RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Next Batch of Japanese Classics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-16, 11:19 AM
LDEUX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Next Batch of Japanese Classics?

I had a discussion about what will the new batch of Japanese "classics" be in 15-20 years from now with a friend of mine. We debated about the RC-F though. Here's my list:

IS-F
BRZ/FRS
R35
350z/370z
G35 Coupe
STI
EVO (especially since it's been discontinued)
RC-F
GS-F, maybe?
NSX, maybe not? Those batteries may be a deal breaker.

What's your list? Agree or disagree with mine? Chime in!
Old 10-12-16, 03:25 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LDEUX
I had a discussion about what will the new batch of Japanese "classics" be in 15-20 years from now with a friend of mine. We debated about the RC-F though. Here's my list:

IS-F
BRZ/FRS
R35
350z/370z
G35 Coupe
STI
EVO (especially since it's been discontinued)
RC-F
GS-F, maybe?
NSX, maybe not? Those batteries may be a deal breaker.

What's your list? Agree or disagree with mine? Chime in!
I think the RCF should be. It is really such a great car and does not garner near the respect or admiration it should. These things sell for so far below what they are worth.
Old 10-12-16, 09:25 PM
AllenISF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S2000

(not bias)
Old 10-13-16, 06:21 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

IMO these I could definitely see as classics someday

LFA
S2000
GTR/R35
NSX
IS-F (especially the first model year)

These I'm not 100% sold on as being classics yet, but I could see it happening)

RC F
GS F
350Z
EVO
"New" Supra (assuming Toyota finally brings it back.) Actually IMO past Supra's are already somewhat considered classics.

Just throwing this one out there for the heck of it to see what others think..

RX7-?
Miata -? (it has a cult like following)
Old 10-14-16, 11:02 AM
LDEUX
Rookie

Originally Posted by AllenISF
S2000

(not bias)
I didn't add the S2000 because it's already a classic! It's production run stopped like 5-6 years ago but it first came on the scene in 1999. Wow, that was nearly 20 years ago already!
Old 10-14-16, 11:09 AM
LDEUX
Rookie

Originally Posted by JT4
IMO these I could definitely see as classics someday

LFA
S2000
GTR/R35
NSX
IS-F (especially the first model year)

These I'm not 100% sold on as being classics yet, but I could see it happening)

RC F
GS F
350Z
EVO
"New" Supra (assuming Toyota finally brings it back.) Actually IMO past Supra's are already somewhat considered classics.

Just throwing this one out there for the heck of it to see what others think..

RX7-?
Miata -? (it has a cult like following)
RX7 and Miata are already classics IMO. The RX7's production run ended in '02. I guess I should have said Japanese sports cars made 2005 and later? What reservations do you have against the 350Z & RC-F?

Cheers!
Old 10-14-16, 11:14 AM
LDEUX
Rookie

Originally Posted by DougHII
I think the RCF should be. It is really such a great car and does not garner near the respect or admiration it should. These things sell for so far below what they are worth.
I agree! That's why I bought one and intend on keeping it as part of my collection! I think a lot of hate comes from 1. the BMW M & AMG loyalist and 2. it's weight. The majority of it's criticisms surround it's Frankenstein chassis. Can you image how much better it would perform if it were 350-450 lbs. lighter??
Old 10-14-16, 01:56 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

RX7 and Miata are already classics IMO. The RX7's production run ended in '02. I guess I should have said Japanese sports cars made 2005 and later? What reservations do you have against the 350Z & RC-F?

Cheers!
Honestly, I don't really have strong reservations against them. As for the RCF, I guess since it came out in 2015 I can't foresee it as a classic yet, it's not meant to be a knock on the car just one person's initial feeling at this time. The 350z, I just don't know if I can see it being a classic like the the Datsun 240z of the 1970's. But who knows..time will tell.
Old 10-14-16, 03:09 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I liked the 350z. I owned 2 of them. But in my mind, the classics are usually the cars that weren't produced in large numbers. The 350z is very common.

The RC F will be a classic IMO not only because of what it is, but also because of it's rarity.
Old 10-14-16, 06:47 PM
Danblanco
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree! That's why I bought one and intend on keeping it as part of my collection! I think a lot of hate comes from 1. the BMW M & AMG loyalist and 2. it's weight. The majority of it's criticisms surround it's Frankenstein chassis. Can you image how much better it would perform if it were 350-450 lbs. lighter??
I Agree! How many years are they gonna make the RCF?
Old 10-14-16, 08:06 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Classic in my mind is a car that stands the test of time, at least 20 years. If any of the cars u listed are around in 20 years, then they've earned the Classic title.
Old 10-14-16, 08:40 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

My first car way back in the early 80s was a 1978 British Racing Green with tan interior. Those lines are classic to me.

The S2000 and Miata are absolutely brilliant handling little cars, but I am just not sure about the lines. Perhaps the S2000 has the looks to be a true classic. The Miata does not, I don't like the lines of the 350Z and the Infinitis are too bland and sterile. Not sure how you would classify an ISF as a potential classic with its looks and bland, sterile styling. GTR and LFA for sure, but c'mon . . . The LFA is a supercar so of course it will be a classic. It already is.

