it still would have finished ahead of the Infiniti. That’s because the M was, um, a bit of a mess. See those big 20-inch alloys set under that bold, curvaceous body that stands more than 59 inches tall? Well, the wheels, along with the meaty 245/40 Bridgestones, heighten unsprung weight, and that tallest-in-test roof heightens (literally) the center of gravity, all of which makes the Infiniti ill-prepared for passing physics. Throw in a touchy throttle, overly heavy steering, a stubborn transmission, grabby brakes, and a zealous stability-control system, and the M proved an absolute handful on our twisty road loop.
1ST PLACE: Lexus GS 350 F Sport

Maybe The Ultimate Driving Machine

Remember that E60 535i I mentioned, the one we adored and awarded first place in a February 2010 comparison test? Well, this new Lexus GS 350 F Sport reminds us of that car. A lot. Nimble, balanced, precise, and quick, the GS is a (retired) BMW cloaked in Lexus steel. At 3834 pounds, the GS is the lightest of the four and it feels it — turn-in is sharp and accurate, and weight transfer, whether lateral or longitudinal, is neutral and composed. The Lexus proved the most entertaining, rewarding, and confidence-inspiring up, down, and along our demanding Malibu road loop. Ultimate driving machine? Oh, yeah.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/audi/...luxury-sedans/
Old 10-20-16, 02:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I like the looks of the Q70, and I really like the fact that they have a LWB Q70L, but I agree that its nowhere near as modern or refined as the GS.
Old 10-22-16, 02:35 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

The Q70 is a handsome car, but I wouldn't even consider the Q70...it's a bit long in the tooth. This design came out back in 2011. Even the interior design and tech is old. Still uses the old infotainment system, but the new one isn't that good anyways.
Old 10-22-16, 08:31 AM
bigsteff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before purchasing my 15 GS back in March, I test drove a 15' Q70L. As I approached the car, I was impressed with the 20" wheels and curves. When I sat in the car, it was handsome and well appointed. However, when I actually drove the Q, I was very underwhelmed and disappointed with the ride and most importantly road noise. The road noise was worst than my C6 Corvette GS! For a luxury car, that sucks! It basically felt like I was driving a SUV or a Nissan ultima! I THEN went down the road and test drove the 13' GS. It was so much more of everything (except for rear seat legroom), I actually bought a new leftover 15' GS Lux at about 25% off! I wouldn't have considered the Q even for $10k less! Believe me, if you test drive the Q70 first, after you drive the GS, you'll be sold!
My 2cents
Old 10-22-16, 11:36 PM
murdoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I bought mine, I was considering the Q also. I LOVE the look of the Q, maybe a little bit more than the GS. In the end, dollar for dollar, I saw more value in the GS. I also think the GS will have better resale value than the Q also, which was another major shift to the GS.

Now if you were comparing to an A7 or a Panamera, hands down I'd choose either of those. How much I ended up spending on the GS, I should of backed out, spent a little more, and bought the A7 I wanted. Damn Newport Lexus for having such a gorgeous finance lady. I couldn't say no to her for anything. She could of asked me for anything and I would of gave it to her. lol
Old 10-23-16, 05:35 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by murdoc
When I bought mine, I was considering the Q also. I LOVE the look of the Q, maybe a little bit more than the GS. In the end, dollar for dollar, I saw more value in the GS. I also think the GS will have better resale value than the Q also, which was another major shift to the GS.

Now if you were comparing to an A7 or a Panamera, hands down I'd choose either of those. How much I ended up spending on the GS, I should of backed out, spent a little more, and bought the A7 I wanted. Damn Newport Lexus for having such a gorgeous finance lady. I couldn't say no to her for anything. She could of asked me for anything and I would of gave it to her. lol
We have had both a 2014 GS Luxury and A7 at the same time. The A7 is a great driving car, but I actually consider the GS a little more luxurious and has its own advantages. Both great cars.
Old 10-23-16, 08:20 PM
murdoc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjscsix
We have had both a 2014 GS Luxury and A7 at the same time. The A7 is a great driving car, but I actually consider the GS a little more luxurious and has its own advantages. Both great cars.
I'll have to agree on the luxurious part. Overall the GS is a better car, I think. Especially interior wise, Audi has just been cheapish to me. However, exterior wise, the A7 is wayyyyyyyy more attractive. I mean that car is just stunning and beautiful. Every time I see one on the road I get the regrets in my gut.
Don't get me wrong, the GS has looks too, but when I see them side by side I drool over the A7. When I see the GS alone, it's definitely a looker too.
Old 10-25-16, 09:09 AM
TrevorTran
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

LOL at your last comment. Similar situation when I was buying my GS, the lady that sold me the car was gorgeous and couldn't help but think that she might have been impressed with me buying a Lexus hahaha.

Anyway, I have seen a long wheelbase Q70 on the freeways before, and it does stand out due to its large size. The 20" rims make the car look like it belongs to at the DUB show, but I would agree that the GS would have better resale value, plus it's a lot more nimble and fun to drive.
Old 10-27-16, 08:55 AM
murdoc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TrevorTran
LOL at your last comment. Similar situation when I was buying my GS, the lady that sold me the car was gorgeous and couldn't help but think that she might have been impressed with me buying a Lexus hahaha.
LOL! Serious sht. Same here man. I kid you not, this lady was stunning and I basically did the same. Came in with a budget on what I would spend on the car, was going good til I went into finance office, walked out spending 5k+ more than I budgeted. FML. hahaha
Old 10-27-16, 10:04 AM
Dkp1111
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Next time bring your wife, she can save you ton of money😂
Old 10-27-16, 07:02 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I'll have to agree on the luxurious part. Overall the GS is a better car, I think. Especially interior wise, Audi has just been cheapish to me. However, exterior wise, the A7 is wayyyyyyyy more attractive. I mean that car is just stunning and beautiful. Every time I see one on the road I get the regrets in my gut.
Don't get me wrong, the GS has looks too, but when I see them side by side I drool over the A7. When I see the GS alone, it's definitely a looker too.
Where the A7 (or A6 3.0) blows the GS away is power. If you have not driven one you'd be stunned at how much harder they accelerate in real world driving than a GS. The car feels nearly as fast as the 2012 400 hp BMW 550 I had before the A7.
Old 10-28-16, 02:42 PM
murdoc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dkp1111
Next time bring your wife, she can save you ton of money😂
LOL! I dunno, if I had a wife I might be 6 feet under. hahaha

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Where the A7 (or A6 3.0) blows the GS away is power. If you have not driven one you'd be stunned at how much harder they accelerate in real world driving than a GS. The car feels nearly as fast as the 2012 400 hp BMW 550 I had before the A7.
OMG yes. Not to mention the pulleys you can get and a tune. A7 is a stout "coupe" :P Ahhhhh, you're making me regret again lol
Old 10-28-16, 02:50 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've driven both cars and I have to say the Lexus is a lot better in every aspect. It has a much more premium presence and so much more nicer to drive. I recommend driving both and see which one you like.