LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cadillac Style-CT6

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-16, 10:34 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Cadillac Style-CT6

They may not be back/but they are "cannonballing" the market with this one.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadil...-drive-review/
Old 10-07-16, 11:22 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

A friend purchased a CT6 a few weeks ago and I've driven it a few time but I wasn't impressed. Quality and craftsmanship isn't up to par and basically GM quality. . It wasn't as smooth and quiet as I expected. It's nice and high tech but the CT6 needs improving and its not in the LS 460 category.
Old 10-07-16, 12:07 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Interesting...
I'd have to assume its the same song regarding the new '16 Escalade.
Visually and how they come equip, Cadillac's are very attractive to the consumer base, but once you drive one, it seems that's when the excitement and expectation takes a nose dive.
About 2 months ago I test drove a loaded Escalade, and though it was appointed very nicely, and visually it was quite captivating, especially given the price tag, I was expecting one hell of a ride!
Needless to say, it grossly disappointed.
I felt, even as an SUV, it could have handled better, been more quiet, and had more initial torque.
Even while sitting there in the drivers seat and really observing the craftsmanship-button placement, gaps, threading, materials and the mass amount of plastic on a nearly $90k vehicle and still feeling a bit cramped in the 2nd row captains seat... I simply wasn't impressed.
I will say though, that the way the CT looks driving down the street is quite an attention grabber.
Old 10-07-16, 12:15 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
A friend purchased a CT6 a few weeks ago and I've driven it a few time but I wasn't impressed. Quality and craftsmanship isn't up to par and basically GM quality. . It wasn't as smooth and quiet as I expected. It's nice and high tech but the CT6 needs improving and its not in the LS 460 category.
Does your pal have the Turbo 6? Did it feel quick?

Now when you say quality only time will tell. I describe quality as the b-pilars don't peel when you touch them. The control arms don't fail before 100k. There is no hesitation after an oil change. The valve train springs and fuel system are free from defects. Brakes don't pulsate from glazing. Brake system doesn't click when you're at a stop sign. Further, when someone says quiet I think the LS is quiet unless there is a cross wind then all bets are off. My S-class with pano roof is liteyears beyond the LS in this regard with lower total cost of repairs. that was unexpected

*I get it 07-12 have these concerns and 13+ may be exempt or have less.

Last edited by superdenso; 10-07-16 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-07-16, 02:27 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the CT6 the more I see them around the Chicago Metro area. I also saw the new Continental just the other day.. So sad to say that its stubby front end kills it for me; it's essentially in the same realm as the XTS because Lincoln didn't choose to fully commit to the wonderful concept. But in terms of proportions and lines, the CT6 really does have compelling road presence and I am curious to see how they hold up. Although an unscientific/anecdotal gauge of its initial quality, some folks over at the Cadillac forum have been complaining about a rough ride, transmission hesitation, and a few other build quality related matters:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...lac-ct6-forum/

Might just be teething issues, but if it proves itself to be relatively reliable after a couple of years, I may take a look at a 3.6 AWD CPO in the 30-35k range. Cadillac can make reliable cars; we'll see if this is one them. Also curious about the G90, but that likely will hold value better. Both great looking cars, but the price, track record, and terms would have be incredible to get me out of my LS.

Last edited by droclex; 10-07-16 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-07-16, 02:53 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
Does your pal have the Turbo 6? Did it feel quick?

Now when you say quality only time will tell. I describe quality as the b-pilars don't peel when you touch them. The control arms don't fail before 100k. There is no hesitation after an oil change. The valve train springs and fuel system are free from defects. Brakes don't pulsate from glazing. Brake system doesn't click when you're at a stop sign. Further, when someone says quiet I think the LS is quiet unless there is a cross wind then all bets are off. My S-class with pano roof is liteyears beyond the LS in this regard with lower total cost of repairs. that was unexpected

*I get it 07-12 have these concerns and 13+ may be exempt or have less.
My brother in law is a service writer for Cadillac, I sent him your post...he nearly laughed his brains out. He said if you want to realize what Cadillac "quality" is like, you need buy one. Then you'll see exactly what a Cadillac is...and what you have is your LS.

He said be prepared for...your heated steering wheel to stop working, your engine guzzling oil before throwing your timing chain, be prepared for half your dash to not light up, expect to hear creaks and rattles from your dash (but they'll never be able to fix it), look out for many many "updates" that will reduce your engine's horsepower and limit your oil life monitor...also fully expect every ****, button and switch to need replacement, shortly after the finish wears off (which won't be long). Do you like check engine lights? Good, because expect that to come on every other month. And do you like rental cars? Excellent! Because Cadillac has some issues that techs can't seem to figure out right away...he said the wiring was an afterthought...lowest bidder...the sheathing has a way of rubbing off and grounding wires in places that are nearly impossible to find - which is why the cars sit there apart on the shop floor for days.

Please, by all means give them a try.

And I don't mean to change the subject, but I have a friend who is a BMW factory rep...see him two or three times a year. Last night he told me that BMW puts a life expectency on their cars, it's in writing...it's 100,000 miles. They actually expect their cars to last only 100,000 miles - which I found to be unbelievable - so I questioned him on it. He said with BMW's maintenance schedule, BMW believes/expects their own cars not to last past 100,000 miles. And they don't care. Don't care at all. My buddy says there's at least two engine jobs at every BMW dealer every day. The engines aren't making it past 50,000 miles.

