IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What do you wish you knew...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-16, 12:33 PM
GAISF
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you wish you knew...

...when you first got your IS-F. Just picked up an '08 over the weekend and i'm starting to dig through the forum. Probably not looking to mod it. Just want to take good care of it and make it last a long time! What do you wish you knew when you first got your car that you know now?

Details of the car:
Silver (Mercury Metallic)
84k miles
Just had the valley plate leak fixed by dealer
Has some sort of aftermarket intake running to stock box. No branding on pipe
Also came with lowering springs. That i didn't love but it does look nice!

Last edited by GAISF; 10-17-16 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-17-16, 01:04 PM
Drok149
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Figs front lca bushings or the rr racing ones will save your front tires from the dreaded inner tire wear that really shortens there lifespan. On that note tire rack is running a special on continental extreme contact dw's if you need new summer tires. People have mixed reviews on these tires but I don't have any complaints. My last set I paid $1100 for and just paid $675 with an alignment that's how good of a deal it is. That's in the bigger 245/35/19 275/30/19 sizes which fit nicely on the stock wheels with zero issues.
I also got my car not planning on modding because it felt like the perfect car stock but 2 years later I've spent 15k on mods. So I wish I knew that going in I may still get the mod bug lol.
Old 10-17-16, 01:17 PM
GAISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Drok149
Figs front lca bushings or the rr racing ones will save your front tires from the dreaded inner tire wear that really shortens there lifespan. On that note tire rack is running a special on continental extreme contact dw's if you need new summer tires. People have mixed reviews on these tires but I don't have any complaints. My last set I paid $1100 for and just paid $675 with an alignment that's how good of a deal it is. That's in the bigger 245/35/19 275/30/19 sizes which fit nicely on the stock wheels with zero issues.
I also got my car not planning on modding because it felt like the perfect car stock but 2 years later I've spent 15k on mods. So I wish I knew that going in I may still get the mod bug lol.
The suspension is one area of concern for the future. I don't know how the current setup will wear on the tires. The lexus dealership said that the springs on it didn't keep it from being aligned properly but I know the shocks will probably go faster now so that ill undoubtedly kick off a chain of events that lead to mods...
Old 10-17-16, 01:35 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

I wish I would have known how good the motor/exhaust sounded on this car and I would've bought an F sooner!!
I also wish I would have known how much better the engine sounds with an exhaust like the JoeZ and I would have already had an aftermarket exhaust waiting for me before I even bought the F😎👍! That's about it, lol.

V.
Old 10-17-16, 01:44 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
I wish I would have known how good the motor/exhaust sounded on this car and I would've bought an F sooner!!
I also wish I would have known how much better the engine sounds with an exhaust like the JoeZ and I would have already had an aftermarket exhaust waiting for me before I even bought the F😎👍! That's about it, lol.

V.
But don't you have the XForce? lol
Old 10-17-16, 02:35 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by mahcah
But don't you have the XForce? lol
No sir, never have and never will as long as JoeZs is around. I've had my joeZ for approximately 5 months now. Stock b4 that.

V.
Old 10-17-16, 02:49 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Whoops wrong person...
Old 10-17-16, 03:42 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Another vote for getting RR-Racing USRS off the bat, great cheap mod that will save you in the long run.
Old 10-17-16, 11:30 PM
808newbie
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet

V.
reading this just makes me wanna jump on an exhaust system and headers huuuh if only i had a bigger wallet to afford it lol

also a cheap mod to do would be the RR-racing air/oil separator.
Old 10-18-16, 09:12 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GAISF
...when you first got your IS-F. Just picked up an '08 over the weekend and i'm starting to dig through the forum. Probably not looking to mod it. Just want to take good care of it and make it last a long time! What do you wish you knew when you first got your car that you know now?

Details of the car:
Silver (Mercury Metallic)
84k miles
Just had the valley plate leak fixed by dealer
Has some sort of aftermarket intake running to stock box. No branding on pipe
Also came with lowering springs. That i didn't love but it does look nice!
Glad you got some things addressed. I highlighted some of your post because Toyota/Lexus already did the hard part for you. Just keep up with usual maintenance items and you'll be fine.

Pics of the intake setup please?

Thanks
Old 10-18-16, 10:26 AM
GAISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Justin727
Glad you got some things addressed. I highlighted some of your post because Toyota/Lexus already did the hard part for you. Just keep up with usual maintenance items and you'll be fine.

Pics of the intake setup please?

Thanks

Last edited by GAISF; 10-18-16 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-18-16, 12:19 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

That would be a JoeZ intake. If you're looking to get rid of and grab an OEM tube to swap back to pm me.
Old 10-18-16, 12:23 PM
GAISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Justin727
That would be a JoeZ intake. If you're looking to get rid of and grab an OEM tube to swap back to pm me.
Awesome! I was hoping that's what it was. I'll hold on to it for now
Old 10-18-16, 12:26 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Awesome! I was hoping that's what it was. I'll hold on to it for now

Good deal!

Looking forward to seeing more pics of the car as well if you haven't posted them yet.
Old 10-19-16, 12:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I wish I knew that the car understeers like a pig with the anemic oem tires. Its an almost immediate upgrade needed if you intend to have any real fun in the corners with this car. It was alarming that my LS460 had more grip in the front than my ISF did. ( roll and grip are different )

Quick Reply: What do you wish you knew...