GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Trade '11 Pilot for GX470? (no off-roading or towing)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-16, 12:29 PM
whiggy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trade '11 Pilot for GX470? (no off-roading or towing)

I've been lurking on this forum (and a few others) for the past few weeks trying to learn as much about the GX470. For some inexplicable reason I had gone to ih8mud forums and saw all the awesomeness that (even just stock) GX470 is capable of for off-roading. Then I came to this forum...and the 120 one... Long story short, I want one now.

Now, I've never off-roaded any of my vehicles and unfortunately neither have time, nor I live in a place for something like that. If I got a GX it would be on the paved roads "five nines" (99.999%) of the time. Would I be insane trading my 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD with 86K on the odo for an '08 or '09 GX with around 100K miles (plus-minus 20-30K)? Nothing wrong with my Pilot, runs like a champ, no issues whatsoever. Great utility vehicle... but for some reason I am very bored with it. You know how you lock your car when you walk away and then turn around to give it one more look before you go wherever you are going? Yeah, that...I never do that with my Pilot.

So... I'd spend more money for a car that's older and with more miles, that I do not really need...Could someone please talk some sense into me? Anyone gone thru something similar before?
Old 10-12-16, 01:33 PM
yackowski
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha, that's a tough call, man. I average 16.9 mpg mostly highway - 13 ish in the city. How did that make you feel? lol

95k Miles and I've Replaced:
Alternator
Air Bags
Suspension
Front Wheel Bearings

I need to replace:
Timing belt/water pump.
My exhaust manifold leaks and my GX sounds like (to quote another guy on the forum) an 86 Monty Carlo for the first few minutes of my morning drive.

That being said.. I still dig it

I think the point I am trying to make here (if any) is that you will likely need to budget quite a bit of maintenance/fuel, along with any potential trade/payments. My .02 - I'd drive the Honda until the wheels fall off and then buy an old GX, if you still have the bug. I drove the wheels off my last Honda and did just that .

Cole
Old 10-12-16, 04:43 PM
ScatAdams
Rookie

I drive a 2013 Honda Pilot at work with like 30k miles and that thing feels like its falling apart compared to my 05 GX with 170k miles. I'd make the swap in a heart beat.
Old 10-12-16, 08:33 PM
whiggy
Driver School Candidate

yackowski, I am not that concerned with the gas mileage; it's not all that great with the Pilot either. And as far as the maintenance, I guess all those could go on any car. Pilot has weak compliance bushings, motor mounts, and a few other things. Timing belt replacement is due at 105K for it too. But yea, I should probably keep it... the problem is I've caught this bug with the GX....

Hey, ScatAdams, you are not helping here, man!!!
All kidding aside, your work Pilot is probably like that since it's, you know... a work car. My Pilot is tight, feels solid, and drives nicely. And that is a big part of my problem... I wish it was all crappy and falling apart; then I'd have a real reason.
Old 10-12-16, 09:25 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by ScatAdams
I drive a 2013 Honda Pilot at work with like 30k miles and that thing feels like its falling apart compared to my 05 GX with 170k miles. I'd make the swap in a heart beat.
Comparing real body on frame truck vs. Isn't Pilot unibody? In between how about Toyota 4 Runner(4 litre V6) body on frame? For myself I don't need V8 which is hard on MPG. Can't justify owning one. Wife also will complain higher ground clearance. Good used GX is hard to come by. Looks like owners are keeping them forever, LOL!
Old 10-12-16, 10:41 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The GX is a markedly better vehicle than the Pilot, that's why it costs more when new. Body on frame, build quality, power, longitudinal layout versus transverse layout, these are all advantages of a GX. I know two people who own Pilots of different ages. The older one isn't too bad but the newer one is a POS in my opinion. It even has plastic door latches, how on earth did the NHTSA let that one slip by?

