IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Funny BMW stories

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-16, 04:14 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Funny BMW stories

Driving home tonight I'm in light traffic and hear this loud rattling noise and can't tell for sure if it's coming from my car or someone else's due to the acoustics.

For a second I think it's my car, even though in the back of my mind I was thinking no ways it's the F. Then a crappy car turns from in front of me and I see a late model 3 series ahead and sure enough that thing was rattling like crazy, sounded like something under the hood. LOL.

Earlier in in the week our neighbor was pulling their new 7 series in and the thing sounded like it was grinding gravel from the engine. Near 100k car and it sounded awful.

And about a month ago, I saw 4 BMWs getting towed from the side of the road in a single weekend! This was almost unbelievable to me!

Crazy......
Old 10-19-16, 07:33 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus are #1 reliability.
Old 10-19-16, 07:50 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Yep, German cars definitely are nice for the first few years, but when they go bad, they go bad. A few months ago I was driving to work with the windows down and started smelling an electrical fire. I pretty much crapped my pants because I have some electrical work done by myself. Turns out that a Jaguar in front of me had some wires burning up in the fender well right above the rear driver's tire. I could see the smoke puffing out. I drove up beside the driver and let her know she had an issue. The lady didn't care and just kept driving. Man was I thankful that it wasn't my car.
​​​​​​
Old 10-19-16, 07:58 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Watched a Jaguar blow its engine in front of me just a week ago, oil out the exhaust pipes all over the car behind it, smoke out of the hood, and some horrible grinding squealing noises. Wasn't even that old. That and all the issues on my buddies brand new F-type have scared me away from those cars for a while, the only Euro car id consider is a porsche.
Old 10-20-16, 06:16 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by nks979
Watched a Jaguar blow its engine in front of me just a week ago, oil out the exhaust pipes all over the car behind it, smoke out of the hood, and some horrible grinding squealing noises. Wasn't even that old. That and all the issues on my buddies brand new F-type have scared me away from those cars for a while, the only Euro car id consider is a porsche.
Same here. I heard that Jags have the most electrical issues of any car, and its starting to show.
Old 10-20-16, 07:14 AM
ap2s2k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^i always thought that trophy went to VW
Old 10-20-16, 08:11 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by ap2s2k
^^^i always thought that trophy went to VW
Last I heard it was Jag and Range Rover, and I was contemplating buying a range rover in the future. But now you say VW, sheesh. Life is tough
Old 10-20-16, 11:55 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Been seeing a lot of new bimmers - enthusiast & otherwise - blowing white smoke. Such a shame as I'm a fan of the enthusiast end of the cars...
When my girlfriend & I see it together, we see who can say "ROD BEARINGS" first.
Old 10-20-16, 03:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Cant be the ultimate driving machine when the POS is always in the shop.........like always. LMAO Even BMW guys know their cars suck *** for reliability. They buy them to front and to claim they are all real drivers when they dont even track their cars. Its a big joke. Just freeway pulls and the owners and the brand think they are Gods gift to performance cars. These guys are all on a first name basis with their SA's
Old 10-20-16, 05:12 PM
lexuspow21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Cant be the ultimate driving machine when the POS is always in the shop.........like always. LMAO Even BMW guys know their cars suck *** for reliability. They buy them to front and to claim they are all real drivers when they dont even track their cars. Its a big joke. Just freeway pulls and the owners and the brand think they are Gods gift to performance cars. These guys are all on a first name basis with their SA's
I guess those bimmers you raced on the track were fiction? As much as we might dislike bimmers, why do we have to give them so much attention on here? Even with usernames? lol. Bimmer owners ignore us - we should do the same.
Old 10-20-16, 06:06 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I thought we were all car enthusiasts. This is my track car 190k miles on the ORIGINAL engine. I beat the living daylights out of it. Never been stranded. Drive to and from the track. Oh yeah. 20 years old. My 2015 RCF has had more problems than my M3s. Hence the 2016 RCF.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=549293

Last edited by Isfast; 10-20-16 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-20-16, 06:37 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by Isfast
I thought we were all car enthusiasts. This is my track car 190k miles on the ORIGINAL engine. I beat the living daylights out of it. Never been stranded. Drive to and from the track. Oh yeah. 20 years old. My 2015 RCF has had more problems than my M3s. Hence the 2016 RCF.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=549293
I always liked those models. They don't make em like that anymore.
Old 10-20-16, 06:50 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Not hating at all...almost sadly the opposite. I really looked at the Ms, AMGs and RSs...I considered them and would've loved to have had one. But, my initial comments were completely unbiased. When I heard a brand new $100k 7 series with an engine that sounded like it was chewing gravel, a new 3 series that was rattling like a cocktail shaker, and 4 dead bimmers in a bit over 200 miles of driving, I realize that I made the correct decision every day. I wish it wasn't this way, I probably will never own a bimmer for the simple fact that I fear wasting the precious free time that I have at the dealership.

