NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

1 Year on; is the love still there?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-16, 05:36 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 1 Year on; is the love still there?

Well yes. There are definately some great points but alot of work needs to be done if its going to keep up with the German onslaught of updated compact Suvs. Mines a 2015/2016 200t fsport loaded.
Good points;
1.As always, great Lexus service, can't be faulted.
2.Head up display is a licence saver. Can't live without it now. Definite must have in any new car.
3. Ditto the 360 camera. Saved thousands in potentially dented body work and rims.
4. 2litre turbo engine. Ok, so you get an occassional vibration at 600rpms and there's some lag but compared to the tired 2.5 hybrid, its a rocket ship.
5. Looks. People still comment . Interestingly its usually women who describe it as a ' beautiful' design.
6. Seats. May feel firm at first but within months they are incredibly soft and supple.
7.Size, Spot on for my needs.

Not so good.
1. Build quality. Rattles, rattles and some rattles. In the dealer for a major metallic clunk which I was told was everything from front suspension to the Lexus installed side steps. They stripped everything and they fixed it. Similarly the rubbish plastic stick on bits that don't stick back on if removed due to repairs. They're stuck on with double sided sticky tape and there's already mention in other forums of them peeling off in hot humid countries. Someone lost the memo on 'pursuit of perfection'.
2.safety aids are good but over zealous. The lane keep assist thinks its playing table tennis the way in ricochets you from one lane strip to the next.
3. Over active stability control. Absolute kill joy. Truelly embarrassing the way in cuts power so the car hesitates and bucks like a DSG Volkswagen.
4.Poor Fuel economy with the 2l turbo. I can see a class action coming.
5.Plasticy interior. Didn't realise how subrent the centre console was until I sat in an RX. By the way my loaded fsport costs the same as a 200t RX.
6. Mark Levinson stereo, its OK.
7. Last but not least and most annoying is NOISE. Its s noisy vehicle with alot of wind and noise intrusion . Fatiguing on long drives and I've taken to using my CT on longer drives.Thicker glass and noise installation badly needed.
Old 10-08-16, 07:12 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Honeymoon is over but I'd say we still have a strong positive relationship. Almost 2 years into the relationship this December.

I have no major complaints with the NX. It's been solid, reliable, roomy, practical, and pretty comfortable, with sexy looks to boot. Love the HUD for sure!

Fuel economy is OK and I agree with the overactive stability control which dangerously cuts power at times you need to accelerate quickly.

Very happy overall still.
Old 10-09-16, 08:33 AM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
Well yes. There are definitely some great points but a lot of work needs to be done if its going to keep up with the German onslaught of updated compact Suvs. Mines a 2015/2016 200t fsport loaded.
So which is it, a '15 or '16 can't be both.
Old 10-09-16, 11:01 AM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
Well yes. There are definately some great points but alot of work needs to be done if its going to keep up with the German onslaught of updated compact Suvs. Mines a 2015/2016 200t fsport loaded.
Good points;
1.As always, great Lexus service, can't be faulted.
2.Head up display is a licence saver. Can't live without it now. Definite must have in any new car.
3. Ditto the 360 camera. Saved thousands in potentially dented body work and rims.
4. 2litre turbo engine. Ok, so you get an occassional vibration at 600rpms and there's some lag but compared to the tired 2.5 hybrid, its a rocket ship.
5. Looks. People still comment . Interestingly its usually women who describe it as a ' beautiful' design.
6. Seats. May feel firm at first but within months they are incredibly soft and supple.
7.Size, Spot on for my needs.