I had the RCF parked close to a street light tonight. The orange looks super cool under a street light, but the lines and shadows or shaded areas on the car from its lines are just super touch and unique. If it had a turbo engine and a case that could handle modifications and a lot of boost . . . the RCF would be an instant classic waiting to happen and the weight wouldn't mean so much. If the RCF had FI, it would then be on par with the A80 Supra turbo which also has incredible lines with that tail.

IMO, its more a torque issue than weight issue with the RCF. The NA just doesn't have the low end, super flat torque curve of the forced inductions. GTRs are not light either. Its all about forced induction these days for blazing acceleration in this reasonable price range.
Old 10-15-16, 12:57 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

I had the RCF parked close to a street light tonight. The orange looks super cool under a street light, but the lines and shadows or shaded areas on the car from its lines are just super touch and unique. If it had a turbo engine and a case that could handle modifications and a lot of boost . . . the RCF would be an instant classic waiting to happen and the weight wouldn't mean so much. If the RCF had FI, it would then be on par with the A80 Supra turbo which also has incredible lines with that tail.

IMO, its more a torque issue than weight issue with the RCF. The NA just doesn't have the low end, super flat torque curve of the forced inductions. GTRs are not light either. Its all about forced induction these days for blazing acceleration in this reasonable price range.
We don't know what the aftermarket is going to unleash in the RC F as of yet. I'm certain that the engine internals can handle over 1000 bhp. We'll just have to wait and see.

The Supra wasn't considered anything special until the aftermarket got a hold of it.
Old 10-15-16, 09:11 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Davew77
We don't know what the aftermarket is going to unleash in the RC F as of yet. I'm certain that the engine internals can handle over 1000 bhp. We'll just have to wait and see.

The Supra wasn't considered anything special until the aftermarket got a hold of it.
Lol, how old are you? I was in my 20s and a die hard German (Porsche) guy when it came out and it actually got my respect and admiration. I loved the tail and wasn't it like a mid 4 second 0 - 60 (about like the RCF) 20 years ago which was comparable to the 993 Porsche turbo of the same time period and considerably quicker than mid 5s of the 993 NA of the mid to late 90s. Wasn't the NSX also an upper 4 to mid 5 second during this same time frame? A 355 was also mid to upper 4s.

The Supra turbo was bad **** for its time, but the US market, back then as well as today, just doesn't seem inclined to drop big $$$s on Japanese sports coupes regardless of performance. I occasionally scan eBay for a Supra Turbo and have been very tempted to pull the trigger on one. I just don't have a place to park it.

The RCF has great lines . . .
Attached Thumbnails Next Batch of Japanese Classics?-img_2197-3.jpg  
Old 10-16-16, 01:08 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Lol, how old are you? I was in my 20s and a die hard German (Porsche) guy when it came out and it actually got my respect and admiration. I loved the tail and wasn't it like a mid 4 second 0 - 60 (about like the RCF) 20 years ago which was comparable to the 993 Porsche turbo of the same time period and considerably quicker than mid 5s of the 993 NA of the mid to late 90s. Wasn't the NSX also an upper 4 to mid 5 second during this same time frame? A 355 was also mid to upper 4s.

The Supra turbo was bad **** for its time, but the US market, back then as well as today, just doesn't seem inclined to drop big $$$s on Japanese sports coupes regardless of performance. I occasionally scan eBay for a Supra Turbo and have been very tempted to pull the trigger on one. I just don't have a place to park it.

The RCF has great lines . . .
Then your Porsche must have been a slow car in the mid to late 90's. I had no problem beating "stock" turbo Supras on the street or on the strip in my LS1 SS Camaro. They were close, but I'd walk them by a few cars in a 1/4, and I'd hardly consider the LS1 f body Camaro to be a classic or worthy of praise over the majority of sports car available during the era, and it was also a mid 4 second 0-60 car. I ran a best of 12.8 in the 1/4 in my stock SS with a 1.8 60'. If you're basing a classic solely on the stock performance, then a large majority of sports cars are classics.

The aftermarket is where the turbo Supra got respect, at least from us die hard American enthusiasts. It was one of the very few "ricers" that I respected. But only in the aftermarket. I don't know about the German scene...

I guess you're older and have different views than myself. To each his own.

Edit: OT; That stock SS 1/4 mile time was with 103-105 mph trap as well (I forget, but I always trapped in that range when stock). That's how I know for sure that the RC F can run faster than a 12.8 1/4 mile since they trap 110-113 mph. The trouble seems to be with getting the power on the pavement during the launch. My SS didn't run low profile tires when stock. That makes a huge difference in a launch (hence the 1.8 60'). Sidewall is key in launching.

I was never able to break into the 1.9s with my stock 350z due to the low profile 245s (but I was darn close at 2.00x). Only a couple of drivers ever did in a stock 350z to the best of my knowledge. Modded is another story...

Last edited by Davew77; 10-16-16 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Next Batch of Japanese Classics?