Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Q7 Prestige vs 2017 GLS450 test drives

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-16, 05:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default 2017 Q7 Prestige vs 2017 GLS450 test drives

Opportunities came up and I was able to take a look at the all-new 2017 Audi Q7 and Mercedes GLS. I thought it would be an interesting comparison, but I walked away thinking more about what compromises people need to make choosing between these two cars.

Audi Q7

The Q7 is a redesign for 2017. Compared to the previous generation, the new one seems to be lower and look more like a crossover than a SUV. The car is pretty long at 200” and overall it carries a lot of the typical Audi design languages.

I test drove the Prestige so it has a lot of the bells and whistles standard. The LED headlights are really cool and the taillights also look very refreshing. One thing I don’t like about the car is the absence of sideboards. While the car sits a low, getting in and out of the car without the sideboards is still not easy. I always hate leaning and pressing against the side cushion you can’t avoid it in the Q7. Not to mention for families with little kids, kids simply can’t “climb” into the second row and need help.

The interior room is quite pleasing. Front seats are comfortable and spacious, the center console design is modern and useful. Second row is surprisingly spacious especially on the legroom. Second row position can be adjusted forward and backward, this is useful when you need to utilize the third row so you can adjust second row to compromise the legroom. Flipping up the second row for third row access is straight forward and effortless which is a plus. Third row though is quite pathetic, it’s OK for small kids 6 or under, but fitting an adult in the back is far from ideal. Even with the third row up, there are still decent amount of space behind for cargo.

The standard panoramic roof is a nice touch, not really my cup of tea but kids found it exciting. The dash for sure is the fancy part of the whole Q7 Prestige. The virtual cockpit is very nice with the whole screen displaying the map, it takes time to get used to though. HUD is standard so that’s a nice touch.

Just like what most of the reviews stated, driving is the part that really shines. To be fair, I don’t think the Q7 is fast at all. The supercharged V6 is decent but it just feel that punchy or powerful. In sports mode it gets more responsive but again given the weight of the car I think it could have been faster.

Driving dynamic is incredible, you simply don’t think you are driving a crossover or SUV. It’s like driving a car. Very planted and stable, making quick suddenly lane changes or turns and you don’t feel the usual rolling feel of a SUV. On freeway ramps the car stays very flat and capable. Car feels is balanced, you don’t feel too much weight and it has little understeering feel. For a car this long it definitely drives very small.

Braking is often a weak spot for SUV but I think the brakes on the Q7 work pretty well, it doesn’t carry a lot of a nose dive when braking moderately.

Mercedes GLS

The GLS is on a facelift for 2017. It’s basically the same as the old GL but with a change in badge and updated headlights, command system, etc…

Even though the car is only 2” longer than the Q7 but because of the height, the car looks a lot bigger. I also think the GLS has a far more attractive look than the Q7. It has tons more presence, more details in all the panel designs, and exterior looks like a more expensive car.

The same also goes for the overall interior. The GLS has more space especially the headroom, and you can feel the car is built with better materials and more attention to details. The doors are strong, heavy, and sturdy. However, the second row cannot be adjusted forward and backward, that was a little surprising to me (even the LX570 has that feature). But even with that, the GLS has a more useful third row with wider sides and deeper legroom. It is still not perfect for adults by any means but at least it’s a negotiable option. It also has more rear cargo space when the third row is up.

The GLS dash is relatively standard, I wouldn’t call it anything special even with the new command system (touch pad). The screen is small at 8”, no virtual dashboard of any kind, and HUD and panoramic roof are all options.

Driving is a very different experience. Just like most Mercedes, you feel like you are inside a tank. It’s big and it is very heavy. The GLS450 with the TT V6 doesn’t really put out very impressive power, acceleration is a struggling (and loud) exercise which is a little disappointing. The suspension is soft and you know you are driving a SUV every time you turn or brake. The car rolls and the air suspension tries hard to compensate. At 202” the car isn’t very hard to maneuver but it definitely feels bigger than the Q7. Braking is on the weak side too, I think it likely has to do with the very heavy body.

Comparison

It’s not easy to compare these two cars. In fact, besides the fact that these cars carry the “SUV” badge I think they are very different.

A relatively loaded Q7 Prestige is around 70k, that’s thousands under a similarly optioned GLS450. In fact a really loaded GLS450 will edge into the 80k territory. You do get a lot of cool features standard with a 70K Q7 including HUD, panoramic roof, virtual cockpit, LED headlights, etc… so it sounds like a big bang for the money, but it is also not without compromise.

In my opinion you lose in class. Everything considered I don’t feel the Q7 is in the same league as GLS. It’s more of like a half step above X5, GLE, and GX. You lose the presence and attention to details here and there.

But on the flipside, if you actually care about driving experience then the Q7 is almost a no brainer. It’s a car that you can actually have a lot of fun driving in. But if what you care is an isolated and safe feeling that your precious cargo in the back is not going to be affected by exterior danger, the GLS might be your choice.