Not so good.
1. Build quality. Rattles, rattles and some rattles. In the dealer for a major metallic clunk which I was told was everything from front suspension to the Lexus installed side steps. They stripped everything and they fixed it. Similarly the rubbish plastic stick on bits that don't stick back on if removed due to repairs. They're stuck on with double sided sticky tape and there's already mention in other forums of them peeling off in hot humid countries. Someone lost the memo on 'pursuit of perfection'.
2.safety aids are good but over zealous. The lane keep assist thinks its playing table tennis the way in ricochets you from one lane strip to the next.
3. Over active stability control. Absolute kill joy. Truelly embarrassing the way in cuts power so the car hesitates and bucks like a DSG Volkswagen.
4.Poor Fuel economy with the 2l turbo. I can see a class action coming.
5.Plasticy interior. Didn't realise how subrent the centre console was until I sat in an RX. By the way my loaded fsport costs the same as a 200t RX.
6. Mark Levinson stereo, its OK.
7. Last but not least and most annoying is NOISE. Its s noisy vehicle with alot of wind and noise intrusion . Fatiguing on long drives and I've taken to using my CT on longer drives.Thicker glass and noise installation badly needed.
OP's good points:

Agreed for the most part. No engine vibration issues with my sample (200t Luxury option). I'd add the excellent LED headlights with their very effective automatic high-low beam function as a definite plus.

OP's not so good points:

1. Not a rattle or squeek in my sample. Assembly and fit are really tight.
2. Kind of agree, but I have adapted to them and find them very useful.
4. I achieve as good or better fuel economy compared to Lexus' claimed mpg.
5. Remember when comparing to the Germans that one is at ~ $5k less in an NX. And, even at that, some safety bits and the super LED headlights may be missing.
7. The NX could be quieter. I suspect that this will be addressed in the mid-model updates. Noise is very much road surface dependent.

Still a happy camper.

IMHO

Last edited by Koetsu; 10-10-16 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Fix spelling
Old 10-10-16, 07:37 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

2015 200t, 16 months now and overall I still like it.

- Lexus service is the best, but must say my dealer location is not convenient.
- size is perfect for my needs
- styling has grown on me especially the non F sport grill.
- everything works(mechanically) and no problems at all.

hates:
- touchpad, worst interface ever, it drives me bonky.
- Nav software. Most unfriendly user interface. I will never buy another Lexus with factory Nav.
- Memory seat buttons location. I am 6'1" and my left knee is exactly where Lexus decided to place the memory buttons. I am constantly hitting the buttons and ending up with my chin on the steering wheel.
- Premium fuel only! This is the first and last vehicle I will own that needs premium fuel. Will move to a Hybrid or maybe a 4RX.
- Enform service is lousy. Some of the apps don't work half the time. I won't be renewing.
Old 10-10-16, 05:42 PM
Yumyum
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2015 200t 14 months and I do enjoy it.

Pros:
1. Just the right size
2. Fun to drive
3. The front seats are very comfortable
4. Reliable
5. Sound system is not the best but doable
6. I average 25mpg in the city. But I don't have a lead foot.

Cons:
1. This is the first car that I have given a name. Unfortunately its name is "Rattle Bucket". The rattles are numerous. But there is one particular rattle that just drives me nuts and comes from the back. I have taken it to the dealer twice and they blame the rear seat belts. They told me to keep the seat belts fastened at all times and that would eliminate the rattle. Of course that does not eliminate the rattle nor is it an acceptable solution. I need to take it back a third time but I really don't like my dealership. They are way too busy to take the time to look for the rattle and don't seem to want to try.
2. The car vibrates at idle a lot. The last car I had that vibrated this much was an 80's Oldsmobile that shook so hard the rear view mirror fell off (Remember the 80s?). Once again my apathetic Lexus dealer won't even look at it, they just say it is normal.
3. I wish the car had less road noise. I hope the next update addresses this.
4. The touchpad can be infuriating. I use a laptop touchpad a lot. But this touchpad is painful to use and forget it when the road is even a little bumpy. Yes I have turned off the hepatic touch.
5. The Lexus voice system does not "get" me. People usually cannot figure out where I am from because I have no discernable accent. But "Rattle Bucket" has no idea what I am saying. Fortunately Siri understands me perfect so I only use that function.
6. The GPS has been flat out wrong a couple times. My previous Honda was much better and Honda's are not known for their GPS's
6. The remote start on my iPhone took too long and only worked sometimes so I gave up and didn't renew the subscription.

