LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Quietest all season vs summer tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-16, 01:24 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Quietest all season vs summer tires?

Hello, I have the stocks 18s and looking to replace the tires. I went through a bunch of threads recommending the michelin AS 3+ or others but all are All Season recommendations. I live in S. Florida and never see temps before 50.

However, I also want a very quiet, smooth Lexus LS460 ride. Should I go summer tire and and if so which ones, etc?
Old 10-13-16, 02:11 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

After reading many reviews of people on here using the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus. I went ahead and bought a set and within 1 week of owning them I've notice so much improvement in a lot of categories. I can't believe how smooth and quite these tires are and they handle really well in wet and dry roads. If I've known I would've bought them sooner.
Old 10-13-16, 03:03 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AznRacer
After reading many reviews of people on here using the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus. I went ahead and bought a set and within 1 week of owning them I've notice so much improvement in a lot of categories. I can't believe how smooth and quite these tires are and they handle really well in wet and dry roads. If I've known I would've bought them sooner.
Thanks for the feedback, have you ever had the michelins before to compare?
Old 10-13-16, 11:41 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I would use the CONTINENTAL 06 DWS before any other all season tires. You get closer to summer tire performance with it without compromising any of the all season features. It's a matter of Ultra Hi Perf. over grand touring. The DWS's exceed my expectation of what an all season tire should be able to do. And besides that Continental is a very classy company/cant't speak for Pirelli.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....RatingsReviews

Old 10-26-16, 10:03 PM
cpcc
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Michelin latitude HP ++> awesomely quiet
Old 10-26-16, 10:11 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
I would use the CONTINENTAL 06 DWS before any other all season tires. You get closer to summer tire performance with it without compromising any of the all season features. It's a matter of Ultra Hi Perf. over grand touring. The DWS's exceed my expectation of what an all season tire should be able to do. And besides that Continental is a very classy company/cant't speak for Pirelli.
I agree with you about the Contis, a few years ago I had the DWS's on a 2002 Audi S8, and they were quiet and handled well. But like leonrojo18, it doesn't get that cold here in NorCal and I never took the car to Tahoe in the snow (I wish I had).

For Florida, I don't see the need for all seasons if the car will never snow. Had I kept the S8 longer than 2 years, I would have switched to a summer tire for sure. But that car wasn't screwed together like a Lexus so it wasn't a great experience.

When the Bridgestones are toast on my LS, I'll probably be getting the Pirellis based on the excellent feedback here.
Old 10-27-16, 07:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I would and did choose the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus. Very happy with them. If your main objective is a smooth quiet ride, chasing an Ultra High Performance tire over a Grand Touring tire makes no sense.

Originally Posted by cpcc
Michelin latitude HP ++> awesomely quiet
Those are SUV tires just FYI
Old 10-27-16, 12:58 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

I love my Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus.

Dennis
Old 10-28-16, 10:45 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Kumho Ecsta LE Sport, according to Tire Rack, is the quietest tire they've tested. It also performed quite well and is priced right.

I Have Ohtsu FP8000 tires which were taken over from the Falken FK452. They are the same tire. They are priced right and are very quiet. They used to be the quietest tire back in the day.
Old 10-28-16, 11:49 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Kumho Ecsta LE Sport, according to Tire Rack, is the quietest tire they've tested. It also performed quite well and is priced right.

I Have Ohtsu FP8000 tires which were taken over from the Falken FK452. They are the same tire. They are priced right and are very quiet. They used to be the quietest tire back in the day.
I spoke to a rep at Tire Rack and he said the following about the Kumho: "The LE Sport is a Summer only tire and would not be all that good in temps below 40F.
They would not be a year round tire like the Pirellis. The P7 are a very strong year round tire."

For some others, this tire would serve to be an excellent choice. But living in the climate I live in, I have to take this bit of information very seriously, however, choices and feedback are great to have.

Thanks Chris.
Old 10-28-16, 12:00 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by leonrojo18
Thanks for the feedback, have you ever had the michelins before to compare?
Yes, I had michelins, bridgestone, and continental before. They all were good tires don't get me wrong but for soft and quite IMO the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus is top.
The following users liked this post:
MBH (05-05-21)
Old 10-28-16, 04:48 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I spoke to a rep at Tire Rack and he said the following about the Kumho: "The LE Sport is a Summer only tire and would not be all that good in temps below 40F.
They would not be a year round tire like the Pirellis. The P7 are a very strong year round tire."

For some others, this tire would serve to be an excellent choice. But living in the climate I live in, I have to take this bit of information very seriously, however, choices and feedback are great to have.

Thanks Chris.
Absolutely. In fact both of those tires I mentioned are Summer only. That's why I posted the info, because he asked this:
Should I go summer tire and and if so which ones, etc?
Old 10-30-16, 09:47 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

so how do the Pirelli P7s compare as far as quietness and ride to a true summer tire, head to head?

since the OP is in South Florida, poor performance below 40 degrees is not an issue. He will have some rain storms, so only weather issue to contend with is how they do in water. But a summer tire might well be fine and could be quieter than the Pirellis?

I don't need car tires right now (will need SUV tires soon), but in california, I am wondering similar things as the OP is

There is no need for all seasons in such warm climates, but if they are just as quite and nice a ride as the best summer tires , then the Pirellis are worth it! (in case of occasional trip into mountains where it could be under 40 degrees, or freak weather in southern florida where it freezes)
Old 10-30-16, 10:52 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I replace to pirelli p7 from kumho solus. Maybe the rubber of pirelli is not broken in yet, I find the kumho is as quiet as the Pirelli. Then My car is in the body shop 2 days after for deer damage fix. Now I haven't got my car back yet for almost 1 month. I stuck with Hyundai Accent for a month now
Old 10-30-16, 03:58 PM
NJToany
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso

Agreed. I have not gotten the chance to buy new tires for my LS yet, but these are the best all season tires I purchased for my prior vehicle. They are best all around for summer but also winter. I live in NJ and I get super excited when it snows HEAVY. I would wake up a lot earlier, start my Acura RL (AWD) and just be ken block all over town lol.... The Continental DWS will be most likely the tire I will always buy. I have 20s on my RL, wrapped with the low profiles, and ride quality remained excellent. I never lost any traction (that I didn't purposely do) in any weather conditions. BUY IT!

Quick Reply: Quietest all season vs summer tires?