I'll take control arm "problems" at 100,000.
Old 10-07-16, 03:16 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
My brother in law is a service writer for Cadillac, I sent him your post...he nearly laughed his brains out. He said if you want to realize what Cadillac "quality" is like, you need buy one. Then you'll see exactly what a Cadillac is...and what you have is your LS.

He said be prepared for...your heated steering wheel to stop working, your engine guzzling oil before throwing your timing chain, be prepared for half your dash to not light up, expect to hear creaks and rattles from your dash (but they'll never be able to fix it), look out for many many "updates" that will reduce your engine's horsepower and limit your oil life monitor...also fully expect every ****, button and switch to need replacement, shortly after the finish wears off (which won't be long). Do you like check engine lights? Good, because expect that to come on every other month. And do you like rental cars? Excellent! Because Cadillac has some issues that techs can't seem to figure out right away...he said the wiring was an afterthought...lowest bidder...the sheathing has a way of rubbing off and grounding wires in places that are nearly impossible to find - which is why the cars sit there apart on the shop floor for days.

And I don't mean to change the subject, but I have a friend who is a BMW factory rep...see him two or three times a year. Last night he told me that BMW puts a life expectency on their cars, it's in writing...it's 100,000 miles. They actually expect their cars to last only 100,000 miles - which I found to be unbelievable - so I questioned him on it. He said with BMW's maintenance schedule, BMW believes/expects their own cars not to last past 100,000 miles. And they don't care. Don't care at all. My buddy says there's at least two engine jobs at every BMW dealer every day. The engines aren't making it past 50,000 miles.

That sounds about right My 7 began belching blue smoke at 50k miles. It was all down hill from there. My wife's X5 fared a little better, but not by much.
Old 10-07-16, 04:14 PM
superdenso
Instructor

with a 5.7 ct6 we would have a different discussion
Old 10-07-16, 07:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I've driven a couple CT6s. Up at the top of the range they're way overpriced, when you hit that $65k area it can be an attractive package. It's a great looking car IMHO. Big thread about it in the CarChat forum.

Not it as nice a car as an LS, but it's a lot cheaper when you're in that mid 60s range.

Now, I drove a Genesis G90 today that I think is a MUCH better car. I'd buy a G90 over a CT6 for sure, and perhaps even over an LS.
Old 10-07-16, 07:29 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think LS is not as reliable as it used to be. My rx350 has no problem at all and probably I will waste my money on its extended warranty
Old 10-07-16, 07:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2v1g
I think LS is not as reliable as it used to be. My rx350 has no problem at all and probably I will waste my money on its extended warranty
Statistics on the matter would disagree. It's still one of the most reliable cars on the road. There are a few concerns depending on the year but you have that with all cars.
Old 10-08-16, 05:02 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Superdenso, agreed, with a 5.7 this would be a different discussion. But they're going to throw a turbo charged 4 or 6 in that car? Lol! This has disaster written all over it....a turbo engine by GM in a high end luxury automobile, my lord. You'd think GM would learn, but honestly they just don't care...never have...never will. Quality is not their MO...never has been, never will.

Put an LS engine in that thing and then I'm interested. I like the way the thing looks - actually I've always liked the way their cars look - hell even their Malibu's and Impala's look pretty damn nice right now, but I know enough about GM to understand how their products hold up.
Old 10-08-16, 05:08 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Statistics on the matter would disagree. It's still one of the most reliable cars on the road. There are a few concerns depending on the year but you have that with all cars.
You are 100% correct, statistically they are very much one of the most reliable cars on the road - that gets lost on a forum that concentrates on "how to" repairs and glorifies the reliability of previous models. Right now on the LS 430 side of the house there are two threads going on about control arm bushing issues, one on a seized engine, engine mounts, check engine light and plenty more. Yet people act as if previous LS's never have to be repaired. I understand that the LS460 is expensive to repair - I agree with that 100% - but the frequency in which those repairs are needed, are no different than previous models. And we all know that with a little research and after market options, many of those repair costs can be reduced ten fold.

Last edited by Doublebase; 10-08-16 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-08-16, 07:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Superdenso, agreed, with a 5.7 this would be a different discussion. But they're going to throw a turbo charged 4 or 6 in that car? Lol! This has disaster written all over it....a turbo engine by GM in a high end luxury automobile, my lord. You'd think GM would learn, but honestly they just don't care...never have...never will. Quality is not their MO...never has been, never will.

Put an LS engine in that thing and then I'm interested. I like the way the thing looks - actually I've always liked the way their cars look - hell even their Malibu's and Impala's look pretty damn nice right now, but I know enough about GM to understand how their products hold up.
I drove it with the 3.6 and the 3.0TT, Beth engines are quite good. The 3.6 moves it along just fine, smooth and quiet too although not as refined as our V8, and the 3.0TT is very strong. The car with that TT though is way too expensive for what it is. Anything over $65k or so and the car at its core doesn't deliver.

The 2.0T is ridiculous in a car like this I agree.
Old 10-08-16, 02:11 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

After test driving the CT6 & 2017 Continental., I'd choose the Continental, infact I most likely will purchase several Continentals, to replace my 375/400K mile 2011 Town Cars.
I'd buy a G90 without even test driving it. I know it's a far superior product to the CT6 & Continental.
In my business, I charge more for my Hyundai Equus, than I do the Town Cars.

Quick Reply: Cadillac Style-CT6