I do understand this is a new model and they need to work out the kinks. I do like the car. Hopefully Lexus is listening and will improve and improve again.
Old 10-11-16, 08:26 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I still like the car. It's the highest end vehicle I've ever owned but it has definitely left me a disappointed.

Lack of refinement....rattles, engine noise, ride quality etc.

Lack of features....many features were left off the car for the N.A. market.
Old 10-11-16, 11:54 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

in case there are future NX buyers lurking these trails, let me say my 2016 NX fsport is the tightest car i've ever owned; NO rattles at all, even on bumpy street.
My 2003 and 2010 RXs are/were rattle traps, but got used to it.
And I love the touch pad functionality and high tech appearance.
Old 10-11-16, 02:20 PM
dvdmull
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Went from Ford Explorer to Nissan Murano back to Ford Edge then to the NX 2016 F-Sport. Fords were nice but they have out priced themselves. Can't see 50K for new Explorer. The Murano was nice but fell apart at 30,000 miles from motor mounts leaky steering hoses to breaks. So now were with a Lexus. I'm very pleased so far with 4100 on the clock and 10 months later. I certainly babied the little 4 cylinder until it passed 1500 break-in. Just recently did the 10,000 mile oil change schedule way early because of the time that has past. I have taken the vehicle through it's rev's in all modes. I got tired of the engine fighting against itself trying to find the right gear so I leave it in regular mode. I feel the ECO mode shifts to early unless you put your foot into it.So I leave in the Reg. mode and happy. I enjoy the sport mode with shifter in manual and shift at 5500 RPM. The little motor really comes to life. Anyway so far so good.
Old 10-11-16, 03:40 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tresmith00
I still like the car. It's the highest end vehicle I've ever owned but it has definitely left me a disappointed. Lack of refinement....rattles, engine noise, ride quality etc. Lack of features....many features were left off the car for the N.A. market.
I just got out of a $65K 2017 Jaguar F Pace want to talk about a disappointment.
Old 10-13-16, 02:51 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MKenM
I just got out of a $65K 2017 Jaguar F Pace want to talk about a disappointment.
Really?! That's the car I'm looking to buy next. Please tell me your story.
Old 10-13-16, 03:55 PM
MKenM
Advanced

No story just simply put there were too many electronic bugs with the infotainment system, back up camera, wifi. bluetooth etc.They did fix the AC and suspension systems before I got rid of it. There are fixes around the corner for the F Pace. So my answer to you would be to wait till later on in the model year or hold tight for the 18's.
Old 10-15-16, 06:33 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MKenM
No story just simply put there were too many electronic bugs with the infotainment system, back up camera, wifi. bluetooth etc.They did fix the AC and suspension systems before I got rid of it. There are fixes around the corner for the F Pace. So my answer to you would be to wait till later on in the model year or hold tight for the 18's.
Ok I was looking to buy the 2018 model year or later. Hopefully they work out all the kinks by the then.
Old 10-19-16, 09:05 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Love the way it drives! I know I will be ridiculed for saying this, but I enjoy it more than the RC F I just traded in. Guess I am just not a car person anymore. The NX is just a great everyday vehicle...easy to drive, park, get in and out of. Still wish Mark Levinson, HUD, and surround view were available in the U.S for the NX.
Old 10-20-16, 08:22 AM
Bdwg22
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's been 18 months. I like the exterior and interior styling, build quality, and LED lighting. Things I don't like are the touchpad, left bottom bolster of F Sport seat, torque steer, and lack of storage. Had the F Pace or Macan 2.0 been available at the time of purchase my decision might have been different. I'll hang onto it another year or two until something new comes out.

Quick Reply: 1 Year on; is the love still there?