Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where do you stand on the gaping grille trend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-16, 11:17 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Where do you stand on the gaping grille trend?

A gape grille is like having a big nose/nostrils and weak chin. It just looks insubstantial.
You know how they say a person's face is beautiful if the eyes/nose/mouth occupy only a certain percentage of the face? It's about proportions.

Toyota probably realized this with the Highlander, which came out with a dumpy looking face. Now the refresh looks so much more balanced and aggressive with a smaller main grille. No longer looks like a pig from Angry Birds.

Can you imagine the mustang with a bigass hole for a face?

Hyundai went and put a gape grille on one of its Sonata trims. The regular trims have balanced facial features.

Old 10-15-16, 11:50 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

audi manages to pull it off well, imo.
Old 10-15-16, 11:53 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate it, very much.
MB/BMW/Porsche haven't caught up to it, thank god for that!
Old 10-15-16, 12:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Where do you stand on the gaping grille trend?
On the fence. There's some applications I find attractive, others not really.

The refreshed IS non F-Sport looks pretty sharp now without that lower honeycomb IMO

Old 10-15-16, 12:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
audi manages to pull it off well, imo.
Not as well as they once did. IMO Audi grilles looked MUCH better before they went to the Gape-O-Matic look.

Old 10-15-16, 12:43 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It depends on the car, but in general I'm okay with it.

Its funny you mention the Highlander. To me the new grill looks bigger and more "in your face" but I like both so I'm fine with it.
Old 10-15-16, 01:20 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

It's just one of those phases, which I think is getting old already. Someone will come up with something new soon and this trend will finally be over.
Old 10-15-16, 01:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
It's just one of those phases, which I think is getting old already. Someone will come up with something new soon and this trend will finally be over.
Yup, like any styling trend, this one has been around a while and before long the next in-thing will appear. It will be interesting to see who does it first.
Old 10-15-16, 02:00 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I think it looks terrible on most cars to be honest. I don't care for it on most of the current Lexus'.
Old 10-15-16, 07:28 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I hate it, very much.
MB/BMW/Porsche haven't caught up to it, thank god for that!
Both Mercedes-Benz and BMW have long-established and recognizable grille shapes, and how the grille fits within the front-end style of the vehicle; a large grille that extends down below the bumper just does not fit that established, trademark style. Porsche also has a well-established front end style of the hood sloping down to meet the front bumper; there is no room in the Porsche style for a large grille.

Other brands that have adopted the large grille did not have a well-established, instantly-recognizable style. Lexus is trying to establish a recognizable style; it just so happens to be a large grille that extends from the hood down to below the bumper. Infiniti, however, to its credit, had a recognizable shape, which it is now refining and adapting to all its vehicles, even on cars that have a hood that slopes down to meet the front bumper.

Honda and Toyota, as other examples, have never had a recognizable grille shape that symbolized the brand. Both are now trying to do that, with Honda perhaps having better success (its shield) at adopting a style that it is trying to implement across its whole lineup.
Old 10-15-16, 10:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The facelifted Highlander has a much bigger gape and grille than the last. You have it backwards. There once was a bumper running between the sections, now there's no bumper to be seen. I like the newer look. It's very modern, edgy, masculine, and Lexus GX-like. Other gapes aren't as attractive, like the Avalon and Camry, which look like a fish out of water.
Old 10-15-16, 10:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not as well as they once did. IMO Audi grilles looked MUCH better before they went to the Gape-O-Matic look.

Started out that way, yes. I had the exact model pictured above, then the facelift quickly dated my car. There was a learning curve with the Audi grilles. The first gape on the A4 and A6 was ugly and too much. Then, Audi toned it down with future models, cut off the upper edges, and add some shape to the perimeter Much better today and future Audis will have an even slimmer gape (next A8). Ford and Hyundai pretty much went the Audi route. Kia and BMW have not. Kia's front styling sits okay with me, but BMW's split kidney grille is severely out-dated now compared to the other big players. After thirty years of the exact same grille shape, it's time for a change there.
Old 10-15-16, 10:44 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
On the fence. There's some applications I find attractive, others not really.

The refreshed IS non F-Sport looks pretty sharp now without that lower honeycomb IMO

One thing that I really like with this facelift is how they finally reconnected the lower front airdam with the side panel (just below the foglight). The former model always looked like the joints were never glued together properly, leading to a cheapened, unfinished appearance. Now it's all one piece, as it is on all other cars.
Old 10-16-16, 02:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Ford and Hyundai pretty much went the Audi route. Kia and BMW have not. Kia's front styling sits okay with me, but BMW's split kidney grille is severely out-dated now compared to the other big players. After thirty years of the exact same grille shape, it's time for a change there.
Kia's newer Tiger-grille is a little garish-looking itself, though not to the same extent as some of the others you've need.

I'd rate the new RX350 as (arguably) the most garish-looking grille of all. In my book, it is the very definition of the term.

Old 10-16-16, 09:25 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it works well on most cars. Toyotas always have awkward styling so it comes as no surprise that they find ways to make their cars look ugly to some degree.

Lexus did a great job implementing it on their sedans but all of their SUVs look downright stupid. When I was at a auto show earlier this year even my friends who weren't that into cars felt that the Lexus SUV grilles looked cheap because there is so much visible plastic on them.

God bless the base model RX trims. What a horrendously ugly vehicle. Saw one of these in beige parked the other day, I would've loved to see a video of my facial expressions when I came across the thing.

Quick Reply: Where do you stand on the gaping grille trend?