NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Music via USB in NX

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-16, 10:28 AM
DBCOM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Music via USB in NX

Hey folks! So, previous had an Iphone which was detected via USB no problem to play music. I've recently switched over to Samsung Galaxy S7 and seems my only option is Bluetooth to play my tunes as it won't detect via USB. I also tried to put some MP3s on a flash drive which I formatted FAT32, and although it enables the USB option in the source options, doesn't seem to load the music / playlist. I didn't create any folders or anything and copied all of the MP3 directly on the root of the drive.... any tips or ideas on what I'm doing wrong here? Anyone else use an Android device and has alternative options to play music aside from Bluetooth? Thanks!
Old 10-17-16, 07:14 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The USB option worked for me although it has issues such as many of the same songs played over and over.
Old 10-17-16, 08:18 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by is250gurl
The USB option worked for me although it has issues such as many of the same songs played over and over.
Yeah, that happens when you set it to Random play. They aren't going to do anything about this. I escalated this and their techs say "it's working as designed".
Old 10-17-16, 02:31 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The USB option works great for me. I use a PC to rip music files from CDs, organize the music files into folders, modify the titles to suit (if needed), and load the result on a thumb drive. It is then easy to browse through the selections using the screen and pad in my NX. If left alone, the system plays the files in the order set up on the thumb drive.
Old 10-17-16, 07:23 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Koetsu
The USB option works great for me. I use a PC to rip music files from CDs, organize the music files into folders, modify the titles to suit (if needed), and load the result on a thumb drive. It is then easy to browse through the selections using the screen and pad in my NX. If left alone, the system plays the files in the order set up on the thumb drive.
In doing so, are you still able to hear Bluetooth audio? For example, using your phone's GPS guidance thru Bluetooth and USB for music?
Old 10-17-16, 07:50 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by d8168055
In doing so, are you still able to hear Bluetooth audio? For example, using your phone's GPS guidance thru Bluetooth and USB for music?
Haven't tried that. I use the native Lexus Nav which, of course, does not conflict with the music playback.
Old 10-27-16, 09:14 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by d8168055
No. This you will only hear guidance instructions from your phone if you are streaming Bluetooth audio.
Old 10-27-16, 09:19 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Originally Posted by DBCOM
Hey folks! So, previous had an Iphone which was detected via USB no problem to play music. I've recently switched over to Samsung Galaxy S7 and seems my only option is Bluetooth to play my tunes as it won't detect via USB. I also tried to put some MP3s on a flash drive which I formatted FAT32, and although it enables the USB option in the source options, doesn't seem to load the music / playlist. I didn't create any folders or anything and copied all of the MP3 directly on the root of the drive.... any tips or ideas on what I'm doing wrong here? Anyone else use an Android device and has alternative options to play music aside from Bluetooth? Thanks!
Yes, unfortunately, I've never been able to get a vehicle to read the USB drive through an Android phone. Because it's not technically a plain old storage device, it probably never well. Even on a Windows PC, drivers are needed to get access to the phone storage.

How many songs do you have copied on the USB drive? I wonder if there is a limit to how many files can be contained within a single directory and if you have exceeded it by not using folders?

As a last solution, Bluetooth audio with my Galaxy S7 (SM-G930W8 on Android 6.0.1) using the stock Samsung Music app works flawlessly with the vehicle for browsing through media, instant connection when starting-up and all audio controls.
Old 10-27-16, 09:20 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
No. This you will only hear guidance instructions from your phone if you are streaming Bluetooth audio.
There is one way... If you're using Google Maps and you choose route guidance to play as a "call" instead of through Bluetooth streaming, the car will handle the turn by turn directions as a call and pause the music and resume it once the directions are spoken.
Attached Thumbnails Music via USB in NX-photo54.jpg  
Old 10-27-16, 09:30 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Originally Posted by yardie876
There is one way... If you're using Google Maps and you choose route guidance to play as a "call" instead of through Bluetooth streaming, the car will handle the turn by turn directions as a call and pause the music and resume it once the directions are spoken.
Interesting find! I've been using Google Maps for years and never knew that feature existed. Although, it would annoying to get a "call" through the car for guidance. Also, the guidance would have to set to come on earlier to account for the lag in the phone sending a "call", the NX receiving it and then answering the call to hear the guidance directions.