You're not crazy to think about trading up to an older higher mileage GX, because you are indeed trading up. Even if you never offroad it.
Old 10-13-16, 05:34 AM
whiggy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
... how about Toyota 4 Runner(4 litre V6) body on frame...
oh, yeah, I've been looking at those too but the used ones of that vintage (08-09) cost about the same as GX. Also, they had many different configuration options so it's hard to find a used one that has all the accouterments that I would want. At least with the GX you know you get a lot as standard (leather and whatnot... i know... blah, blah...)
Old 10-13-16, 05:42 AM
whiggy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LoneHiker
... Body on frame, build quality, power, longitudinal layout versus transverse layout, ...
Speaking of these advantages, can anyone tell me how the driving dynamics of GX (non KDSS) compare, being body on frame, vs unibody crossovers, like Pilot and the likes? More body roll?
Old 10-13-16, 06:37 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The Pilot isn't bad - they last a long time and are reliable if you do the maintenance (had a Ridgeline, cousin to the Pilot, and I still miss it).

But the GX is in an entirely different class. If you can tolerate 12-13 mpg in town (click my signature image), it's a sweet ride.

Chip H.
Old 10-13-16, 11:28 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Keep in mind based on location a GX470 can get better gas mileage while loosing some power. Here in the Denver area I get 17-23mpg on it routinely. (in Texas it was the normal 13-18mpg). High altitude = less air so less fuel is used in the same time. Forced induction would of course cancel this effect.

Mine is a 06' with KDSS and I'm planning to keep it near forever I think. 97,000 miles and I've done alternator, and timing belt. Other than that just keeping up on oil changes and the little stuff.

Last edited by shadowmite; 10-13-16 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-13-16, 12:00 PM
whiggy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
The Pilot isn't bad - they last a long time and are reliable if you do the maintenance....
I know... so annoying... gives me no excuse

As far as mileage, I am on highways at least 80% of the time so should not be that bad.
Old 10-13-16, 12:02 PM
whiggy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shadowmite
High altitude = less air so less fuel is used in the same time.
I am at zero altitude... FL
Old 10-13-16, 01:08 PM
HDavidB
Driver School Candidate

I've done a few 2 and 3 hour road trips in a family members 2011 Pilot, it was okay for fuel consumption and comfort having 5 or 6 people along for the ride.

Recently had the chance to upgrade vehicles and traded in my GS300 for the GX470.
The ride comfort and space is much better... love the look of the GX470 over the Pilot, the interior is so much nicer !!

My first issue with buying a car is build quality and easy of repair ( I'm a DIY guy ).
Next is how it looks ( curb appeal ) and feels when I'm sitting in it !!

Good Luck with your decision.. its a tough one !!
Old 10-13-16, 02:28 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by whiggy
Speaking of these advantages, can anyone tell me how the driving dynamics of GX (non KDSS) compare, being body on frame, vs unibody crossovers, like Pilot and the likes? More body roll?
Compared to the newer Pilots, the GX is taller and narrow. For those reasons it really doesn't handle all that great. It is a much better chassis setup, and when you have the shocks set to their firmest mode, it manages to have a fairly high performance driving feel despite the disadvantages of its shape. The Pilot handles like a minivan at all times, but with the GX you can select soft and squishy or firm. Mine stays on firm all the time.
Old 10-13-16, 10:40 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I do think though over the years Honda quality has fallen behind Toyotas. Honda seems to have really struggled with their transmissions over the years. But neither one seems to be as reliable as they were in the early 90's when all of them seemed to just run forever.

The GX is probably about the same on the reliability vs a similar vintage Honda Pilot, but the GX unquestionably a much higher end vehicle. It's basically a smaller Land Cruiser and feels like a tank. I have a relative with a brand new $80k plus Mercedes SUV and it honestly put sit to shame. The Mercedes just feels like a tin can.

So you'll probably spend about the same in money on upkeep. The GX big issues are the rear air suspension (if it hasn't been replaced, budget for that) and the exhaust manifolds, and the radiators. I've had a few random issues like my speedometer cluster went out, center differential leaks, CV boots ripped at low miles, and a few other things, but otherwise it's been a solid, reliable vehicle with the normal maintenance requirements.

Last edited by BradTank; 10-13-16 at 10:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Trade '11 Pilot for GX470? (no off-roading or towing)