Buy a M new to get a warranty and it's a serious price tag, lease one and you are paying a huge sum to borrow a car, buy one used and expect to be making two car payments over the long hual.

Funny story, my buddy became a service manager at BMW right around the time that they started turbocharging the 3 series and I said to him at the time that you should NEVER buy a twin turbo 3 series, lease it bc not one, but two turbos in a BMW was a financial nightmare waiting to happen.

Didn't see him for about 5 years and I then ran into him downtown and I kid you not, THE FIRST THING HE SAID TO ME was "You were right"! Then he clarified that he was talking about the turbochargers...and how many they keep in stock at a given time.

And now, my neighbor two doors down, who was the service manager at the local Lexus shop for almost a decade and then moved to BMW...he only lasted a year and then moved on to another, higher end opportunity, but said that the difference between being at Lexus and BMW was night and day, the simple and constant problems that he had to deal with compared to Lexus was, in his words, unbelievable.

Sadly, BMW truly treats its customers as beta testers, and for that price tag, that's just not acceptable.
Old 10-20-16, 07:05 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
Not hating at all...almost sadly the opposite. I really looked at the Ms, AMGs and RSs...I considered them and would've loved to have had one. But, my initial comments were completely unbiased. When I heard a brand new $100k 7 series with an engine that sounded like it was chewing gravel, a new 3 series that was rattling like a cocktail shaker, and 4 dead bimmers in a bit over 200 miles of driving, I realize that I made the correct decision every day. I wish it wasn't this way, I probably will never own a bimmer for the simple fact that I fear wasting the precious free time that I have at the dealership.

Buy a M new to get a warranty and it's a serious price tag, lease one and you are paying a huge sum to borrow a car, buy one used and expect to be making two car payments over the long hual.

Funny story, my buddy became a service manager at BMW right around the time that they started turbocharging the 3 series and I said to him at the time that you should NEVER buy a twin turbo 3 series, lease it bc not one, but two turbos in a BMW was a financial nightmare waiting to happen.

Didn't see him for about 5 years and I then ran into him downtown and I kid you not, THE FIRST THING HE SAID TO ME was "You were right"! Then he clarified that he was talking about the turbochargers...and how many they keep in stock at a given time.

And now, my neighbor two doors down, who was the service manager at the local Lexus shop for almost a decade and then moved to BMW...he only lasted a year and then moved on to another, higher end opportunity, but said that the difference between being at Lexus and BMW was night and day, the simple and constant problems that he had to deal with compared to Lexus was, in his words, unbelievable.

Sadly, BMW truly treats its customers as beta testers, and for that price tag, that's just not acceptable.
I hear you and agree. There may be certain models that are disasters. In my experience of owning quite a few M3s, they have been quite reliable. All the way to the e90 M3. I have no experience with the F80s, so I cannot say.
Old 10-20-16, 08:44 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm tending to agree with my wife. ANY car is only as good as the owner treats it. Mind you, our German counterparts are very needy vehicles. It all depends on how deep our pockets are in a sense. Also, how much an owner is willing to put up with the necessity of the vehicle.

I believe ANYBODY can purchase ANY vehicle they choose as long as they can handle the payments. The big kick in the ***** that most don't consider is the cost of keeping that particular vehicle in tip top shape.

That's why I love Lexus, they're the true under dogs but surely look beautiful out in the wild being so. They're not fastest but sure in hell not the slowest. I Love how our F cars aren't seen in every corner! But I agree, We should embrace our brand more and not mind our German counterparts.

Our vehicles have been genuinely built and quite honestly, they're reasonable in terms of maintenance. Let the German affeciancados tune they're factory 200hp cars to 800hp...lmao. I'll be too busy grinning and enjoying my ISF.

Quick Reply: Funny BMW stories