So maybe by now you understand what I mean it’s more like a decision on what to compromise when choosing between these two cars.
Old 10-19-16, 05:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Thanks for your detailed yet concise write up. I enjoyed reading it.
Old 10-20-16, 09:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I too enjoyed it. I have t driven the refresh GLS I'll have to do so
Old 10-20-16, 09:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

great write-up as always!! thank you for taking the time to do so. i know you're a busy guy.
two quite different experiences then... with the new Q7 platform, looks like they tried hard to drop the weight and make the handling/drive decent.
GLS is definitely a bank vault.

how quiet were the two vehicles?
Old 10-20-16, 09:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

thanks guys. yes sorry for the very late reply, work and family have kept me away from the forums a lot.

i was quite surprised by the experience too, didn't realize the two cars are so different until i went through them.

honestly, with the way i drive, i think the q7 has less engine noise but more road noise, whereas the gls450 has more engine noise while being more isolated from the road. my feeling is for those who don't hunger for power (like me) and are able to drive the car gently, the gls450 is a quieter and smoother car. even the steering is noticeably lighter.

but this is not to say they cars are loud though, they are both very quiet in today's market.
Old 10-20-16, 09:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I too enjoyed it. I have t driven the refresh GLS I'll have to do so
i look forward to your review too.

i actually don't think the gl/gls drive too differently before and after the facelift. to me most of the changes are just cosmetic
Old 10-20-16, 11:15 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome review!

I will say, there's a big difference between driving a standard GLS450 and one with the active curve suspension option checked. Keeps the roly-poly body motions in check. The GLS550's bigger brakes and V8 TT make for a different experience as well- that's the sweet spot model, imo.
Old 10-21-16, 09:04 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Despite the new design that the q7 looks like a bigger station wagon, it's everywhere!

So which one are you going to get?
Old 10-21-16, 10:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Awesome review!

I will say, there's a big difference between driving a standard GLS450 and one with the active curve suspension option checked. Keeps the roly-poly body motions in check. The GLS550's bigger brakes and V8 TT make for a different experience as well- that's the sweet spot model, imo.
since you brought up the GLS550, yes it's a very different car. the generous increase in power and braking makes it a much better match to the sheer weight. it's really a better package but it also come base at over 90k which is considerably more than the Q7 and GLS450. it does have a lot more things standard though.

and yes, the active curve does a wonderful job from what i heard, unfortunately i didn't get to experience it. actually i just looked back and the GLS450 i test drove is at whopping 88k and it still doesn't have the active curve option.

i think it's more commonly available on the 550 or 63
Old 10-21-16, 10:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Despite the new design that the q7 looks like a bigger station wagon, it's everywhere!

So which one are you going to get?
yes for sure the car is selling very well. most dealerships have low inventory. there are more Premium package around, but Prestige is rare and imho Prestige is the one to get, you pay little extra to get a lot more.

the bad thing about Audi is the price, they have extremely lousy lease deals in general. most of the Prestige goes for high 900s on lease. For a 70k car that's pretty expensive.

hahaha us? we are still happily driving the gx470
Old 10-21-16, 06:03 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I have a good amount of seat time in a 2013 or 2014 GL450. That had a bigger twin turbo V8 under the hood, Benz decided to stick the smaller twin turbo V6 under the hood starting in 2015 or 2016, I assume it gets better gas mileage. I will tell you one thing, that twin turbo V8, even in the base model GL450(the 550 was the same engine with a higher hp rating), never left me wanting for more power, for a big 7 seat 5000lb suv it was pretty stinking fast, pulled great down low, pulled even better up at the top of the tach when the turbos came on full song. Very quiet and refined as well, also got 12mpg.
Old 10-21-16, 09:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ I have a good amount of seat time in a 2013 or 2014 GL450. That had a bigger twin turbo V8 under the hood, Benz decided to stick the smaller twin turbo V6 under the hood starting in 2015 or 2016, I assume it gets better gas mileage. I will tell you one thing, that twin turbo V8, even in the base model GL450(the 550 was the same engine with a higher hp rating), never left me wanting for more power, for a big 7 seat 5000lb suv it was pretty stinking fast, pulled great down low, pulled even better up at the top of the tach when the turbos came on full song. Very quiet and refined as well, also got 12mpg.
yes the 2013 and 2014 gl450 were pretty much a mistake by mb when they stuffed the exact same engine but just with a simple de-tune. although about the same power rating as the 15+ gs450, but like you said the tq makes up for it and that car pulls very decently. not to mention with an easy renntech tune and you are up to 600+ hp like that. talk about bang for the bucks.

the new gl450 with the tt v6 though is a very different story. on the gle400 it is ok, but on a 5500lb car? not good
Old 10-21-16, 10:48 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny just couple days ago when I saw the GLS 63, and thought it's one of the best looking SUV out there.

So I really interested to read your opinion on the new GLS. I love everything about the AMG, just wish the interior design can be similar of the new design but I guess we won't see it till the next Gen. I even thought about getting this after the M, but I just not sure I would like the handling after I got used to my M...
Old 10-22-16, 12:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Funny just couple days ago when I saw the GLS 63, and thought it's one of the best looking SUV out there.

So I really interested to read your opinion on the new GLS. I love everything about the AMG, just wish the interior design can be similar of the new design but I guess we won't see it till the next Gen. I even thought about getting this after the M, but I just not sure I would like the handling after I got used to my M...
by new design you mean the new S and E? if so then i think it will be a while. outside of the the S and E i think mb is still in the direction of a floating screen and the touch command. the GLS already got that so it will be another 3 years.

imho amg most of the time is about straight speed. when it comes to handling and dynamics i still like the M more. and let's face it, the gls63 is crazy but it's still 5500lb crazy, there is something about physics you can't deny

but you are right, i think the gls63 is dead handsome. personally i think it looks far better than g63
Old 10-22-16, 01:58 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh man, this is so tempting! One more choice to put in the shopping list.

Quick Reply: 2017 Q7 Prestige vs 2017 GLS450 test drives